PDA

View Full Version : Passing out on EV+ situations?

10-30-2005, 03:04 PM
I just started thinking about this, but I cant quite reach a conclusion.

If SNGPT says it's a clear push, (0.7%+) concidering your table-image as well, does that always justify making the push?

I'm guessing the answer I'm gonna get is no, so, in what situations should I not make the EV+ push waiting for an even more EV+ situation? I'm thinking ITM play should maybe be played more by feel than by ICM. Waiting your opponents out and catching them off guard instead of pushing slight EV+ situations, manipulating them into thinking you dont push any hand etc etc.

So the question: when is it most likely correct to pass out on EV+ situations? ITM? At the bubble with a lowstack out there (how low?)? As a highstack nearing the bubble, almost guaranteeing yourself ITM?

Simplistic
10-30-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just started thinking about this, but I cant quite reach a conclusion.

If SNGPT says it's a clear push, (0.7%+) concidering your table-image as well, does that always justify making the push?

I'm guessing the answer I'm gonna get is no, so, in what situations should I not make the EV+ push waiting for an even more EV+ situation? I'm thinking ITM play should maybe be played more by feel than by ICM. Waiting your opponents out and catching them off guard instead of pushing slight EV+ situations, manipulating them into thinking you dont push any hand etc etc.

So the question: when is it most likely correct to pass out on EV+ situations? ITM? At the bubble with a lowstack out there (how low?)? As a highstack nearing the bubble, almost guaranteeing yourself ITM?

[/ QUOTE ]almost never.

pergesu
10-30-2005, 03:09 PM
You said that +0.7% is a clear push according to SNGPT...and then ask if you should pass on slightly +EV situations. When the blinds are huge, 0.7% is way too big to pass up. If you've come to that number using mostly correct calling ranges, then you definitely would not want to pass it up.

Deep stacks are the time you can pass on small edges, because there's plenty of time to find better situations. But when the blinds are big you simply can't pass up good edges....0.5% is the default cutoff point in SNGPT, and that makes sense to me.

Freudian
10-30-2005, 03:14 PM
I almost never do it when blinds are big. I do it probably quite often in level 1-2 when I don't want to risk to cripple my stack by pushing marginal situations.

But I am a wuss.

10-30-2005, 03:15 PM
So I guess SNGPT has more power in its P than I thought huh. I'm probably a bit biased by my current downswing and that might be why I question it.

Anyways, thanks for putting me back on track.

microbet
10-30-2005, 03:20 PM
There are often situations with deeper stacks where it is +$EV to push, but more +$EV to raise and play from there. Obvious example is pushing AA on the first hand. (could be optimal if you KNOW your table will call you)

Heads up at the end, I think when you have a very weak opponent it is good to pass on some moderately +$EV spots. Those spots could be no pushing when you are dealt 32o, which might be +$EV if your opponent is really too tight.

bawcerelli
10-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Passing out on EV+ situations?

yeah, sometimes I faint when dealt pocket aces.

pooh74
10-30-2005, 04:17 PM
It depends on my opponents. Where I feel they are pushing close to optimally, I will do the same, never passing a +EV spot. But, sometimes, especially HU where I feel my opponent is very loose calling PF but super weak-tight postflop, I might call a bit more knowing I can be even more +EV after the flop.

You're right that it is a "feel" thing too...Unlike some here, I would never base all of my bubble/ITM decisions on ICM alone...ICM/SNGPT is VERY helpful in just recognizing them which is the most important step.

Let me just add that what I wrote above is wrong in a way because "feel" can always be incorporated into your EV analysis...IOW, "I feel that this guy is sick of me pushing and may spite call"...you can simple widen his range and account for that...your "feel" is always a part of the calculation. but I know what you mean.