PDA

View Full Version : thinking about going into isolation

[censored]
10-30-2005, 11:39 PM
Lately I've been having these thoughts or feelings of wanting to get away for awhile. Away from everything I mean.

Right now i'm considering just taking my dog and some books and going camping for 3 weeks. The thought of this is very appealing to me.

The problem as I see it, is that I live in Oregon and its November. How dangerous would this be? And most importantly what kinds of supplies will I need? Would going to an established camp ground be better for something like this?

Any and all thoughts and tips appreciated.

oh yeah i'm really in a banning mood today, so umm try not to suck.

Hiding
10-30-2005, 11:44 PM
First question, Have you been camping at all before?

I don't have help as far as november in the pacific west, but you would be shocked how warm a dry tent and sleeping bag are, not to mention a good campfire.

SackUp
10-30-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3. If you make a post stating that you are leaving OOT you will be. If you make a poll asking if you should leave OOT, and you lose, you will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In all seriousness. If you live near mt saint helens and that area then I would totally recommend camping in the parks along the columbia river. The view is Amazing and you can take day trips to all the different woodland areas. Also the areas in the opposite direction near the Gorge are really awesome too. Great scenery!

[censored]
10-30-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First question, Have you been camping at all before?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in the last 10 years. The challenge is a lot of what intrigues me.

SackUp
10-30-2005, 11:49 PM
I should preface my post with the fact that I did all this in the summer and have no cool how balls cold it will be this time of year. then again I think most places you go in the pacific northwest will be that way.

if you are looking for warmth then you are gonna have to travel...dunno if this is an option though.

10-30-2005, 11:49 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/6305558159.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

tonypaladino
10-30-2005, 11:50 PM
I frequently think about doing something similar, but I don't like the outdoors. What I'd want to do is rent a room in a small town somewhere, and spend a couple of weeks reading and writing.

Maybe some day

InchoateHand
10-30-2005, 11:51 PM
Dry is key. If you have the equipment to stay dry, then you can probably stay warm. Most established campgrounds, I would guess (though I'm unfamiliar with the Pacific NW) are closed for the season. As such, camping on state land would probably be, technically, illegal.

I'd try to find somewhere secluded, but not totally isolated. Out of visual and aural range, but actually close to other people. That way, if things go wrong, you aren't far, and if things go right, you'll never see or hear from people.

Also, I imagine the you will get substantial enjoyment from planning such an endeavour, let alone carrying it out. Three weeks of batteries. Three weeks of oil lamp. Clothing appropriate for the coldest weather possible in that region. A mix of healthy simple food. A couple notepads to write in, a few choice books---something new, something old.

If you have the time luxury to do this, and feel the need for isolation, go for it. The equipment is a must, but camping in crappy conditions really isn't that hard.

AngryCola
10-30-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I frequently think about doing something similar, but I don't like the outdoors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I frequently think about doing the same, and I love the outdoors. Unfortunately I don't live in a good area for it (Kansas), and things always come up to prevent me from going through with it in Colorado.

Blarg
10-30-2005, 11:54 PM
How about working up to it slowly instead of going into a 3 week trip all at once? Like, sleep in the living room, or don't take a shower for a couple days. Maybe wipe your butt with leaves. The urge may pass quickly.

Hiding
10-30-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not in the last 10 years. The challenge is a lot of what intrigues me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its suprisingly easy, well with a grocery nearby and civilization.

Buy a tent, waterproof the hell out of the seems (this is key) and take a weekend off at a state/national park. You'll have showers and a bathroom and feel amazingly isolated.

It will cost you $30 for the campsite and $100-$150 for the tent. but you'll either love it or hate it and the relaxation/introspective (sp? or hell even a word?) is priceless if you enjoy it.

