PDA

View Full Version : I don't trust my reads

Homer
06-12-2003, 10:55 PM
Party 3/6. I raise UTG with AA. UTG+1 reraises. UTG+1 is an extremely loose, extremely passive player. He appears to be a newbie. I haven't seen him raise yet preflop. I'm close to 100% sure that he has a big pair and not big cards. It's folded around to me and I call.

Flop - 6c 4s 3s

I check-call.

Turn - 3c

I had planned to checkraise, but suddenly became inspired to bet. I had a feeling that he would blindly raise with his overpair without taking into account what I might have. So, I bet, and my opponent did raise. I three-bet and my opponent paused for a moment before capping. Hmm, now I'm suddenly not so sure that he has an overpair. But what else could he have? I still know in my heart that he has an overpair, but....

River - 7c

I check and my opponent checks it through.

Of course he had an overpair, TT.

Comments?

-- Homer

pufferfish
06-12-2003, 11:21 PM
I think he played it fine.

He was heads-up with an overpair to the flop. Why not put you on a big Ace?

No scare card came until the river club and he checked it through.

Why can’t you put him on a smaller overpair?

TC,
pf

Homer
06-12-2003, 11:34 PM
I think he played it fine.

You think he was correct to cap with such a low overpair after I three-bet the turn? I certainly don't. All signals point toward me having a larger overpair.

No scare card came until the river club and he checked it through.

That card wasn't scary given the way I had played my hand to that point. It's highly unlikely that I was on a flush draw.

That's what I had him on the whole time. That was the whole point on the post. There is no other hand he could logically have had, yet I still wussed out and checked the river, even though I had a clear bet (against some opponents a checkraise is in order).

-- Homer

pufferfish
06-13-2003, 12:13 AM
You think he was correct to cap with such a low overpair after I three-bet the turn? I certainly don't. All signals point toward me having a larger overpair.

At $3/$6 which can be aggro, I’d 3-bet your ass in a minute.

That card wasn't scary given the way I had played my hand to that point. It's highly unlikely that I was on a flush draw.

Hmmm, no chance you have a suited Ace? I would not put that crap past you.

Yad, yada – you said a “big” overpair. What is your definition?

You described him as a newbie, as a newbie I think he played it fine, sue me.

pf

yct
06-13-2003, 12:30 AM
You may have lost a few small bets on the flop. Also, if any AKQJ comes on the turn, you will not get any action from him. Thus, I think you should bet and 3bet on the flop while you can.

Homer
06-13-2003, 12:33 AM
puffer, did I do something to upset you? You sound rather hostile. If so, I apologize.

At $3/$6 which can be aggro, I’d 3-bet your ass in a minute.

I three-bet him from out of position. I bet the flop, he raised, I three-bet. Would you cap if you were in his shoes?

Hmmm, no chance you have a suited Ace? I would not put that crap past you.

It sounds like you have a lot of respect for my play.

He's not raising my turn bet without an overpair, so there's no way I'm going to three-bet him with a suited Ace.

You described him as a newbie, as a newbie I think he played it fine, sue me.

Fair enough, but no need to be hostile.

-- Homer

JTG51
06-13-2003, 12:33 AM
I don't really understand your turn bet. I wouldn't expect to get raised on the turn on that board by a new, super passive player with an overpair. I'd expect him to irrationally fear that you have a 3 and just call.

If you thought he was aggressive enough to raise post flop with "just" an overpair, I would have bet the flop and called his raise looking to check raise the turn. Given the way you played it, trust you read and bet the river.

Vehn
06-13-2003, 12:37 AM
My standard play in these sorts of situations is to bet the flop and either a) get raised there and checkraise the turn or b) get raised on the turn and 3-bet it. But whatever doesn't really matter.

He doesn't sound like much of a newbie to me.

Homer
06-13-2003, 12:49 AM
You're right, it didn't make sense based on my read of him as a newbie. I'm not sure what I was thinking other than that he might be thinking the 3 was good for him, since it makes him "two-pair".

To be honest, I'm tired and a little confused right now. I just wanted to bitch about how I can't make a read and act on it and have puffer berate me a little. I'm ready for bed now.

-- Homer

Your Mom
06-13-2003, 01:07 AM
Not really sure what puffer's problem is tonite. I have the same problem as you describe though. I think it is a result of playing on Party too much. You've seen someone turn over A3s and beat you so too many damn times so you get a little worried. Maybe if you keep track of these type of bets for a week or two and see how many you win (it will be above 50%, I promise) you will realize that you have to go ahead and bet it. Just an idea. Good post Homer.

pufferfish
06-13-2003, 01:07 AM
puffer, did I do something to upset you? You sound rather hostile. If so, I apologize.

No Homer, I'm sorry. I'd just come off a loose/aggressive $5/$10 at Paradise when I saw your post. That combined with your worst hand/best pot/tilt post; well I went aggro on you.

I three-bet him from out of position. I bet the flop, he raised, I three-bet. Would you cap if you were in his shoes?

I thought you check-called the flop? Did I miss something? OK, that was cheap.

It sounds like you have a lot of respect for my play.

I don't think I have ever played against you. It's not lack of respect; it is some small knowledge about your play.

Fair enough, but no need to be hostile.

Again, I am sorry, I was in a hostile mood. But, for a rookie in a HU situation, I don't think he did so badly.

Take care, no offense,
pf

Your Mom
06-13-2003, 01:09 AM
Fair enough. Live and Let Die.

pufferfish
06-13-2003, 01:12 AM
I am sorry. I was in an aggressive mood. I took it to far, like way off the table. Kick me!

TC,
pf

baseball38
06-13-2003, 02:26 AM
Homer J,

I think you played it correctly with the exception of a bet on the river, but like you said you "don't trust your reads". Maybe next time you will because your read was perfect.

baseball38 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

Joe Tall
06-13-2003, 08:15 AM
Homer! Wake up, buddy! Trust your read.

Preflop: Ok, don't cap it, you're heads up and your call to his 3-bet could put you on AK in his eyes, this is a good play if you make it PAY OUT!

Flop: no comments, good play.

Turn: Stick to your check-raise here, do you think a loose PASSIVE would 3-bet preflop with a pair of 6s? I know, I know, I've seen the weirdest things now-a-days.

River: Who cares about his cap, he's over playing a lesser pocket-over-pair than you, bet out!