PDA

View Full Version : Slow play AA early in a tournament?

incognito
06-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Online NL HE tourney. Maybe a half hour into the tournament, blinds are 30/60, I have a slightly-above average stack (largest at my table, however) of around 2000 and I'm dealt AA in early position.

Folded to me, I make it 180 to go and everyone folds. Bummer? I think it's probably too early in the tournament to be happy with just picking up the blinds, especially with a hand like AA. I had been playing fairly tight, but it's early in a cheap online tourney and that's probably not a big factor. Does anyone regularly slow play here?

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Doyle Brunson says the most common result with AA early in a tournament is to either win a small pot or lose a large pot. You got the better deal.

fnurt
06-12-2003, 06:14 PM
If there is quite a bit of pre-flop raising going on at your table, you can limp with AA in early position with the intention of re-raising when it comes back around.

If it's a passive table, and you limp with AA and get 6 callers, you may be setting yourself up for a world of hurt. There are many things worse than winning the blinds.

MtSmalls
06-12-2003, 06:22 PM
I believe this kind of thinking is the beginning stages of FPS. I don't think you want this to be part of your playbook!

How many posts do we have in this forum, today alone even, of a player having the best hand going in, and getting drawn out on? AA is of course the best hand before any flop, but how many people to you want to play it against?

Raise. If someone wants to play, they'll play for the raise anyway. If not, pick up the blinds, and move on (hopefully all the way to the money).