PDA

View Full Version : Forum Changes

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 12:51 PM
The forum was just upgraded this morning, as you can probably see. With this has come a few good things, like the visible thread ratings, a few bad things, like no longer seeing how many replies are new, and quite a few ugly things.

Here are the problems:
<ul type="square"> Signatures are turned on. Please check and see if you have a signature. If you have a signature that advertises an affiliate program or is otherwise spammy or offensive, you will be banned until it's fixed.
Instant Graemlins, Instant UBB Code, and Instant Font Color Don't work at present time. Life sucks, and then you type out the code by hand. (Edit: FIXED!)
The profanity filter is currently turned off. THIS IS NOT A LICENSE TO GO SWEARING! Instead, I know some people type some curse words knowing they will be censored. Some people even pick their choice of curse words when wanting to refer to the moderator [censored], rather than type it all out. Instead, please refrain from swearing at this time. If you must, type something like !#$%, or type out [censored] if you want to get the point across. I hate to say it, but failure to comply is an offense worthy of banning.[/list]

I don't like to be laying down the law, but it's more that I want to give you a stern warning so that you know before you get banned for doing something you didn't even know was wrong. You're a good crew. I trust you guys won't be doing any of this.

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Other changes that are for the worst (I'll keep posting them as I find them):

No moderator is green anymore. We are all still moderators. They're still marked with a little M when posting in their home forum.

The search feature is now limited. If you search for something, you are blocked from doing another search for some number of minutes. Clicking on a user's name and selecting "Veiw all of this user's posts" counts as a search.

DCWildcat
10-30-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The search feature is now limited. If you search for something, you are blocked from doing another search for some number of minutes. Clicking on a user's name and selecting "Veiw all of this user's posts" counts as a search.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any idea why this is? It kind of defeats the purpose of searching for something with a title you don't remember, doesn't it?

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 01:04 PM
It's to reduce the load on the CPU and the database, presumably.

Another problem: There is now a limit on the number of PM's you can have in your box. If you get a message that you have too many, you'll have to delete some of your PM's before you can send (or receive?) any.

bozlax
10-30-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
like no longer seeing how many replies are new

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a "feature"? Because, if so, this may be one of the worst upgrades in forum software history.

bozlax
10-30-2005, 01:09 PM
This thing with sorting all the messages on the same level in reverse-time order is going to take some getting used to, too.

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This thing with sorting all the messages on the same level in reverse-time order is going to take some getting used to, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that something in threaded mode, instead of flat mode?

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 01:11 PM
It IS! That's disgusting! Man, this was a terrible upgrade.

Kumubou
10-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Enjoy? This is right up there with the Tain network launch for 'ugliest poker-related roll-out of the week'.

Also, the forum list no longer displays the number of new posts in a thread, ugh. [This was alrady mentioned, but it needs to be said twice.]

-K

bozlax
10-30-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that something in threaded mode, instead of flat mode?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeppers, and lemme tell ya, IT SUCKS! Ugh.

Interestingly, when you click into a thread where you've read some posts but there are new posts it seems to take you to the newest post automatically. Of course, this kind of blows if you haven't read ALL the posts, or if there's more than 1 new post, since all the post titles look the same once you've read any of them.

WUE.

StevieG
10-30-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Instant Graemlins, Instant UBB Code, and Instant Font Color Don't work at present time. Life sucks, and then you type out the code by hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted a fix for this in OOT, and also mailed it to forum-master at twoplustwo

bozlax
10-30-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, the forum list no longer displays the number of new posts in a thread, ugh. [This was alrady mentioned, but it needs to be said twice.]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, no distinction is made in the post-list between posts in a thread that you have read vs. ones you haven't. [This also deserved a second mention, IMO.]

bozlax
10-30-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This one appears to be fixed?

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 01:19 PM
I posted the link to your fix in the moderator forum. Hopefully it'll be seen. Also, it looks like they're now showing unread new threads as different from the total. Yay!

adsman
10-30-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This one appears to be fixed?

