PDA

View Full Version : Doom!

Big Bend
10-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Oh man I loved the movie! I'm 41 and totally grew up with computer games. Doom was the first computer game ever to really scare the crap out of you - playing at night with the lights off and the sound cranked was an incredible experience. It was truly revolutionary in its day. It was the first game to use mouselook enabling a real 3D experience in first person shooters. Networking code was also new allowing you to hook up to your buddie's PC (with much trial and error) and play deathmatch games. These features we FPS lovers all take for granted now, but back then John Carmack and the boys at id software really changed the world. The movie takes you back to those days, with excellent gore and effects, the kick-ass weapons, classic monsters and much more. People who don't love old FPS games probably won't appreciate it much, but I really loved this movie.

L8r.... BB

10-30-2005, 09:02 PM
incorrect about the mouselook thing, Doom was not true 3d.

Big Bend
10-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Yes it was the first mouselook game where you could move around with the keyboard while looking in all directions at the same time with the mouse... agreed it was not "true" 3D but it sure felt like it. It wasn't until I think Quake when you could go under and over [censored], but the effect with the original Doom game was truly groundbreaking at the time.

L8r... BB

Blarg
10-30-2005, 10:14 PM
It sure was. DOOM completely blew everyone's minds when it came out. First Wolfenstein blew everybody away, but its repetitive design and textures still made its limitations plain. DOOM completely blew the doors off that, and while it may not have been "true" 3D, it was close enough that it felt like a truly immersive 3D world, the first of its kind. And it definitely gave me a scare plenty of times, something most games since haven't matched up to at all.

I'll see the movie, even though by most accounts it sucked. It's kind of silly to turn something active like a game into something passive like a movie anyway. Any attempt to capture the feeling of playing a game is bound to be minimally successful.

-Skeme-
10-30-2005, 10:20 PM
I really want to see this. I hope it's scary. The previews looked sick. Graphics will be top notch I reckon.

Big Bend
10-30-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope it's scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has its moments but often I was laughing while thoroughly enjoying the experience. There are some great "FPS" effects. If you played the crap out of Doom and Quake like I did you'll really appreciate the attention to detail.

TTFN.... BB

Mangatang
10-31-2005, 12:12 AM
The Id software guys used to work for my dad's software company (Softdisk). That's where they created the 3D engine for a game called Catacombs Abyss, the predecessor to Wolfenstein. They wrote Wolfenstein without telling Softdisk, then they split off on their own, and became multi-millionaires.

Missed it by that much. My dad still gets angry when he hears the word Id. But, I really loved playing Doom (don't tell my father).

dibbs
10-31-2005, 12:17 AM
Anyone who was really into Doom when it dropped or just into computer stuff/American Dream rags to riches stories, check out Masters of Doom by Dave Kushner, it details Romero and Carmack's empire created from scratch. Interesting read.

Blarg
10-31-2005, 12:31 AM
Heheh good story. Your dad came really, really close. My family barely missed wealth, too. A good thing not to think about!

evil_twin
11-01-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes it was the first mouselook game where you could move around with the keyboard while looking in all directions at the same time with the mouse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst Doom clearly was groundbreaking and an excellent game to boot, what you have written here is wrong.

In Doom you could not look in all directions. There was no looking up and down at all and the vast majority of people used the keyboard to play it. Only in Doom 2 did they add the ability to look up and down. Perhaps once Doom 2 was released they added the ability to look up and down in Doom 1 via a patch, I'm not sure, but originally you could not.

Moreover, there were a few games which came beforehand with "true" 3d look around. Ultima Underworld in 1991 to name one, Doom wasn't until 1993.