PDA

View Full Version : 100 films: His Girl Friday

pryor15
10-30-2005, 04:16 PM
http://usuarios.lycos.es/disergio/comediaimages/luna1.jpg
IMBD link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032599/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxrdz0xfHNvdXJjZW lkPW1vemlsbGEtc2VhcmNofHE9aGlzIGdpcmwgZnJpZGF5fGZ0 PTF8bXg9MjB8bG09NTAwfGNvPTF8aHRtbD0xfG5tPTE_;fc=1; ft=20)

starring: Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell, Ralph Bellamy, and Abner Biberman
written by: Charles Lederer, based on the play by Ben Hecht & Charles MacArthur
directed by: Howard Hawks
NR, 92 min, 1940, USA

Perhaps the fastest-paced comedy ever made, Howard Hawks' His Girl Friday is often credited with being the first film to use overlapping dialogue, but is best known for the machine-gun rapport between its two leads. Rosalind Russell stars as Hildy Johnson, ex-wife and former ace reporter of newspaper editor Walter Burns (Cary Grant), who's come back to inform him that she's marrying insurance salesman Bruce Baldwin (Ralph Bellamy) and moving...to Albany. Burns uses every trick at his disposal to keep Bruce in and out of jail and Hildy on the story of a murderer scheduled to hang in the morning. This is one of the best comedies you'll ever see.

Although he is in retrospect listed as one of the elite directors in the history of cinema, Howard Hawks was largely ignored, or at the very least taken for granted, by his peers. His resume is one of the most prolific of all time, yet he was only nominated for one Oscar (for 1941's Sergeant York) and three Director's Guild Awards. According to the Internet Movie Database, the only major award he ever received was a Honorary Oscar in 1974. This is the man who started in silent films, directed the original Scarface (1932), had a career that spanned nearly fifty years, and did an uncredited rewrite on The French Connection (1971), but here he shows a deft comic touch. He encouraged his actors to ad-lib and improvise and set a frenetic pace to match the natural ryhthms of both the dialogue and the newspaper world it reflected. The shots are simple, with very little editing--essential in preserving the fluidity of the scenes. The breakneck speed of the dialogue is enough to hold the audience, and the amount of editing required to film the conversations in anything other than a master shot would be distracting, so Hawks doesn't try to force anything. He's smart enough to put the camera on a tripod and let his actors go.

Of course, it helps to have Cary Grant at his devious best. He's a fast-talking, conniving, egotistical, selfish bastard and no one could have played it better. This is a role he was born to play. You don't trust him--you'd have to be foolish to--but you sure do like him a lot and he sure is convincing and in a position like that of newspaper editor, he's more than willing to throw his considerable weight in any direction necessary to get the story. That includes getting Bruce arrested three different times in the span of a couple of hours on trumped-up charges and hiding a convicted murderer in a desk for the sole purpose of scooping his rivals. Ralph Bellamy's Bruce is the polar opposite. He's a naive salesman from Albany. Clearly he hasn't a clue what's going on. He's continually flabergasted when he ends up in jail. Between this and The Awful Truth (1937), we see how Hollywood has typecast Bellamy as a well-meaning hick, dependable and dull[1]. The film even makes sly mention of this when Cary Grant, in a moment of frustration says he "looks like that film actor, Ralph Bellamy". Rosalind Russell has the difficult task of going toe to toe with Grant, and she's more than up to it. She manages to strike that balance between the tough newspaperman and the compassionate female. It's a fine performance all-around. She understands this world of reporting--lives for it, actually--and while she's able to convince Bruce that she wants to settle down, and possibly even convinces herself for a time, her fellow reporters don't buy it, and neither do we. It's obvious this is where she belongs. One of the reporters lays 3-1 odds that the marriage won't last 3 months, but no one will take the bet. Nor would we. The only person who might is Bruce, but he's in jail for stealing a watch.

[1] To his credit, Bellamy would later subvert this trend and show a great deal of range. He won the 1958 Tony Award for Best Dramatic Actor and worked steadily until 1990's Pretty Woman, his final film.