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears so. God, I can't begin to tell you how much I want to write [censored] and [censored] and [censored] now.

Nfinity
10-30-2005, 01:22 PM
"The search feature is now limited. If you search for something, you are blocked from doing another search for some number of minutes. Clicking on a user's name and selecting "Veiw all of this user's posts" counts as a search."

"Instant Graemlins, Instant UBB Code, and Instant Font Color Don't work at present time. Life sucks, and then you type out the code by hand."

Time it takes to do the digest when I am short on links = +8 hours

kapw7
10-30-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"The search feature is now limited. If you search for something, you are blocked from doing another search for some number of minutes. Clicking on a user's name and selecting "Veiw all of this user's posts" counts as a search."

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I have a suspicion that this restriction does not apply when you search for "Aff***s-R****k" /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, this site makes tons of money from adverts. Why don't they use some to buy proper hardware/software?

Rev. Good Will
10-30-2005, 01:55 PM
you not being green is so weird...

and the "Stock" avatars are cute

POKhER
10-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Havent noticed any downsides yet, so currently happy with the changes.

Rev. Good Will
10-30-2005, 02:08 PM
whoa! newer replies are on the top? thats not cool

EDIT - looks like I'll have to be one of the cool kids now and read in "flat" mode /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Guthrie
10-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Hitting the back button to edit a post wipes out the text. I've seen this from time to time on other forums, and it's a real drag, forcing me to constantly copy the post to the clipboard for fear of losing it.

Hitting the back button while reading a post frequently goes to an entirely unrelated post, not the previous one.

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 02:13 PM
Agreed. I liked the ability to hit back, check something, hit forward, and then make the post.

nomadtla
10-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Mine is still showing the number of new replies /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guthrie
10-30-2005, 02:17 PM
I click on an original post and get the first reply instead. I hit the back button and get the next reply.

Sometimes, of course, not always, which makes debugging a [censored].

trainslayer
10-30-2005, 02:37 PM
the post your replying to is listed in it's entirety at the bottom of your reply page. just scroll down to view it if your not quoting.

if you want to refresh your memory of something someone else posted while replying, click file menu -&gt; new -&gt; window and click back to go back to the original thread. then swap back and forth between the two windows until you finish your reply.

edited for spelling

Greg J
10-30-2005, 02:47 PM
At least I still have a cool little flag beside my name. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm sure the people in this forum will behave fine in this period of chaos. Now the poor mods in oot and the zoo... those poor bastards are pulling thier hair out I'm sure.

nomadtla
10-30-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At least I still have a cool little flag beside my name. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm sure the people in this forum will behave fine in this period of chaos. Now the poor mods in oot and the zoo... those poor bastards are pulling thier hair out I'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah going to OOT in times like these make me realize what a great forum this is they started a thread for censored words. What a bunch of [censored] kids. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TomBrooks
10-30-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mine is still showing the number of new replies /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

TomBrooks
10-30-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The search feature is now limited. If you search for something, you are blocked from doing another search for some number of minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]
This will increase the number of repetitive new threads that get posted, especially on the always popular and current hot topics. I often have to modify my search parameters and search more than once to find what I want. Expect to see the forums more cluttered going forward.

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 05:57 PM
UPDATE: It looks like signatures have been disabled, but if you had a sig at the time they were turned off, it's still enabled. Please, if you currently have a sig, delete it from your profile.

Aaron W.
10-30-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've become a convert to "Flat" mode as a result of this.

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 08:47 PM
About bloody time if you ask me /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I sent Chuck an e-mail. Hopefully he's looking into it.

Aside: I'm greeeeeeeen!

Rev. Good Will
10-30-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice name! new power?

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I got a little trim, too. It's good to be green.

Rev. Good Will
10-30-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my, I didn't even notice, looks g00t

gharp
10-30-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my, I didn't even notice, looks g00t

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently we're also now under the iron fist of GREGATRON.

