PDA

View Full Version : linksys WRT54G router

rt1
10-31-2005, 03:43 AM
i just got this router... i set it all up and i can see the access point... using network stumbler to check for it. however, when i try to connect i cannot obtain an ip (i guess dhcp times out, get a 169.x.x.x ip address). i turned off dhcp and assigned my own ip.... tried to connect. still fails. baaaaaaaah.

ideas? i am about 5 seconds away from smashing this router... if i do smash it, which router should i replace it with?

-ryan

StevieG
10-31-2005, 10:24 AM
When you say you set it all up, do you mean that you used the CD setup wizard? Did you enable DHCP on the router itself? Turn on any kind of MAC address control?

Do you have a wired connection to the router that is working? Can you access the router setup pages at http://192.168.0.1?

rt1
10-31-2005, 03:24 PM
the router is setup 100%. dhcp is on, etc. i cannot get an ip from the dhcpcd server thou... i get assigned a 169, so there is no point in even trying to access 192.168.0.1...

i can see the AP and am getting a strong signal from it... however, when i try to connect to the AP, all fails.

-ryan

Wyers
10-31-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just got this router... i set it all up and i can see the access point... using network stumbler to check for it. however, when i try to connect i cannot obtain an ip (i guess dhcp times out, get a 169.x.x.x ip address). i turned off dhcp and assigned my own ip.... tried to connect. still fails. baaaaaaaah.

ideas? i am about 5 seconds away from smashing this router... if i do smash it, which router should i replace it with?

-ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

I just installed the same router myself this weekend and I was having the exact same problem. I have one computer in my office wired to the router and then my notebook connected wirelessly.

I finally called their support and on the second call the problem was solved.

Call 1 - flash the firmware. This helped briefly but within an hour I was back to limited connectivity.

Call 2 - From a wired computer connect to the router via your browser. On the setup page you will see an entry for MTU, select "Manual". In the box below labeled SIZE enter 1428.
I also changed my security to WEP 64k.

This seems to have taken care of the problem. I was on the verge of returning this router but their support was actually useful and able to prevent a violent case of routercide.

Good Luck

rt1
11-01-2005, 12:47 AM
heheh, could have used this a few hours ago. i picked up a netgear 108mb/s router and i love it. a little more expensive, but well worth the time you'll save /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wyers
11-01-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
heheh, could have used this a few hours ago. i picked up a netgear 108mb/s router and i love it. a little more expensive, but well worth the time you'll save /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a good decision. I'm back to intermittent connections - if run a continuous ping to any given website I get blocks where my request is timed out.

Maybe I'll swap this one for the NetGear router.

Wyers
11-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Hey RT,

Is this the router you picked up?

NetGear Router (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10047353&langid=EN# )

No problems with it? If your experience has been good maybe I'll trade my Linksys for this one - seems that they have a good rebate on it this week.