PDA

View Full Version : So, is this play OK?

mauisupaman
06-12-2003, 08:22 PM
Micro limit PP, typical table.

MP1 limps, MP 2 limps, and I limp on the button with 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif, SB folds, and BB checks. Should I have raised here?

FLOP
[8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif ]

BB checks, MP1 bets, MP2 folds, I raise, and just MP1 calls. It's HU. At this point I feel MP is betting a flush draw or top pair, is fishing for a case 8, or is betting a pocket pair hopefully 77's or lower.

TURN
[8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif ]5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
MP checks and I check it through. I figure if MP is holding an 8 or K I'll save some big bets by checking it through with the intention of calling down the river.

RIVER
[8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif ]4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
MP checks it through again, so I know he must have a small pocket pair because I showed weakness on the turn and he would be afraid of loosing a bet on the river if I checked it through again and he was holding an 8, K, or completed his flush. So, I bet and he calls.

Is this a rational way to think through the play of this hand? Results below.
Comments welcomed,
Adam

MP had pocket 77's

Nottom
06-12-2003, 10:22 PM
I'd be more apt to bet the turn with the flush draw there and check behind on the river. If you get check-raised on the turn, then you have a nasty decision and will often have to lay down the best hand but if your opponent is pretty straight foward I think this play is best.

lil'
06-12-2003, 11:31 PM
pre-flop - I would raise with two limpers. You have the best hand, but the more people that come along, the more chance there is for an higher card to pair up.

flop - good raise, get those blinds out and you still may have the best hand, although it is vulnerable. I'm not to worried about trips, as micro-limit players would likely go for a raise on the turn and not bet right out.

turn - I would rather bet the turn and check the river (if the river is scary) than the other way around. You don't have much for outs, so a free card is gonna help him much more than it helps you.

elysium
06-13-2003, 11:14 AM
hi maui
you must raise the pre-flop; you're in the lead. and you take the lead back when you get HU on the flop. notice that had you raised pre-flop, a bet on the turn might win right there.

John Biggs
06-13-2003, 02:24 PM
I think your thought process is very sound. I have only two points:

1) I wouldn't be inclined to raise before the flop with a medium pair given how loose-passive these games typically are and how badly unimproved pairs do here. If overcards fall, players with bad kickers may not bet at you but will call you down. So your reward is small and your risk is high. If you didn't have the limpers in front of you, obviously it's different.

2) Although I fully understand your flop thinking and make the same play myself sometimes, I think it's often better to throw away the nines rather than play games where I don't have a clear advantage and may in fact be a big dog. I'd rather make my profit elsewhere. However your way to play it is definitely more fun.