PDA

View Full Version : Play guess the hands against nerd and dork

Tommy Angelo
06-12-2003, 11:32 PM
And good luck. This is a most odd hand.

$15-30. NERD (never ever rolls dice) limped. DORK (doesn't only raise kings) raised on the button. Small blind folded. I called from the big blind. Nerd called. Threeway.

The flop came Ad-Kc-Ks rainbow.

I checked. Nerd checked. Dork checked.

Turn: 4d

I checked. Nerd checked. Dork bet. I called. Nerd called.

River: 2d

I checked. Nerd checked. Dork bet. I called. Nerd called.

Hints: Dork came in first. Nerd was second. I was third. And there was caution.

What'd we have?

Tommy

Zeno
06-12-2003, 11:42 PM
"What'd we have?"

A reason to quit poker.

-Zeno

Diplomat
06-13-2003, 12:02 AM
I'll make a broad guess and say you had an ace, the nerd had a flush, and the dork had one of aces full, kings full, or quads.

There's a starting point for other guesses.

-Diplomat

andyfox
06-13-2003, 12:54 AM
Nerd: Kh-Kc
Dork: Qd-Jd
TA: Aq-Qc

bad beetz
06-13-2003, 03:27 AM
quads,
deuces full,
nut flush?

ALL1N
06-13-2003, 06:08 AM
Dork: KK
Nerd: AJ
TA: Ax

pokerlover
06-13-2003, 10:25 AM
You won with Queen high.

Tommy Angelo
06-13-2003, 10:33 AM
Great answers, pretty much right in many ways. Here's the detail.

Preflop, nerd limped with AQ suited, dork raised on the button with 5-3 of diamonds, and I called in the big blind with AJ offsuit.

The flop came Ad-Kc-Ks rainbow.

I checked, thinking not much really. Nerd checked, probably thinking deeply about many things. Dork checked, thinking what a bunch of lame saps letting me draw to a flush and a straight for free.

Turn: 4d

I checked, thinking I'll just call single bets all the way and see who they shove the pot to. Nerd checked, hoping that dork will bet. Dork bet, with the monster backdoor draw that he figures he won't need to hit because everyone will fold.

I called dork's turn bet and now there was a slight lurch from nerd who all of a sudden had to rethink everything. Nerd just called, like me, waiting for a showdown.

River: 2d

I checked, ready to call. My path was chosen with the initial check on the flop.

Nerd checked.

Dork was pretty much pissing himself by now I imagine. He bet. I called. Nerd called. Dork tabled a straight flush. I mucked. Nerd looked at me with pain and questions all over his face. He showed me his AQ, as if to make sure I knew who really got sucked out on, and also in a way that said, I know you had something good, so why didn't you bet so I could raise dork out?.

But he wouldn't have raised anyway, I don't think. And not that it matters, but I don't think dork would have folded on the flop for one bet, not having raised before the flop and catching a straight-flush draw right on the flop.

Tommy

jen
06-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Your results came too soon. I was going to guess:

N: 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif (the straight flush possibility in your post was just too tempting)
D: Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
You: K /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/club.gif (of course, you probably wouldn't have played that passively with the K)

Too bad you weren't holding KK... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Ulysses
06-13-2003, 02:08 PM
Funny. I had no clue what the other two had, but I was pretty damn sure as soon as I read Tommy's post that Dork had 3d5d.

I also find it interesting that you and andy both gave Nerd the winning hand even after Tommy told you Dork won. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

jerome baker
06-13-2003, 02:52 PM
Dork: 44
Nerd: kq
tommy: aq (i'll pretty sure im wrong on this)

2nd guess: dork 44, nerd flush, tommy kq

mike l.
06-14-2003, 04:00 AM
"And there was caution."

dude youre a nerd *and* a dork for posting this hand! lol

mike l.
06-14-2003, 04:03 AM
"I checked, thinking not much really. Nerd checked, probably thinking deeply about many things. Dork checked, thinking what a bunch of lame saps letting me draw to a flush and a straight for free."

ok now i get it. it's like that story you wrote. did you publish that yet?

"I checked, thinking I'll just call single bets all the way and see who they shove the pot to."

youre 450 miles away or something. how'd you catch what ive got??

Tommy Angelo
06-14-2003, 11:37 AM
"dude youre a nerd *and* a dork for posting this hand! lol"

It's all your fault, with your love of the post-results-later thing. I gave it a try with the 77-on-the-button thread, and it felt so naughty and nice, withholding the ending, that hey, I had to do it again. Now I see why you like it. It opens up new ways for us to torture each other.

Tommy

Tommy Angelo
06-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Me: "I checked, thinking not much really. Nerd checked, probably thinking deeply about many things. Dork checked, thinking what a bunch of lame saps letting me draw to a flush and a straight for free."

you: "ok now i get it. it's like that story you wrote."

More like one paragraph of residue.

"did you publish that yet?"

Yes. It's called "Around Robin."

Me: "I checked, thinking I'll just call single bets all the way and see who they shove the pot to."

you: "youre 450 miles away or something. how'd you catch what ive got??"

You mean wimpo checkitis? I think I caught it from Mason.

Tommy

Dixie
06-14-2003, 12:14 PM
tommy,

didn't have a chance to take a guess before you posted the results but i laughed a solid 10 minutes at your acronyms.

dixie