Do the whole mess, campfire, cook some hot dogs, drink a crap load of beer and stare at the stars. I highly enjoy it and it changes my prespective on life everytime.

kipin
10-30-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It will cost you $30 for the campsite and $100-$150 for the tent.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the going rate for a night at a camp ground? I hope its not $30/night... that seems like a huge rip off.

gorie
10-31-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lately I've been having these thoughts or feelings of wanting to get away for awhile. Away from everything I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]
i totally know what you mean. want any company ?

Hiding
10-31-2005, 12:02 AM
depends anywhere from 12-30 a night(for state or national parks) with no power and yeah, big ripoff

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i totally know what you mean. want any company ?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/AngryCola/webhit.jpg

[censored]
10-31-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dry is key. If you have the equipment to stay dry, then you can probably stay warm. Most established campgrounds, I would guess (though I'm unfamiliar with the Pacific NW) are closed for the season. As such, camping on state land would probably be, technically, illegal.

I'd try to find somewhere secluded, but not totally isolated. Out of visual and aural range, but actually close to other people. That way, if things go wrong, you aren't far, and if things go right, you'll never see or hear from people.

Also, I imagine the you will get substantial enjoyment from planning such an endeavour, let alone carrying it out. Three weeks of batteries. Three weeks of oil lamp. Clothing appropriate for the coldest weather possible in that region. A mix of healthy simple food. A couple notepads to write in, a few choice books---something new, something old.

If you have the time luxury to do this, and feel the need for isolation, go for it. The equipment is a must, but camping in crappy conditions really isn't that hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok this got me even more pumped up about it.

I'm going to look into campsites tomorrow and talk to some people who do spend time in the outdoors.

I was also thinking that maybe a cabin, if it is secluded and very basic could also work. I don't know if that would defeat some of the purpose and challenge though. thoughts?

TheNoodleMan
10-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Oregon isn't too cold in November, but it gets pretty wet. If you have the gear and are good at starting fires, then you should be fine. Get yourself some henry whinehardts (sp?) and have a blast.

gorie
10-31-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I was also thinking that maybe a cabin, if it is secluded and very basic could also work. I don't know if that would defeat some of the purpose and challenge though. thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, let's stay in a cabin.

wacki
10-31-2005, 12:10 AM
Instead of three weeks, work an extra week and GO somewhere cool like boundary waters, alaska, the desert, Mexico, etc. The farther out the better.

As for equipment, this will get you started:

http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/whisper_intl.asp

Water filter (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000& productId=47942344&parent_category_rn=4500461)

http://www.coldsteel.com/13rtk.html

Also, gore-tex is your friend.

[censored]
10-31-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I frequently think about doing something similar, but I don't like the outdoors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I frequently think about doing the same, and I love the outdoors. Unfortunately I don't live in a good area for it (Kansas), and things always come up to prevent me from going through with it in Colorado.

[/ QUOTE ]

See im not an outdoors person at all and its something I would normally choose to do. I'm definently a hotel guy over camping guy. But lately I don't know. I just feel like my days are filled with meaningless BS where no decision I actually make means anything. for instance what time do I get up? so what. Where do I go for lunch? so what. How many hands do I play? so what. etc etc

Now I don't know if spending time camping and away from it all would change that but for whatever the thought of it really excites me right now and is more realistic than the alternative for me which was going back in the army and trying to get to Iraq.

If that makes any sense

TheNoodleMan
10-31-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Now I don't know if spending time camping and away from it all would change that but for whatever the thought of it really excites me right now and is more realistic than the alternative for me which was going back in the army and trying to get to Iraq.

If that makes any sense

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, go camping or go to Iraq? Sounds like you could really use some time to unwind. Camping is a great way to get away from the mundane sameness of day to day life.

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I don't know if spending time camping and away from it all would change that but for whatever the thought of it really excites me right now

[/ QUOTE ]

For anyone who can even stand the outdoors, time away from modern society almost always brings a fresh perspective on things.

