PDA

View Full Version : Calling ranges without a good read – Is VP$IP useful?

10-30-2005, 04:19 PM
I often get to a situation usually one from the bubble at level 5, where I have a possible push opportunity. But the BB has not yet called an all-in or not had the chance to call an all-in. So how to estimate a calling range?

Would their general tightness pre-flop relate closely to how they would play against an all in?
If I estimated from the VP$IP figures on them, would the average 33er call a push only with a better hand than their VP$IP suggested they would see a flop with?

Freudian
10-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Yes, there is a correlation but it is not linear. Also you have to take into account that a lot of players play an inverted style compared to you, loose early and tight late.

pooh74
10-30-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also you have to take into account that a lot of players play an inverted style compared to you, loose early and tight late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, that reminds me I have to send a lot of xmas cards out. thx

10-30-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, there is a correlation but it is not linear.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what is the correlation?

[ QUOTE ]
Also you have to take into account that a lot of players play an inverted style compared to you, loose early and tight late.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a push/fold player calls with lower ranked cards than VP$IP would suggest, in the later rounds. And the tight on the bubble players call with less hands than the VP$IP would suggest? Ignoring fold equity for a momnet.

Freudian
10-30-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So what is the correlation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looser players have wider calling ranges. But a 60% VP$IP player does not have a twice as large calling range than a 30% VP$IP player. Most likely the difference is smaller, based on my experience.

And like I said, some loose players turn into rocks in the late stages of a SnG, especially if they have a big stack.

10-30-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But a 60% VP$IP player does not have a twice as large calling range than a 30% VP$IP player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you mean,
Thanks