ChipWrecked
10-31-2005, 01:07 AM
Hawks props, just watched Rio Bravo again the other night. Classic.

Colonel Kataffy
10-31-2005, 03:20 AM
I've always like His Girl Friday, though I'm not a big fan of Rosalind Russel. Although she plays a woman in a mans world, she's a bit to husky to be charming. Jennifer Jason Leigh plays essentially the same character in Hudsucker Proxy, and is much better.

Howard Hawkes might not be greatest american director, but he's probably in the top five. He made Bringing Up Baby, also starring Grant, which might not be greatest comedy every made, but its probably in the top five.

diebitter
10-31-2005, 03:40 AM
Nice review.

Your top 100 reviews are starting to depress me, I think of myself as a film nut, but I've not seen most of them so far /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think I'm more a 'bottom of the barrel' type guy...

Blarg
10-31-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is often credited with being the first film to use overlapping dialogue

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely LOVE this about Hawks. I was amazed the first time I saw The Thing at everyone in the Arctic camp talking over each other, and no line was necessarily more throw away or just put in for color than the other -- you actually got the feeling that these were real people relating normally. What a stunning shock! At least when compared to the movies of the last 30 years or so.

William Goldman wrote very well about the current habit of stars to insist that every line of good dialogue be taken from everyone else in the script and given to them. Many actors now even come with their own writer, who is expected to be able to rewrite parts of the script to their liking. This is why you often see similiar situations and bits of dialogue in some actors' successive movies. Taking all the good high points in the script for oneself turns a lot of movies very grey and dull, propping the lead actors against a lifeless background and back story that you're not sure you want more of or less of, because it seems so wan and drained. Star parts can be very one-note and it can seem like they're in an entire universe built only for themselves.

Compare to the lively world of Hawks, with everyone yapping, and the star getting out-quipped once in a while by the most casual passerby and seeming to think nothing of it. And it happens in wide angle, where you can see the life passing in and out of frame, going about its business, contributing to a feeling that you have not been treated to the perfect framing for a scene, but are actually seeing a piece of real life going on, with lots of interesting things in it. You get to pick and choose your focus in an interesting world, rather than being force fed the filmmakers' vision of the thumpingly obvious. It's wonderful to see Hawks letting a world be itself, and letting the audience appreciate and discover it. Watch for how many times any but the lead actors in modern pictures say anything of particular interest. In many of today's movies, there's not a single character worth paying attention to besides the stars, with maybe a sidelong glance to the main co-stars for a quick bit of color or some interaction that again redirects the focus to the star.

I wish we had more people directing today who would let the audience savor a scene in wide angle and discover things at leisure, like Welles, Renoir, Kurosawa, Ozu, and Hawks, rather than condensing all the good dialogue into one or two parts and then MTV'ing the whole mess into kibble.

diebitter
10-31-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hawks props, just watched Rio Bravo again the other night. Classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks Gary Cooper did the right thing by asking amateurs to help him in High Noon should be forced to watch Rio Bravo. Hawks made it cos he was so peeved that High Noon showed a lawman doing this /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pryor15
10-31-2005, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your top 100 reviews are starting to depress me, I think of myself as a film nut, but I've not seen most of them so far /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

a large part of that is probably because i'm going in a quasi-chronological order and am still on mostly very old films, save for the occasional "modern" one.

diebitter
10-31-2005, 06:15 AM
mixing em up might be an idea, cos you'll get more discussion on the recent ones. If you keep doing old ones, only the film nuts will talk about it, and the rest will start zoning you out, and maybe (hopefully not) zone you out when it gets more up to date...

just a dumb suggestion.

All good reviews so far though!

pryor15
10-31-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
mixing em up might be an idea, cos you'll get more discussion on the recent ones. If you keep doing old ones, only the film nuts will talk about it, and the rest will start zoning you out, and maybe (hopefully not) zone you out when it gets more up to date...

[/ QUOTE ]

i may do that every so often, actually, just for a change of pace. that, and i'm not posting some of the more obscure ones in OOT (like 44 minute Buster Keaton comedies).