I go on a camping trip every year. In fact, I've gone almost every year of my life. It's a far cry from 'real' camping, though. It's basically just a festival on camgrounds near a river with lots of trees, but most people do camp out there for about a week.

Anyway, that trip always brings me a lot of peace. I would probably be a much grumpier person if I didn't get that yearly escape, and it's my belief that the calm I get from it is a direct result of the time spent outdoors away from city life. Time slows down, and the important things in life become much easier to appreciate.

Well, that's how it is for me, anyway.

wacki
10-31-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
See im not an outdoors person at all and its something I would normally choose to do. I'm definently a hotel guy over camping guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, dude, you can not just go camping for 3 weeks. It will be a disaster. Take weekend warrior trips and go someplace cool. Fly if you have too. Start small. You haven't done enough camping to go on a 3 week excursion.

Pic up some camping books/mags:
http://outside.away.com/index.html
http://www.patagonia.com/ (order a free catalog and look at the pics)
http://www.backpacker.com/

All the major magazines do a review of all the major national parks at least once a year. Go to the library and find a copy. Find a park that sparks your interest and go there.

As for shoe's

http://www.vasque.com/

again gore-tex (or generic breathable waterproof membrane) is your friend.

10-31-2005, 12:25 AM
yeah I agree 3 weeks is too long. If I was alone for 3 days I'd go out of my mind. I think you need a lot of warm dry clothes, books, paper, and a friend. Only go for a few days.

[censored]
10-31-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Ok, dude, you can not just go camping for 3 weeks. It will be a disaster. Take weekend warrior trips and go someplace cool. Fly if you have too. Start small. You haven't done enough camping to go on a 3 week excursion.

Pic up some camping books/mags:
http://outside.away.com/index.html
http://www.patagonia.com/ (order a free catalog and look at the pics)
http://www.backpacker.com/

All the major magazines do a review of all the major national parks at least once a year. Go to the library and find a copy. Find a park that sparks your interest and go there.

As for shoe's

http://www.vasque.com/

again gore-tex (or generic breathable waterproof membrane) is your friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good information wacki keep it coming.

As for the the length. I weekend or few days, sort of defeats the whole purpose. I'm looking for a challenge here. the fact that there is a very real possibility that it could be a complete disaster is what appeals and excites me. Im looking to challenge myself here.

AngryCola
[ QUOTE ]

Ok, dude, you can not just go camping for 3 weeks. It will be a disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can always leave if he doesn't want to stay there for three weeks, right?

Plus, from what I can tell, the challenge of it is one of the main reasons he is interested in doing this. Two weeks doesn't sound bad to me.

After I got well into recuperation from a serious operation and hospital stay, I wanted to "get the hell outta Dodge." I hadn't been camping since scouting days. For some reason I remembered the fun.

I went to a sporting goods/outdoor crap store and bought my stuff, loaded my car and went to the Ozarks in November. Not as cold as Oregon, but cold.

Best friggin' idea I'd had for years. This time of year you can pick and choose whether you'll have company. Some days I was nowhere near a soul. Some days I found a small town. I only spent 1 or 2 nights at any one place. I was gone for about 10 days.

The "survival" aspect is minimal, if you use common sense. The pleasure is all worth it. The isolation is refreshing. The time to just think about things without any distractions is like no other. It brought me a lot closer to a lot of things I now hold dear but had been taking for granted.

You've gotten a lot of good advice about equipment.

jakethebake
10-31-2005, 12:35 AM
I posted something like this the other day. I feel like going into isolation ot just escaping from everything periodically. I really want to do it sometimes. I have no advice, but I don't think it's specific to you. If I were single, taking off to a remote camping-type location liek you're planning sounds aweosme. I don't think it's dangerous if you know a little about camping. I envy you.

LockForward
10-31-2005, 12:38 AM
If you're trying to go camping and are going to have to start from scratch buying gear, good luck.

Make sure you get a good tent rated for 2-3 people. Practice setting it up and tearing it down several times before you take your trip. Practice doing it in the dark.