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 09:07 PM
As far as new powers, we didn't get much that's all that visible to you guys. The admin section of the site was overhauled, however, making it easier than ever to ban anyone who steps out of line. Hear that?! That's what I thought.

It's also easier to track which mod banned someone, so we know who to talk to if someone is asking us to get unbanned. Fortunately, Greg and I don't have to worry about that much.

Rev. Good Will
10-30-2005, 09:12 PM
signatures are now off /images/graemlins/frown.gif

aK13
10-30-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
signatures are now off /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. The max chars for signature are set at 0, so if you try to change it, it won't let you. But if you've had it in there, it still remains. (I tried changing mine, didn't let me, but it's still showing).

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Yeah, but I can delete it. Mods are hunting these down.

Redd
10-30-2005, 10:24 PM
For those who are concerned with the new severly handicapped search function: Google can usually act as a decent substitute when searching for specific hands. Don't forget that you need to add site:forumserver.twoplustwo.com in the Google search bar like in this example. (http://tinyurl.com/8b55k)

nomadtla
10-30-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those who are concerned with the new severly handicapped search function: Google can usually act as a decent substitute when searching for specific hands. Don't forget that you need to add site:forumserver.twoplustwo.com in the Google search bar like in this example. (http://tinyurl.com/8b55k)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that does it I'll never use 2+2's search function again thanks redd. I couldn't really get a grasp on the search function to begin with.

Aaron W.
10-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Some links don't work anymore... See this post (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=&amp;Number=2048893&amp;page=&amp;view =&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=), for exmaple. All the links need to be changed to "archiveserver" instead of "forumserver".

Redd
10-30-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some links don't work anymore... See this post (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=&amp;Number=2048893&amp;page=&amp;view =&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=), for exmaple. All the links need to be changed to "archiveserver" instead of "forumserver".

[/ QUOTE ]

Dubya speaks the truth. Ditto this for google searches to archiveserver.twoplustwo.com.

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks for spotting that, guys. That's an important one.

deception5
10-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Good news is that they said they would split the hush forum after the software was upgraded.

MrWookie47
10-30-2005, 11:06 PM
There's some talk about that in the mod forum, but it's far from a top priority right now w/ all the other stuff going on that needs fixing.

Nfinity
10-30-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good news is that they said they would split the hush forum after the software was upgraded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dibs on MOD!!

SHOTGUN IT!!!

benkath1
10-31-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are trims available to all posters, or just mods?

MrWookie47
10-31-2005, 12:53 AM
This is something that is currently being discussed amongst the mods and admins. Is it possible? Yes. However, we don't want to start changing people's names because of possibly inciting forum chaos. At present time, it's not happening. If it ever happens, it will have to be personally approved by Mat, and any change you make to your name would almost certainly have to leave your new name recognizable as to who you were, ala benkath1 --&gt; benkath. Don't hold your breath about this, however.

benkath1
10-31-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is something that is currently being discussed amongst the mods and admins. Is it possible? Yes. However, we don't want to start changing people's names because of possibly inciting forum chaos. At present time, it's not happening. If it ever happens, it will have to be personally approved by Mat, and any change you make to your name would almost certainly have to leave your new name recognizable as to who you were, ala benkath1 --&gt; benkath. Don't hold your breath about this, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

no prob. just wanted to knock off the kath1 and go with just ben. never dreamed I'd have close to 1500 posts when I signed up here. The old Yahoo email account name isn't as poker savvy as bottomset, or JaxUp, or @bsoluteluck. No biggy though. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Redd
10-31-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
JaxUp

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet fancy moses, I never even realized that was poker related; don't I feel like a tool. Damned kids and their crazy kewld00d spelling.

jaxUp
10-31-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
JaxUp

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet fancy moses, I never even realized that was poker related; don't I feel like a tool. Damned kids and their crazy kewld00d spelling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel so cool now. I've often wondered if people got this.

