PDA

View Full Version : FILM REVIEW: The Hidden

diebitter
10-30-2005, 11:31 AM
"The Hidden" is an exciting, interesting and highly-watchable sci-fi adventure from the eighties. Lots of crap sci-fi was made then, and somehow, this little beauty got buried beneath all the dross.

The plot is simple, a bad alien can inhabit humans, seems to get a kick out of the pleasures they feel, and can pass from organic life-form to life-form. Two cops get on the case, but as the pursuit goes on, it becomes clear one of them is also an alien, intent on capturing and destroying the bad'un for his own personal reasons.

This plot recap doesn't do it justice. It's nicely acted, well-paced, and there's an unbelievable car chase at the start that pretty much as good a car chase as you'll have ever seen. An it's with a Ferarri!

It's creepy, there's some gross-out stuff where the alien transfers bodies ('eeewwww! look at the slimy bits' type of gross, and some excess blood-letting), and its funny and engaging too. Kyle Machlachlan is one of the leads, and there's a little 'Agent Cooper' vibe going on that is quite nice. The ending is also satisfying and works well.

And there's also a woman in it for a little stretch - a stripper - who is about the finest woman I've ever seen on film (but I like that eighties 'power dress/big hair' deal)...

If you're not convinced, I have, with Blarg's permission, replicated his words about this film from an old thread:
-------------------------------------
That was one of the most fun films ever. And yeah, the stripper almost killed me. She still stands out as one of the most mind-blowingly sexy women I've ever seen in movies.

The action was outrageous, and the acting was even really good and interesting, often funny, sometimes touching. Kyle McLachlan's acting choices were just really interesting to watch throughout. I remember him saying that he was trying to play the role as if he were wearing a mask and trying to figure out how to animate it. His alient just wasnt familiar with humans and didn't really know how to do what he needed to do, to come off right. It was great; everything he did became interesting.

And yeah, that car chase sure started things off with a bang.

And I loved when the possessed guy goes, "I want that car," and you know what's coming has to be bad. REALLY bad. The whole scene of him taking it was hilarious.

The commentary is good too. Amazing that Michael Nouri never went anywhere; he was so good in this and in Fright Night. The director comments that he had everything he needed and was talented and on his way, but his obnoxious personality guaranteed that nobody in Hollywood would ever want to work with him again.
----------------------------------

Now stop pissing about, and put this on top of your 'to buy/rent' list right now

Rating 3.5/5
Overall: I'm ashamed to say I've owned this for 2 years and only watched it twice, and it deserves so much more /images/graemlins/frown.gif

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Opinions/comments/arguments please, especially if you think I missed anything worth of discussion/expansion, or violently agree or disagree.

PM me any films you'd like reviewed

diebitter
10-30-2005, 04:18 PM
bump, cos this got buried in the upgrade gibber-gabber, and this film needs to be seen by more people than me and Blarg.

pryor15
10-30-2005, 04:20 PM
i haven't seen this. who directed it?

diebitter
10-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Jack Sholder, who didn't direct anything else of note, I don't think. He did a darn fine job here though.

He did direct Nightmare on Elm Street 2 just before this though, which had a very weird gay/Freddie subtext...

Blarg
10-30-2005, 04:34 PM
I loved this one, and definitely put it an easy 4. Even more if you're a fan of sci-fi or horror, especially if you're like me and wish you could see more that actually had good actors and interesting characters in it -- all too rare in the genre. The acting is really interesting here, and there's plenty of action, too, as the alien in the movie is all about using human bodies to have as much crazed destructive fun as physically possible at any cost, including possibly the almost immediate death of the body he inhabits by way of catastrophic abuse. Watching him discover the joys of booze, drugs, crazed driving of Ferraris, and sex is hilarious. This alien has contempt for our species, but he does think we're a hell of a lot of fun.