Buy a sleeping bag that will keep you warm. I like mummy bags but some aren't comfortable sleeping in them. I also like synthetic fill over down fill, as synthetic will still keep you warm even if its wet. Get a good ground pad also.

Get a nice stove suitable for what you're planning on doing. Also get cookware and buy a camping cookbook (I hate freeze-dried prepackaged meals).

Make sure you have quality clothing suitable for the conditions you are expecting to encounter.

Since you're bringing your dog be sure you have all of his shots necessary, and is currently on frontline or other pest control. Is your dog extremely reliable in an off lead situation? You still might want to keep him on lead your first few days as I'm sure he probably has less camping experience than you.

For the best camping experience make sure you have the top and bottom 10% of what you think you'll need. You need the bottom 10% to survive. The top 10% is what can keep a situation enjoyable.

[censored]
10-31-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah I agree 3 weeks is too long. If I was alone for 3 days I'd go out of my mind. I think you need a lot of warm dry clothes, books, paper, and a friend. Only go for a few days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can always comeback if I get in serious trouble. Plus don't forget I'll have my dog so I wont be entirely alone.

NLSoldier
10-31-2005, 12:42 AM
I think you should bring a cot. sleeping on the ground for that long would really suck.

[censored]
10-31-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Since you're bringing your dog be sure you have all of his shots necessary, and is currently on frontline or other pest control. Is your dog extremely reliable in an off lead situation? You still might want to keep him on lead your first few days as I'm sure he probably has less camping experience than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good stuff thanks. I'll definently have to beef up the parasite control I think. He's weird because he never gets any fleas and I dont put anything on him.

He's very good off his lead when im around. Id still bring it though when I cant keep an eye on him.

wacki
10-31-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

He can always leave if he doesn't want to stay there for three weeks, right?

Plus, from what I can tell, the challenge of it is one of the main reasons he is interested in doing this. Two weeks doesn't sound bad to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will still be a mess. He needs to go on a few weekend warrior trips and find out what he likes. He will also find out what shoes fit him well, what equipment he doesn't like, what equipment he needs, the list is endless.

Also, there are a ton of great parks in his area and they vary widely. He's got coastal, harsh and crazy NW territories in canada, mountains, hills, all sorts of crap to do. He needs to try them out, find out what kind of expedition he likes, and then go from there. This is especially true if he's doing something without a guide. If he wants to go crazy on the very first time I suggest he signs up with outward bound.

http://public.obusa.net/obpub/catreq/obn/obncrq1.asp

http://www.outwardboundwilderness.org/

Or he could find some local outdoor group like the NSS.

Camping + No experience = Bad time or Dangerous situation

P.S. one of my favorite trips is canoeing w/ people 60 miles away from an electrical outlet at boundary waters. You don't have to carry your equipment and it's still very rugged.

turnipmonster
10-31-2005, 12:46 AM
I just got done camping all across the US. the good news is oregon has some of the nicest state parks for camping in the country. you can get an ozark trail tent at walmart for $35, you don't have to waterproof it or anything like that, just set it up correctly. camping fees for oregon state parks are around $15/night. firewood is around $5/bundle, plan on using 2 bundles a night.

the bad news is it's pretty damn cold right now in oregon and you will need to have a good sleeping bag and perhaps a in-tent propane heater.

your other option is staying in a yurt, which is sort of like a basic cabin and costs around $25/night. they are great but you will need to reserve ahead especially on the weekend. any state park in oregon will give you a booklet telling you about every park there is in oregon, including if the site has yurts and if so how many.

you won't need to reserve a campsite ahead of time as the parks are not crowded. I camped and hiked the whole oregon coast, so PM me if you want more info.

camping for 3 weeks is not really that big a deal. if you were backpacking or cycling you would have to do a lot more planning. make sure to bring plenty of water, newspaper, and a good flashlight. if I were you I would plan on camping 3 nights and staying in a yurt or cabin every 4th night if you are not used to camping.

wacki
10-31-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should bring a cot. sleeping on the ground for that long would really suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better:
http://www.thermarest.com/

I don't need one though. I just use moss or pile up leaves if my back hurts which is very rare. See this is the [censored] he needs to find out.