benkath1
10-31-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
JaxUp

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably never knew the benkath was a flopped full house from the BB with 72o. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MrWookie47
10-31-2005, 02:07 AM
I wouldn't get your hopes up about getting just "ben." There are no doubt a lot of Ben's on this board, and some of those have names that are a lot closer to "Ben" than "benkath1" that they might want trimmed if this came to be. Not to mention that your name should still be distinctive.

jaxUp
10-31-2005, 02:10 AM
If we are searching for one of your many glorious posts, should we use MrWookie47 or MrWookie?

trainslayer
10-31-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
JaxUp

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably never knew the benkath was a flopped full house from the BB with 72o. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit. as if the grannie mae wasn't bad enuf. now i can never fold 72o from the BB.

MrWookie47
10-31-2005, 02:19 AM
That's a very good question. I went and ran some tests. If you're searching for something recent, you search for MrWookie. If you're searching on the Archive server, you need to use MrWookie47. Searching for MrWookie will not yield posts my MrWookie47 in that case. Further evidence that the search feature sucks and that you should consider using google.

Edit: I guess google isn't smart enough to realize that a search of archiveserver.twoplustwo.com for MrWookie isn't a search for MrWookie47 either.

aK13
10-31-2005, 05:52 AM
Wookie:

More forum stuff that I hope you can get fixing.

Before, if you typed something in this box, then clicked back to look at what you were replying to, then clicked forward, your text would stay in the box. But it doesn't do that anymore.

I think this feature is CRUCIAL, especially since you can't reply on the same page as the hand is -- when I'm reviewing hands by street, I need to look at the hand multiple times while I'm replying.

BatsShadow
10-31-2005, 08:06 AM
WTF! Why does it go to the newest unread post when I click a thread? That makes no sense.

Buccaneer
10-31-2005, 09:01 AM
Why not but a google search thingie right here on the site?

Paxosmotic
10-31-2005, 09:05 AM
All these retarded changes in formatting and they can't do a simple thing like split HUSH? We have 5 forums for hold'em and only one forum for the most popular form of poker in the world right now, 6-max. Yeah, let's fix the content before we fix the profanity filter.

DavidC
10-31-2005, 09:28 AM
Wait a minute... you turned the swearing filter off, but are banning people for swearing?

Could someone PLEASE explain to me what the purpose was of turning it off, then??

Also, we should start a designated micro-pm's thread, for people who have gone over their PM filter. Just don't put anythign in there about GregJ's wife and you should be fine. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DavidC
10-31-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Enjoy? This is right up there with the Tain network launch for 'ugliest poker-related roll-out of the week'.

-K

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the change-up at party had JUST SLIGHTLY more of an effect than this on my poker-state-of-mind. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Everyone that's upset at any of these changes, please PM Mat Sklansky with your comments. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm serious, btw.

lautzutao
10-31-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All these retarded changes in formatting and they can't do a simple thing like split HUSH? We have 5 forums for hold'em and only one forum for the most popular form of poker in the world right now, 6-max. Yeah, let's fix the content before we fix the profanity filter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. Please get 6-max split so I can post hands there and not feel like a spaz posting 1/2...

MrWookie47
10-31-2005, 10:55 AM
The profanity filter is now back on and in includes a few more variants of the word that rhymes with duck so as to be a little bit more effective (motherducker wasn't on the list. Whoda thunkit?). I mostly just threatening so people didn't go nuts when they found out. Quite honestly, I had lost my ability to ban people when I made that announcement. My powers have since returned, however. The limit on the number of PMs is 200.

deception5
10-31-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's some talk about that in the mod forum, but it's far from a top priority right now w/ all the other stuff going on that needs fixing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick update on the split:

[ QUOTE ]
What's the scoop? Is a forum split a sure thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Mat it's coming down the line, and it'll be added this week. We'll see how long it takes, but I'll keep on harrassing him until we get it.

