PDA

View Full Version : Loose 5/5 NL: No respect on raises!!!

SparrowHawk
10-30-2005, 03:49 PM
I am sure this question has been asked before...so forgive the repeat post:

Local underground clubs: 5/5 NL games:

I am solid TAG.

When I have a quality hand I raise anywhere from 35 to 50 pre flop. I get 3 to 4 callers!!! This is how the table flows. There is no respect for raises.

I have changed games and clubs and find the same mentality.
"Any two cards can win, so why not just look at a flop"

It is though these players are not playing poker, but just gambling outright.

How is best to play against players who don't pay attention to odds, raises, position? How can you put these players on hands?

I have tried limping? I have tried raising higher? I have resolved to get in cheap and look for nut hands to beat these guys.

I would love to hear thoughts on strategy against these type of tables and players

bugstud
10-30-2005, 03:53 PM
lock/ban plz

if you can't beat the bad players, why do you expect to beat the good players

ryanghall
10-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Yes, these games play much differently than online games.

Basically, if people are going to call you anyways, my strategy is to become even tighter than normal. Wait until you have a monster and then milk them.

Hands I have particular difficulty with in these loose live games are AK/AQ. Since people really aren't paying attention to your cards/raises as much as their own, I've found through trial and error that I often like limping these hands and playing small pots with them. Then when I raise once every two hours with QQ/KK/AA, I *still* get action anyways so raising to help image definitely doesn't matter.

Of course, if you have AK and you think you can narrow the field, you should with a raise. It becomes quite an awkward hand, however, if 5 people call your raise and you hit a King or KQT flops or something.

Hope this is some help, anyway (although I consider myself a much better online player).

ahnuld
10-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Easy, play ABC, dont cont. bet unless your AK AQ flops a pair. buy in cheaper and then u have less problems. AA riased to 10 bb with 40 bb left will be allin on any flop.

SparrowHawk
10-30-2005, 04:08 PM
I didn't say I can't beat them. I was asking about different strategies. This forum is for constructive conversations and insights.

Considering these type of players are everywhere now, it warrants the post.

Your comments are just plain arrogant and self serving.

10-30-2005, 04:17 PM
ysscky /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i've been waiting for a good time to say this

arod15
10-30-2005, 05:19 PM
PATIENCE. I also am less willing to put a raise in like than with AQ. You have to adjust your game a bit to play with these fools. While AK is normally a hand i raise with if your early, i limp and hope to reraise people out later. The key is waiting. With these people at the clubs they play so poorly that if you can just wait a situation will arise. I think the hardest part is playing your AQ AJ and missing flops. So like i said if your early with a good hand limp and hope to reraise if you have a montser hand make it 45 to 55 to go. THey will still call. ANd whatever you dont get frustarated. People coldcalling with trash is why you make money. .....

10-30-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lock/ban plz

if you can't beat the bad players, why do you expect to beat the good players

[/ QUOTE ]

Lock/Ban? The guy is asking a legit question looking for insight to improve his game. I don't see how that's unwarented.

orange
10-30-2005, 08:22 PM
You won't be complaining when you hit your set and stack 3 people at once. Or straight/flush. I play in games like these as well- if you want to isolate better, raise more PF.