PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 Taj with AA

Mikey
06-12-2003, 04:34 PM
I have AA UTG + 2. A very good player open raises from UTG I look down and see 2 Black Aces, and think that it's a good time to 3-bet, so I do. The SB calls cold and the BB calls as well, UTG calls.

The flop comes 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif .

SB leads out, BB calls, UTG +1 calls.

I fold.

Now you tell me if I made the right play?

Diplomat
06-12-2003, 04:43 PM
"Now you tell me if I made the right play?"

No smoking crack and playing poker for you.

-Diplomat

DaBartman
06-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Yikes! I don't like it any more than you do, but clairvoyance not being my strong suit, I look at the turn.

jace
06-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Unless you're trying to be like Tommy (but you forgot to fold your aces preflop, so decided to do so on the flop), I don't understand this fold at all. Even if SB, BB, and UTG are solid rocks, you still might be ahead. It's possible that someone has a set, but it's also possible that they have big pocket pairs, KQc, even A10. I would raise and find out where I am. Even if a club falls on the turn, you know that they don't have the nuts because you have the Ac.

Manzanita
06-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Mikey,

I don't like your fold here. It would have to be an extreme player -- one who would only bet out with the nuts -- to get me to lay down my hand here. Since you didn't specify otherwise, I'm assuming that the SB is a typical player.

There are many hands your opponent could have that you are ahead of, including top-pair-with-good-kicker, an overpair, or a draw (and there is both a flush and a straight draw possible here). The only hand that really hurts you is if someone flopped a set.

Usually I would raise in this situation.

-- Manzanita

elysium
06-12-2003, 05:14 PM
hi mikey
worth a call mikey.

Lee Jones
06-12-2003, 05:35 PM
I'm wondering if we're being trolled.

Not with a crowbar could you get black aces out of my hand at that point.

Two outs to the stone-cold nuts, ten outs to the nut-flush draw, and, oh yeah - there's this pretty big chance that you're in front right now, and you have the button. And there's 16 SB's in the pot.

You're trolling, right?

Regards, Lee

TJSWAN
06-12-2003, 05:36 PM
Hands that the SB has to get ahead of you are many, but if you improve you take care of any set or 2 pair he has.I think he bet out on either 2 pair or flush draw. One more card would show if you might even get the 4 flush on the board for your A /forums/images/icons/club.gif which would give you a semi-bluff since you hold the nut /forums/images/icons/club.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J.A.Sucker
06-12-2003, 06:00 PM
This is one of the worst folds I can ever imagine. What flop were you looking for?

Tell me that this isn't serious, otherwise, take up craps.

andyfox
06-12-2003, 06:35 PM
The worst I could come up with on Two Dimes was for you to win one hand out of every 14.9. You're already getting 15 to 1 to call. I'd raise and 4-bet if they 3-bet me.

zamora
06-12-2003, 07:01 PM
reading between the lines here, i would say that UTG has 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif . SB has red tens and BB has pocket 3īs.
i think you played this hand perfectly.

CrackerZack
06-12-2003, 08:27 PM
If you're trying to shed your weak-tight image, you're failing miserably. I've played the 10-20 at the Taj. This is horrendous. After this did, you take a dump and wipe yourself with 20s to re-create the lost equity in a more colorful way?

My guess is, in a couple of days, you'll post results saying something about how someone had a straight flush draw and the other a set of Ts or something and brag about your read, etc, but judging by the number of posts you put up with plays like this, i can't imagine the number of "big" laydowns you make...nor how many can possibly be right unless you can see through card backs.

anatta
06-12-2003, 09:18 PM
This is a raise or fold. Raise if you like money, fold if you don't.

Well, I feel better about folding the winner on the river today...

Hobart
06-12-2003, 11:12 PM
A definite raise. Please give some insight with your mucking AA with a generally favorble flop. What was your reasoning ?.

andyfox
06-13-2003, 01:08 AM
Even if I was sure that's what they had, I'd take one off getting 15:1.

JTG51
06-13-2003, 01:43 AM
Me too. The only way I'm folding here is if one opponent shows me TT and another shows me the red Aces.

baseball38
06-13-2003, 02:03 AM
Mikey,

That was exactly how I would have played it. I hate money too!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

baseball38 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

ChuckRazor
06-13-2003, 02:23 AM
Did the UTG player expose his pocket tens? If not, how can you possibly make this play? Why not just muck your aces before the flop?...get it over with. You have created a new category of player: "Tight Paranoid" and I thought I was running bad.....

bad beetz
06-13-2003, 03:16 AM
I saw a book in the bookstore about a week ago on how to beat craps. There's also a book on beating roulette. They must teach you in the book how to "feel it" when your number's coming. I don't think either were published by 2+2 but we should all probably check them out in case there's any merit to them. I mean, roulett is like way, way, way easier than poker. It's like one of those zen things, how does it go? "how many babies fit in a tire?" I don't know, it's something like that.

also,

I would take 6-7 ounces of chips before I stop raising.

this flop comes in a close second to AAA.

Mikey
06-13-2003, 06:28 AM
As the flop is being dealt, I'm watching all of my opponnents.

The flop is dealt. I watch them for about 3 seconds and the SB leads out. The BB calls, and UTG calls.