Both Schneids and Sthief have been talked about as candidates for moderators for MHHUSH in the mod forum.

Surf

MrWookie47
10-31-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm with Entity, though. The names of the new forums should be MUSH and LUSH. Maybe MUSH and SHUSH. MHHUSH doesn't have the same ring.

Edit: Wait a minute.

[ QUOTE ]
Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys live together?

lautzutao
10-31-2005, 01:21 PM
sorry if this has been stated already, but the Hand Converters no longer work with the new color format on this site. Any reason the format was changed from "=" to ":"?

deception5
10-31-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Wait a minute.

[ QUOTE ]
Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys live together?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, saw his post in hush.

MrWookie47
10-31-2005, 01:25 PM
Ah, so it was a cut and paste w/ the sig. OK.

Also, I have an update on name changing. You can go into your profile and change your name. This will have to be personally approved by Mat before the changes go into effect. However, you can at least take a stab at getting a name change right now.

10-31-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wookie:

More forum stuff that I hope you can get fixing.

Before, if you typed something in this box, then clicked back to look at what you were replying to, then clicked forward, your text would stay in the box. But it doesn't do that anymore.

I think this feature is CRUCIAL, especially since you can't reply on the same page as the hand is -- when I'm reviewing hands by street, I need to look at the hand multiple times while I'm replying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that this addresses the forum problem per se, but if you're using Firefox/Moz I find this handy for replying to posts: Open your reply in a new tab (ctrl-click or middle button) and easily go back and forth between each tab, the message &amp; your post edit. Another thing I do is leave the forum thread list in the first tab and open several threads in new tabs.

Paxosmotic
10-31-2005, 02:22 PM
I'll also publicly come forward and say that SS should be disbanded. There should be a high and low NL forum, a high and low limit forum, and a high and low SH forum. That's it. Half of the posts from SS belong here but they don't because they think they're gods who have advanced beyond micros, and the other half of posts from SS belong in ML but they don't because they're the king of their little kiddie pool and don't want to venture to a place where they might be proven wrong.

MrWookie47
10-31-2005, 02:35 PM
I disagree. I don't want the garbage from SS coming to pollute our forum /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Nfinity
10-31-2005, 02:38 PM
[quote/]...and the other half of posts from SS belong in ML but they don't because they're the king of their little kiddie pool and don't want to venture to a place where they might be proven wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

:looks in MrWookie's general direction:

J/K.

MrWookie47
10-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey man. I've posted replies in HUSH, but my 2/4 6 max posts don't have a home. HUSH doesn't want to hear about anything less than 100/200, and SS doesn't want to hear about anything with less than 12 players.

It's mostly a fair criticism, though. I should post more replies in HUSH.

Nfinity
10-31-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey man. I've posted replies in HUSH, but my 2/4 6 max posts don't have a home. HUSH doesn't want to hear about anything less than 100/200, and SS doesn't want to hear about anything with less than 12 players.

It's mostly a fair criticism, though. I should post more replies in HUSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you dare go anywhere.

MrWookie47
10-31-2005, 02:49 PM
From Mat on name changes.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All you need to do is just go into "my home" and make the change. Then a mod has to approve it. They either do or they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is corect. You don't need to pm me unless your request is denied and you disagree. Name changes that I believe keep the original user recognizeable are approved instantly (When I see them)

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently sfer got changed into "The Daver." Not only are the changes more liberal than we were led to believe, apparently there is very little in the way of a quality control mechanism.

stickman
10-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Automatically directed to a reply before you read original post.

car ramrod
10-31-2005, 05:43 PM
are these name changes permanent? I can't see this going on for very long.

MrWookie47
10-31-2005, 05:47 PM
Yes, they're permanent, at least until you ask Mat for yet another change.

VoraciousReader
10-31-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, they're permanent, at least until you ask Mat for yet another change.

[/ QUOTE ]

You and Gregatron are pretty self-evident, but in some of the other forums, they really need a TPFKA... line.