PDA

View Full Version : Just a Fun Hand

Softrock
10-30-2005, 07:14 PM
No strategy questions here. Just me with one of those hands that come around once a year or less and I debated the appropriateness of posting this but I just coudn't help myself.

Fairly average 40-80 and I'd seen one flop in an hour plus many of the people in the game know me as pretty tight BTF. Then I win two large pots in a row showing AKs and QQ. Next hand I'm in the cutoff with 9 /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif and decide I'll try to steal the blinds, so I raise. The SB who is the one guy at the table who's tighter than me, 3-bets. This means a very big hand, QQ or better. I already figure I need a miracle flop and am chastising myself for getting carried away after winning a couple pots.

Dream flop comes of 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. My opponent bets, I raise, he re-raises and I raise once more. SB just calls. Turn is A /images/graemlins/spade.gif. (Please Poker God let him have AA and don't pair the board). SB bets out, I raise, he just calls. River is a complete blank and my opponent bets out again, I raise, he calls. I show, he shows his AA and graciously says "nice hand".

When one plays Holdem well, one is always going to be on the receiving end of unusual beats more often than giving them. This was so much fun that I may have to start playing badly. I see many players who so relish making beats on people that I think that motivates them to play bad hands. The euphoria of this hand gave me a momentary glimpse into their psyche.

10-30-2005, 07:26 PM
I felt the same way you did when I flopped a set, and another guy flopped a higher set, and I hit my one out quad draw on the river. I thought to myself "So this is what it feels like."

MCS
10-30-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This was so much fun that I may have to start playing badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif nh

DMBFan23
10-30-2005, 09:48 PM
I am a lowly 10/20 Party player, but I don't see what you did wrong here?

baronzeus
10-30-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am a lowly 10/20 Party player, but I don't see what you did wrong here?

[/ QUOTE ]

T9o is pretty marginal in the CO

sweetjazz
10-30-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
T9o is pretty marginal in the CO

[/ QUOTE ]

Given hero's tight image, I think his raise here is +EV. He wins the blinds uncontested a lot here.

It's possible that he has foregone earlier +EV opportunities such that had he played those hands, his raise with T9o would be -EV (due to decline in preflop fold equity from the button and blinds).