PDA

View Full Version : Not to pick on V. V. P., but...

Rushmore
06-12-2003, 12:36 PM
...last night, he uttered what I think is his least-informed commentary yet.

Headsup. Chip Jett has 8/9 in his hand and a board of TJxxx at the end. He has missed his straight draw, and Lederer has bet at him. Mr. Van Patten offers this:

"He has so much invested here, he has to decide if he just wants to call it down."

This is the exact quote. There was betting on every street. So, then, I suppose the odds of 9 high standing up are good enough to consider a call here?

Obviously, it will be said that he meant "...must decide whether or not to make a play for this pot...," but that's not what he said. These are totally different things, and yes, I am saying that he should know the difference.

Also, surprisingly enough, Mike Sexton said something fairly odd, as well.

Again: headsup. Jett calls preflop with T/8. Flops 7-high rags. Gets bet at and calls a decent chunk of change. Mike Sexton calls this "a marginal call."

This is an awful call. Flat-out. I'm sure there is someone among us who will say otherwise, but it was not "marginal." It was "tilt-inspired."

OK. Sexton's remark wasn't quite as egregious as Van Patten's. But I expect better from Mr. Sexton, somehow.

Lastly, somewhat off-subject: Jett got fairly inflamed when Lederer sucked out on him toward the end. I don't recall any sort of reaction from Lederer when Jett sucked out on him with a 22-1 draw not 20 hands earlier for a big pot (I believe it was a 4 or a 6 on the river??).

In any event, I'd say that Lederer dominated him and was clearly the superior player.

At least, that's what I discerned through all of the rest.

Rushmore
06-12-2003, 12:47 PM
I tuned in late, and did not realize it was a limit tournament. Too much Bushmills, too much channel surfing.

This, however, does not invalidate the notion that CALLING with T/9 in the hand sited would be inane. The only play at the pot would be a raise in the hope that Lederer was on a draw himself.

Other than that, I'd say that my post is about as ill-informed and unnecessarily mean-spirited as I could muster up.

I'll do better in the future.

Easy E
06-12-2003, 02:26 PM
I'm starting to think that Vince is there for just that reason- to generate reaction. Sort of like Simon on "American Idol" but without the expertise.

nicky g
06-13-2003, 06:43 AM
Bushmills... yum.

Myrtle
06-13-2003, 08:39 AM
I think Vince is there purely for "window dressing", i.e., to attract those who might be familiar with him because he is a "star" and his presence/comments might hold them to the broadcast.

If this is so....Let's hear it for Vince, as he makes some of the most common foolish "strategy" remarks that will have no effect other than encourage poor players watching to continue their poor play.

I'm all for anyone who can add poor players to the aquarium!

The sad part of all of this seems to be that Sexton appears to be faced with having to "support" VVP's silliness for the sake of broadcast appeal. I'll betcha he's biting his tongue as he does it!

Also, is it not true that their commentaries are done "post play" and therefore they can "tailor" them to the viewing audience?

hutz
06-13-2003, 09:50 AM
Sexton surely must now know how Steve Stone felt having to prop up Harry Carey after Harry announced Hector "Villanova" had made a play or a "long drive" was caught by the second baseman just beyond the infield dirt.

At least Harry had an excuse -- he was drunk and/or senile when he made mistakes. VVP is just a dork.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-13-2003, 12:13 PM
Don't you know he's a "Hollywood home game ace?!"

mike l.
06-15-2003, 02:49 AM
i think vvp does a fine job. he's got a pretty face in an ugly overdone plastic non-celebrity sort of way and he has 3 names. i think the asian audience will like that "van" is part of his name and feel some sense of camraderie. i also like when he says incredibly stupid things because i want the public who watches these shows and comes into the cardrooms to be as ready for the looting as possible.

as for lederer watching him play was depressing. he sucked out with runner runner crap, called down w/ K high, bluffed at unbluffable players, and basically made a complete ass of himself the same way i do every time i go play. the depressing part was not watching him win, but hearing them say he's considered one of the best limit players around. seriously, i play just like him all the time and i could relate very strongly to all his shorthanded and semi-short play. if that's as good as it gets then im screwed.