PDA

View Full Version : Bounced out of Tourney after making a string of boats- HELP

DrShankem
06-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Playing a $10 tourney on PP last night at a pretty soft table when I hit a streak of hands that left me shaking my head. Round 3 came around and I was sitting on a dominating high stack of chips (3860), none of the remaining players had more than 1200 and all seemed easy. Post up BB and 4 players call to me and I check with a 4c 9c. Flop comes up 4d 9h 9s. I quickly check down waiting to see if anyone has a hand. Player in MP, who has been really aggressive and really loose, comes in for 100. I raise him everyone else folds and MP calls. 4th street is an Ac I bet 300, and MP goes all in. I put him on a pair of aces and call him. River is a Ad. MP flips over As Jc. A little upset at losing what I considered a sure thing I remembered the poker tour show I saw earlier that night where the odds of a pair hitting on the turn and river was 329 to 1. So I just chalked up my loss to really bad luck and was not too upset as I was high stack on the table.

Very next hand I get dealt a 2c 2d from the small blind. Everyone folds, I even up (Should I have raised?) and BB checks. Flop comes 2h 4d 10c. I bet 200 and BB calls. I put him on a middle pair, tens, fours or possible straight draw. Fourth street is a 4h. I make my boat and check raise him. BB goes all in, I figure he has either two pair or trips, either way a definite second best hand and I call. River is a Kh. BB flips over a Kd 4s and once again I am screwed out of my boat on the river. What I had now considered bad luck was making me think that perhaps I should have played differently.

Two hands later my stack is about even with the other two people who just doubled up off me and I get dealt A A. I raise it up to 250 and get on player from early position with a short stack, who goes all in. I call. He flips a Q T o. Cards come K A 9 3 J. Meaning of course that his straight beats my trip Aces.

Last hand I played of my rapidly depleting stack was a full house which lost to 4 of a kind after I went all in preflop with about 250 on a Q Q. So I got bounced out of tourney I was dominating in about 6 hands on 3 boats and preflop bullets. I am pretty new to the poker scene but I thought I played my hands well to get opponents to go all in, but it always seemed to backfire. I would appreciate any critiques that could help me avoid such a difficulty in the future.

eMarkM
06-12-2003, 04:42 PM
Absolutely amazing string of misfortune! Those are some long odds on all hands. I would have been steaming pretty bad after that, I'm sure you were, too. But there's not much you can do about it.

Hand 1: He had a 0.6% chance of winning on the flop and 4.5% on the turn. I think you played it well slow playing and having him catch up on the turn. You had him putting in all his chips with a 3 outer. Just happened to get there this time.

Hand 2: Raise the BB here and be happy to take it down. You don't really want to see a flop with just 22 as you'll be out of position and save flopping a set, everything will be an overcard on the flop. Otherwise, you did well again to get the other guy all-in with him drawing near dead. He just happen to hit--again.

Hand 3: Again, what can you do, you got him all-in with you having way the best of it and he drew out on you.

Hand 4: I would put my short stack all-in in most cases with QQ, too.

Greg (FossilMan)
06-12-2003, 05:22 PM
> I would appreciate any critiques that could help me avoid
> such a difficulty in the future.

Sure, it's easy. Don't let them draw out on you.

Really, that's all it is. You shouldn't even be second-guessing any of this. You got your money in as a big favorite every time, and then lost. If you're getting your money in that good, there is almost no chance you made a mistake.

Sure, it might have been better to raise than limp in with 22. However, I am sure that is not necessarily so. Whether raising or limping is best will depend upon the specific opponent, and how deep the money is. Both plays are right at least much of the time.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)