PDA

View Full Version : I know this belongs in comp tech, but no one looks there

Jurollo
10-30-2005, 01:53 PM
I just restarted my computer after the newest XP update and now when it tries to load windows it gets to the logo then a quick blue screen with nothing on it and it reboots immediately and does the same thing. I tried booting it from a Windows XP disk but it gets to the Windows Setup screen and eventually restarts after loading all the devices it freezes at loading keyboard layout.
~Justin

Exitonly
10-30-2005, 01:56 PM
try booting to safe mode, then doing system restore (if you have it enabled), if not i think you can uninstall the updates too.

10-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Could be alot of things...

Worst case scenario, there is something wrong with the boot sector on your hard drive, best case scenario, you got a virus.

F8 into safe mode (if you can't get there, there is something wrong with the hard disk).

If you can't get to safe mode, I reccomend formatting (low level format if at all possible, some distributors like Dell have that option on the diagnostics disk), and reinstalling windows. If you do have a diagnostics disk, run that first and check your hard drive for errors, that takes a while to do. Also, if you think there is a major problem with the disk, there is a program you can download off the web and put on a disk that will low level format your hard drive if needed, I'd use that as a last resort though, it will wipe it 100% clean (even cops can't pull old data off it with this program) and it takes a long time to do it.