PDA

View Full Version : Donation Drive (Aftermath of TLB Contest)

Jurollo
10-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Ok, so the entrants in the TLB contest (8 of them) donated $315 already, which is unreal, some great donations. Now we move to phase two of the donation drive. I will open up donations, of any amount for the next week, then send it away to a charity. I also want suggestions as to where we should send it. Which of these sectors below that have been impacted would you most like to see the donations go to?

<font color="red">If you want to join the donation drive send monies to jurollo83 on PokerStars</font> I will post acknowledgements in the TLB contest stickied threads as well as a running total until Sunday. I would like to see it reach $1,000. Anyway, onto the poll.
~Justin

Jurollo
10-30-2005, 08:52 PM
I will add charity options to the poll after we decide what sector to focus on. Comments are very welcome.
~Justin

CardSharpCook
10-30-2005, 09:07 PM
FOREST!!! Linky (http://www.futureready.org/school/?pid=01541435)

We were unable to win them computers, so lets buy em!

TomHimself
10-30-2005, 09:09 PM
OT:the forest voting is over? when did it end and how close were we?

CardSharpCook
10-30-2005, 09:13 PM
No it isn't over, we high watered around 16th, but we NEVER got any closer to the top 5. By unspoken agreement, we've simply stopped voting.

Jurollo
10-30-2005, 09:15 PM
If there was an overwhelming majority that wanted to do this I would see no problem in cutting that school the check. Where exactly is it located again?
~Justin

CardSharpCook
10-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Texas... Austin?

Jurollo
10-30-2005, 09:20 PM
Ok, just curious, I mean, it is hurricane related, but if it garners more support then I would be willing to go for it.
~Justin

CardSharpCook
10-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Naw, this is probably a bad idea. Hurricane is a much needier cause. I just sent you $100.

Jurollo
10-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Thank you CSC. Total is up to $425 now. Great job so far everyone.
~Justin

Jurollo
10-31-2005, 06:06 PM
Ok looks like 1 balloon payment and a dead lock on the sectors... I would like to involve other forums here too to generate the most interest. People can throw out suggestions for specific charities as well.
~Justin

11-01-2005, 09:05 AM
I am a resident of South Florida who was recently impacted by Hurricane Wilma. I was lucky as my home is in good condition and my power was just restored last night after 1 week.

I can say, without a doubt, that support is most needed in the areas of housing. Here in South Florida alone, more than 3000 families are now homeless. I am sure that this number is miniscule in comparison to the number of homeless families still in New Orleans. For those of you voting where to send money, please consider that there are organizations handing out rations of food on a daily basis. Ice, water and non perishable food is made available by FEMA and other organizations here on a daily basis. It may not be the most gourmet of meals, but people are not starving as was the case in New Orleans when they were first struck. We were lucky here in Florida to not have to go through what they did.

There is little that can be done for these families in the areas of housing. Many families have nowhere to go as hotels and motels (that have power restored) are full, tent cities are occupied by power workers from all over, numerous buildings have been declared unsafe by the cities and counties and hundreds, if not thousands, of mobile homes in the area are destroyed completely.

I think the most important part is not where to direct the money that is contributed, but the fact that people give in the first place to help those in need. No matter what you give or where it goes, it will surely help make someones day a little brighter and that's what matters most of all.