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 12:51 AM
You essentially want him to play it safe, thus defeating at least half the purpose of the entire thing.

ChipWrecked
10-31-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the Ozarks in November.

[/ QUOTE ]

One note, as I'm from the Ozarks.

Harvest is over (almost) and the 'farms' are probably deserted or about to be.

But in the Ozark National Forest, as in National Parks and Forests in Cali and I imagine Oregon, you don't want to get too far off the beaten path. You don't want to run across any dope growers. You will disappear. I'm completely serious. A dog won't help. Just a word to the wise.

[censored]
10-31-2005, 01:06 AM
Ok im super excited now for the first time in awhile so this is going happen.

Ill start a equipment list and check it off as I go

Tent
boots
gortex jacket & pants
lantern
9MM -X
flashlights -X
gloves
long underwear
cooler-X
cot-optional

im going to go through all the links and pic some sort of guide in the next day or so. let me know if ive gotten anything

NLSoldier
10-31-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better:
http://www.thermarest.com/

I don't need one though. I just use moss or pile up leaves if my back hurts which is very rare. See this is the [censored] he needs to find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, ive used thermarests alot, ive never been impressed.

wacki
10-31-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You essentially want him to play it safe, thus defeating at least half the purpose of the entire thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um.... no.

1) I want him to do something he enjoys.

2) Camping alone in the rougher territories, even with the best of equipment, is not what I call easy or safe for a noob.

3) He wants a challenge. Climbing Mt. Everest with the best equipment you can carry or navigating the Gauley in a Kayak is going to be 100x better than the challenge of learning how to sleep comfortably in his backyard.

If he wants to really "rough it" he should practce making fire with a homemade bow and read a bunch of survival and edible plants books. Then leave the bow at home and go to a tropical island with nothing but a bowie knife, fishhooks (no pole just hooks), snorkeling equipment, water filter and some string too thick for the fish hooks. That would be a challenge, and a fun one too.

Still, he needs to study how to do that [censored] first. ANyone that says he should go on crazy week long excrusions alone without preparing is on stupid pills.

AngryCola
10-31-2005, 01:23 AM
Thanks, Captain Extreme.

wacki
10-31-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
let me know if ive gotten anything

[/ QUOTE ]

First aid kit. Basically all you need is some liquid bandaid, gauze, tincture methiolate, scalpel, tourniquet, and the most important thing IMO is a suture kit.

Of all the trips I've been on, those are the only things we've really needed.

wacki
10-31-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
meh, ive used thermarests alot, ive never been impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, it's not as comfy as a cot, but it lets you get by on rough rock and you can actually carry it. Unless you have a car or a canoe, cots just aren't practical.

jdl22
10-31-2005, 01:32 AM
My reccomendations:
1. grow some dread locks
2. get a djembe or some other african drum
3. get some marijuana
4. find an old growth forest preferably one that's soon to be logged
5. build a small shelter in the branches of the tree fairly high up
6. live there permanently

It goes without saying that I have several friends who have done all this and they stand by it.

Sponger15SB
10-31-2005, 01:32 AM
Just do what one of my roomates does. no pad, no tent, just on the [censored] ground. He is crazy.

week or so at a time camping and climbing by himself.

jakethebake
10-31-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just do what one of my roomates do, no pad, no tent, just on the [censored] ground. He is crazy.

week or so at a time camping and climbing by himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great. I used to do this a lot. I wish I could still get away to do it sometimes.

