PDA

View Full Version : Sam Cooke is awesome. Recommend similar music.

jcmack13
10-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Love Sam Cooke, but otherwise there is a serious dearth of soul in my collection. Suggestions?

istewart
10-30-2005, 02:31 PM
http://www.spacerad.com/rabbit/collardgreens.jpg

CardSharpCook
10-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Fats Domino, The Drifters, Nina Simone, Otis Redding, and, of course, that wicked wicked Picket (Wilson Picket). Fats is the closest to Cooke, but this is the direction you should be heading.

Do you like good music?
That sweet soul music?

Ice Man
10-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Kenny Loggins.

xadrez
10-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Def. get Otis Redding. Everything you can find.

imported_The Vibesman
10-31-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fats Domino, The Drifters, Nina Simone, Otis Redding, and, of course, that wicked wicked Picket (Wilson Picket).

[/ QUOTE ]

Also Solomon Burke, Carla Thomas (did a great duet album w/ Otis Redding), the old Ray Charles stuff, Sam and Dave, Booker T and the MGs, Aretha Franklin, Joe Tex and the Sexolettes, Jackie Wilson, Clyde McPhatter (original lead singer of the Drifters, but most of the Drifters stuff you find nowadays is the Ben E King era or later), The Four Tops and the Temptations (I'm not really big on Motown, but these last two bands and Jackie Wilson are still incredible.)

nothumb
10-31-2005, 12:38 PM
A great, current band you might want to check out is the Holmes Brothers. They have an album, "Where It's At," the title track of which is a Cooke tune IIRC. Based out of NYC, if you ever get the chance to see them live, do it. They are the best live blues/R&B group I've ever seen.

NT

xadrez
10-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Let me post some more now that I have some more time...

How could I forget the LP, Donny Hathaway - "LIVE". Only, make sure you get the version that includes his rendition of "Jealous Guy" (the John Lennon song). Its absolutely amazing. In fact, Ill go so far as to say that any respectable R&B collection needs this, period.

Also, you need Sam Cooke's Live at Harlem Square if you dont already have it.

Other Artists: O.V. wright, Charles Wright, Shuggie Otis, Ann Peebles, Camille Yarborough, Esther Phillips, Al Green, Ben E King, Bill Withers, Young-Holt Unlimited, The Spinners, Cymande, Eddie Bo, The Dramatics, James and Bobby Purify, King Floyd, Lee Dorsey, Syl Johnson, William De Vaughn.

For compilations, check out the "Eccentric Soul" series, anything by Keb Darge (these might go too far into funk disco for your taste), and also the numerous Stax Anthologies.

imported_The Vibesman
10-31-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolute necessity. The opening credits of "Ali" include a recreation of one of the performances off this album, a song called Bring It On Home To Me.
[ QUOTE ]
the numerous Stax Anthologies.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a nine-CD set of the Stax-Volt singles, and an 8-CD set from Atlantic Records of their singles, both are a bit pricey but well worth the money to anyone that wants to instantly beef up their classic R+B collection. I have both and they are incredible collections. Due to the distribution deal between Stax and Atlantic back in the day, there is some overlap between the sets, but not a ton.

xadrez
10-31-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolute necessity. The opening credits of "Ali" include a recreation of one of the performances off this album, a song called Bring It On Home To Me

[/ QUOTE ]

This album is one of my "Goosebumps" albums. I love it when you can hear the crowd singing along in the background.