PDA

View Full Version : Help! The bottom seems to have fallen out of my game

theblitz
10-30-2005, 07:54 PM
I have been playing 0.5/1.0 on Prima and Stars for the last month or so.

All was going well.
Suddenly, I am losing BIG time.

I am down over 5 buy-ins in the space of 5 days.

I am down 10BB/100 hands! Someone is making nice money on me.

I have lost many hands to bad beats but I am sure that I must have been leaking money somewhere.
I am not panicing because I am still up overall but almost all of that is bonuses etc.

Could this be variance? If so, then I am willing to put up with it with the knowledge that there is light at the end of the tunnel (as long as it isn't a train).
I play 6-max.

I know I am going to be told to post specific hands. However, I am also looking for a more general reply.

Maybe I should just drop down a level and build up my confidence?

10-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Variance.

As long as your bankroll can still handle the game, keep playing.

-fop

theblitz
10-30-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As long as your bankroll can still handle the game, keep playing.

[/ QUOTE ]
My overall bankroll (spread of a number of sites but easily withdrawable) is over $4000.
That should be enough.

10-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Hell, if you can beat the $1/2 game, I would move up. :P

-fop

theblitz
10-30-2005, 08:30 PM
I want to take it slowly.

I only recently moved up to .5/1 and started well.
Now I am down.

I will only move up when I have enough buy-ins that I am willing to lose.

stu-unger
10-30-2005, 09:16 PM
variance is kicking me in the teeth right now too. i dont know if u have, but id review all of my hh since things started to take a wrong turn. try and compare them to your normal play. moving down to build confidence is a good option, also taking a few days off would be smart. another idea that seems to be working for me is tightening up a lot till the storm passes.

The_Bends
10-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Thats not a big downswng. Painful yes but normal.

When I played you at Absolute you seemed solid, although that was only 200 hands or so.

stu-unger
10-30-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

When I played you at Absolute you seemed solid, although that was only 200 hands or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

r u talkin to me or OP? cuz if its me, i suck at pokah as of the 2nd half of october...

elus2
10-30-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am also looking for a more general reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

the long run is very long.

The_Bends
10-30-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

r u talkin to me or OP? cuz if its me, i suck at pokah as of the 2nd half of october...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope sorry man I was talking to Blitz

theblitz
10-30-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the compliment.

10-30-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I am not panicing because I am still up overall but almost all of that is bonuses etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bonuses just give you back a portion of the rake the sites have made from your winning hands. If you are only up the total of your bonuses, you are still up.

10-30-2005, 11:15 PM
Variance. I go through five buy-in swings daily.

10-30-2005, 11:27 PM
5 buy-ins is nothing to worry about - I only started playing NL cash seriously in August - 25NL PP - started out up the 1st 10K hands - after that went down to -23 buyins - straight down like the Titanic... after a slide like that - then you can start questioning your game!!
I got the last of it back on Saturday -I have now played 37K hands - moved up to 50NL - promptly lost nearly 4 buy-ins in 2 sessions.... now that is annoying!! In hindsight you could say I should have stayed at 25NL as I had had such a good run back up - if you believe in luck
I wouldnt worry yet and I wouldnt change anything.... 20K hands and 20 buy-ins down - then you start thinking about it.

Mercman572
10-31-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am also looking for a more general reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

the long run is very long.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your posts. Seem to understand alot of poker fundamentals statistically.