[censored]
10-31-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My reccomendations:
1. grow some dread locks
2. get a djembe or some other african drum
3. get some marijuana
4. find an old growth forest preferably one that's soon to be logged
5. build a small shelter in the branches of the tree fairly high up
6. live there permanently

It goes without saying that I have several friends who have done all this and they stand by it.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA nice work. That you can come up with a list that detailed proves every post I've made in regards to you hippy. I guess Mat said no to the hippypants idea huh?

Seriously though you can hook me up with tre arrow right?

jdl22
10-31-2005, 01:41 AM
Seriously, I would reccomend staying at low elevation. As you know it will get damn cold in the mountains.

I grew up in Sutherlin which is near Roseburg. There is a lot of camping available along the North Umpqua river that is fairly low elevation (<1000 feet). This will be cold but at least not as bad as some of the more mountainous areas. The coast could be a good option as well but iirc most campgrounds there are designed for tourists and rv types than the backpacking hippy type that you're going to become. I would highly reccomend the North Umpqua if you don't have anywhere in mind.

If you are planning on going there it is basically mandatory that add fly fishing equipment and tags to your list. The fishing is excellent but is fly fishing only.

If you want further info on this let me know. In high school I regularly went mountain biking and hiking on the trail and have camped in the area as well.

MelchyBeau
10-31-2005, 01:54 AM
you'll need a simple first aid kit as wacki said.

You will also need a parka and a good sharp knife. This can be an extremely useful tool out in the middle of the woods. I mean something like a butterfly knife, no a small swiss army knife.

I suggest you get a maglight for a flashlight. Those things are awesome.

A camera, and a book to write [censored] down in might be a good idea.

Melch

MrWookie47
10-31-2005, 02:01 AM
I'd consider getting a LED based headlamp instead of a maglight. Maglights are very heavy, and if you're going for any length, you'll have to have plenty of extra batteries. LEDs use fewere batteries, and the convenience of a headlamp is unmatched.

Cancer Merchant
10-31-2005, 02:05 AM
For fun, pick up a copy of the Army Survival Manual (online version here (http://www.aircav.com/survival/asurtoc.html) ), pick out your favorite shelter, fire source, and food gathering method, and hit the trails. See if you can live off the land.

Course, they say it takes up to a day to perform the edibility test on the local flora, so bring along at least a little food.

jdl22
10-31-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Ok, dude, you can not just go camping for 3 weeks. It will be a disaster. Take weekend warrior trips and go someplace cool. Fly if you have too.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't need to, he lives in Oregon.

Argus
10-31-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
let me know if ive gotten anything

[/ QUOTE ]

First aid kit. Basically all you need is some liquid bandaid, gauze, tincture methiolate, scalpel, tourniquet, and the most important thing IMO is a suture kit.

Of all the trips I've been on, those are the only things we've really needed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know what kind of camping [censored] is going to get up to, but if there's any hiking moleskin is a must for your firstaid kit.

I didn't click on the links earlier in the thread, and the knowledge you will need depends on what kind of camping you want to do, but I highly recommend rei.com (http://www.rei.com/online/store/LearnShareArticlesList?categoryId=Camping) for advice. They cover a lot of ground and give good advice. I will add that I am definitely on the side of getting a Thermarest. Although they aren't necessary for comfort, that isn't their true purpose (even though I've had the best sleep of my life on one) - they are important for insulating you from the ground. I'm from Canada so I don't know how vital this is further south, but camping in November without a ground pad is bordering on foolish (or foolhardy) here.

I have just one final request to make of you: don't bring your dog into the backcountry (some exceptions apply, but not on your first time).

Tron
10-31-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok im super excited now for the first time in awhile so this is going happen.

Ill start a equipment list and check it off as I go

Tent
boots
gortex jacket & pants
lantern
9MM -X
flashlights -X
gloves
long underwear
cooler-X
cot-optional

im going to go through all the links and pic some sort of guide in the next day or so. let me know if ive gotten anything

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm... Sleeping bag? Synthetic fill, rated to 0 degrees sounds good to me.