I folded those Aces faster than I think I've ever folded a hand. I trusted my read, I trusted my instincts. I knew I was beat and even though I was probably wrong not to chase since I was getting "POT ODDS" I said the hell with it. I'm on a short bankroll and I can't afford to take any chances.

Now, I knew damm well that I was beat and I folded those Aces real quick without even a second thought. Here is the key word. "KNEW" I knew I was beat.

So.....you want to know what everyone had.

Well first before I tell you, I would like to say this, that every single hand played is situational. Each and every hand you play is situational, what may be totally correct one time is totally wrong another and I knew that at this point even though this may seem like a dream flop for my hand that I was crushed. I felt it, I sensed it, I knew it.

On the turn fell the J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif .

The SB lead out, the BB raised, UTG 3-bet. SB called, BB capped, UTG called.

The river was a 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif .

SB checked, BB bet, UTG called, SB called.

The hands were turned up

SB had 77 for a set of 7's.
BB had 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif for the nut straight.
UTG had TT for a set of 10's.

So...what have I learned for this. I think I should have called because if I did spike my ACE I would have gotten a lot of action because I was getting "POT ODDS" and "POSITIVE EV", but I hate calling when I'm behind, so I just said the hell with it and folded.

I didn't think twice about the hand, usually I would pride myself on such a good fold but this time, I just didn't even care, totally emotionless I waited for my next hand.

So......did i still make a bad fold, Nahh.....I think Mikey made a good fold on this one.

ALL1N
06-13-2003, 07:12 AM
Well aren't you one ginormous loser!

I bet you think you're insanely good, and i also bet that you make this play all the time in the hope that you're correct and can post about it online. But guess what? You were beat and you still screwed it up!

lol

DKNY
06-13-2003, 09:28 AM
That's one hell of a read. I would've called on the flop but with that much action on the turn, that would've been an easy fold.

CrackerZack
06-13-2003, 10:43 AM
I bet you're right one out of 10 times with this, and it gives you enough ammo to play the weakest-tightest game out there. Congrats and I look forward to the next ludicrous fold in a month or so.

I used to do things similar to this (not nearly as bad) where I watched the opponents, just knew things... blah blah blah... and you know what, I was right a couple of times early on and started thinking about how much feel had to do with it and being able to read people. Then I was wrong once, then twice, then right a couple of more, then wrong again... what was that expression? what was that smirk? did he really just fidget like that? blah blah blah... maybe the guy just had to fart...who knows... either way, when you figure out you're not Ms. Cleo, things will only get better.

ChuckD
06-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Hey,

First post, I've lurked here for the past month or so.

Mikey, was this play Saturday night/Sunday morning? You were wearing a visor and a "Soccer Stud" t-shirt? I was wearing an Adidas hat and Rider Swimming polo shirt. I recall a hand very similar to this. If this holds, damn, why couldn't you play those Aces? I could have made more!

Homer
06-13-2003, 11:54 AM
I'm on a short bankroll and I can't afford to take any chances.

The problem with this is that your bankroll is going to get smaller because you can't afford to take such "chances". It's kind of ironic that your attempt at bankroll preservation is actually going to cost you your bankroll.

Why don't you play 5/10 instead of 10/20? Work your way up.

-- Homer

Ulysses
06-13-2003, 01:15 PM
I hate calling when I'm behind, so I just said the hell with it and folded.
Yeah, that's why the guy with 89 should have folded on the flop.

usually I would pride myself on such a good fold but this time ... So......did i still make a bad fold, Nahh.....I think Mikey made a good fold on this one.
Mikey, would you still be happy with your fold had the turn and river come A-3 instead of J-6?

Now, I knew damm well that I was beat and I folded those Aces real quick without even a second thought.
Yes, it's clear that you didn't give this a second thought.

Here is the key word. "KNEW" I knew I was beat.
If your read was so good that you "knew" you were beat, you'd have a reason to just call instead of raise. Folding is silly.

So...what have I learned for this. I think I should have called
Doesn't seem like you've learned a thing, since you're still obviously very proud of what you think was a great fold.

I'm on a short bankroll and I can't afford to take any chances.
I'm sure nobody is surprised you're on a short bankroll after reading about folds like this.

ChuckD
06-13-2003, 01:50 PM
If this is indeed the hand/guy (99% sure):

The worst part was he showed he was folding A-A when he mucked. My first reaction was wtf? Between folding A-A before the turn, and showing his two Aces before mucking the hand, kinda shocked. To Mikey's defense/credit, I read set of 10s as well. Doesn't mean given same hand wouldn't look at turn.

He actually is a decent player, he sucked me out by slowplaying Aces earlier. Mikey slowplays a little too much for my taste, there was a hand (i forget details) where had he not slowplayed I would have been out, I saw a free card, made the hand.

The reason why I remember this hand are the following:

A: The displayed A's before mucking
B: Size of pot
C: The fact I made the straight on the turn and river!

Mikey
06-13-2003, 03:22 PM
No Chuck I wasn't wearing the visor and 2 I didn't show those Aces. I never show my hand.

Mikey
06-13-2003, 03:29 PM
"Yeah, that's why the guy with 89 should have folded on the flop."

He had a better chance of winning than the set of 7's and my AA vs a set of 10's.