Tron
10-31-2005, 02:14 AM
This advice, especially about REI and Thermarests, is solid.

TheMetetron
10-31-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd consider getting a LED based headlamp instead of a maglight. Maglights are very heavy, and if you're going for any length, you'll have to have plenty of extra batteries. LEDs use fewere batteries, and the convenience of a headlamp is unmatched.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mini-mag is the tits. Problem is it has a rechargeable battery, but that thing is effing bright for how small it is. That, and it's like $100.

TheNoodleMan
10-31-2005, 02:18 AM
LED is the way to go. They're lighter, brighter and the batteries last longer. What more could you possibly want in a flashlight?

wacki
10-31-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have just one final request to make of you: don't bring your dog into the backcountry (some exceptions apply, but not on your first time).

[/ QUOTE ]

????

My boxer loves to camp and can climb better than most humans. He just doesn't do well with cold water.

wacki
10-31-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean something like a butterfly knife, no a small swiss army knife.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big folding knives are ok, full tang are better. Make sure it's a good steel.

NLSoldier
10-31-2005, 03:21 AM
I just realized the terrible impact this would have on OOT. If you are going to do it then I will need your password to take over as OOT mod.

mason55
10-31-2005, 04:23 AM
0) Document everything so we can make a movie out of it

1) If you bring any friends, hold onto the map so they don't throw it in the river

2) If you find a bundle of sticks with your friend's body parts, get the eff out of the woods

3) If you hear your missing friend in an abandonded house, DO NOT GO INSIDE IN THE DARK

4) Don't pretend like the movie was real

Boris
10-31-2005, 04:31 AM
Given the season, I would head for the desert. Somewhere in AZ. Try Zion or Bryce Canyon. The Chiricahua mountains in South East AZ are pretty cool. You will be alone.

admiralfluff
10-31-2005, 04:53 AM
I don't know if you've thought about particular location yet. I live in Portland, and have done a fair amount of camping in the NW, SW, and Cali. If you go to the gorge or eastern Oregon, you probably will not be happy. It will be frigid and damp at nights, and slightly less frigid and damp during the day. I would suggest somewhere along the southern coast, or maybe near ashland. Try not to die.

Argus
10-31-2005, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

????

My boxer loves to camp and can climb better than most humans. He just doesn't do well with cold water.

[/ QUOTE ]
In every instance I've seen of a dog in the backcountry its human companions have been less than aware of the responsibility that accompanies it. Not cleaning up waste properly, feeding the dog immediately outside the tent, or thinking I want to meet their dog. I also usually camp in grizzly country, and dogs can be trouble around bears.

You sound like a smart and experienced camper though; you are the kind of dog owner I'd prefer to see out there. I hope you make him carry his fair share though.

w_alloy
10-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Wacki I disagree with your whole perspective on this. I grew up in Alaska and have done a ton of camping, multi day canoe trips, climbing, etc. On some of these trips we ha a guide and good equipment, but the vast majority were impromptou "hey lets go climb back into that range stay up there for a few days and ski everything we can find and who gives a [censored] if we dont have the right gear or really know what we are doing" trips. These are always the most fun.

A large percentage of the fun, for me at least, comes from having to figure out everything for yourself, and making due with what you have. I feel with all the best gear, and with reading books and lots of guides, that it feels a lot more like you are just following directions, kind of like an assignment, which isnt any fun. I don't have a problem with books and expensive gear in and of themselves, but I think the vast majority of people focus too much on these things and lose a lot of the individual experience.

For these reasons and others, I think inexperience can add a very positive challenge to overcome and at the very least will not take away from the trip. It will make his decisions a lot more real, which seems important to him from the original post.

Also, I don't think safety is a big issue. Even with almost no "outdoor" experience, you have to do something really dumb to put yourself in real danger if you are just hanging out in the same area and aren't too far from other people.