PDA

View Full Version : Dealers most liked and generosity report

juanez
10-30-2005, 10:09 AM
OK, we've all seen the "most hated" thread. Who's the dealers "most liked and generous" of the top pros? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

bigfishead
10-30-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, we've all seen the "most hated" thread. Who's the dealers "most liked and generous" of the top pros? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In no specific order.

Daniel Negraneu(sp?): NEVER EVER I have seen him give any dealer a hard time. He's always been respectful to me. He will almost always throw a buck or 2 when he wins a pot. No matter how stuck he is or how small the pot.

Barry Greenstein: Only once had I seen him get a little outwardly irritated. And it wasnt even a good display of such. Nor was it directed towards me as a dealer. He doesnt toke very often in live games. But he isnt a total stiff. And when he does, it's usually a redbird.

Gus Hansen: Again, never been given a hard time by him. Nor heard any other dealers being given a hard time. In fact he tries to be helpful. Such as pushing other players mucked hands within easier reach, Helping push players chips closer to the pot. (naturally very openhanded clearly not palming) etc. Almost always hands me $5-10 when I leave. No matter how much he may have lost that 1/2 hour.

David Benjamien(sp?): Frenchman that plays the big game. He's only got in my shizzle one time. And he totally misunderstood what had happened as he was distracted. He totally apologized. Tokes $1-5 about 60% of his pots he wins. Somtimes hands me an extra redbird when I leave.

Amir Vahedi: For some dealers he probably should'nt be on this list for "generosity". But for me, he's always decent, we always say hello, to each others with a pat on the back and such. Never gives me a hard time in the box.

David "Devilfish" Ulliot: Whenever he sees me sit in a PLO game we say hi and he gives me a wink. As soon as he gets involved in a hand, on the flop he will ALWAYS ask me "dealer, whats the pot" I tell him then he says "count it down". I've always been right on the money and he gives me that "wink" again. Often throws me a redbird by then.

Phil Ivey: Generally doesnt give dealers a hard time. But I recently commented (with another dealer) he is very slowly turning. I doubt he'll become a jerk. It just seems like a slight change after being around so many a-holes for a while now. Hopefully he'll see it and not "turn". As for generosity, he's ok. Used to be consistent but nowadays spends so much time talking in the game and watching out for "props", that he often gives dealers an airball. Like he is distracted. If he remembers he's a "redbird".

For many dealers it isnt just about how much they toke. It's not being a jerk. Not distracting dealers causing further problems or errors. Not winging cards at them. Calling them "Fuucking dealer" when a bad river card hits. Etc. Now dont get me wrong, we dont want an airball for that 1/2 hr. But we'd rather get air than a hard time. I think mostly because many of us would rather jump right back in thier shizzle when they do and humiliate them. However, that would only costs us our jobs, and we know it. So we'd rather them just stfu and give us air. Than to give us a hard time and air or even a hard time an $5.

stickman
10-30-2005, 04:16 PM
So the moral of the story is be quiet and nice to a dealer and you do not have to tip???? Interesting.

Olof
10-30-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So the moral of the story is be quiet and nice to a dealer and you do not have to tip???? Interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading comprehension at its finest.

Quicksilvre
10-30-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The moral is be quiet, nice, and leave reasonable tips.

Noo Yawk
10-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi Fishhead, You sound like a great dealer, and one I think every player would love to have in the box. However, just like their are knuckleheads playing, their are knuckleheads dealing. Here are some of the things that dealers can do to ensure maximum earnings:

1) Pay attention. Mistakes happen, but dealers that can't follow the action because their watching TV or involved in conversation make way too many mistakes.

2) Regard the players as your boss. In effect, they are your boss as they are responsible for probably 75% of your paycheck. (i'm purely guessing at that percent, but you get the idea.)

3) Regular players will tip you more in the long run than the live ones that play for fun once a month. As a matter of fact, in the short run, we hope to make our immediate big bucks from the same players as you.

4)Be grateful of any amount you get tipped. Some old timers tip a quarter because they think it's a fair amount. I cringe when a dealer tells a well meaning old man to keep his quarter. It's like telling your dear old granny to stick her $5 birthday check to you up her pooper. Just wrong on so many levels.

4) Different players have diiferent quirks and personalities. Nice or not, stiffs or tippers, this should not affect how a game is dealt even one iota. You can't control how you feel, but you can control how you act.

5) Just be nice, get the cards out, be quick but accurate, be grateful, and above all, act like a professional.

These are just some thoughts, but I think dealers need to understand that there is a basic quality of service that comes with the expectation of a tip.

bigfishead
10-30-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, just like their are knuckleheads playing, their are knuckleheads dealing.

Knuckleheads..boy aint that the truth. Seen plenty of them in the business and it's one of the reasons so many of you have a poor or pooer view of dealers.

1) Pay attention. Mistakes happen

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to interject something right in the middle of your sentence. It's about How mistakes happen in this regard. I'm speaking from my experience when I make them and seeing other dealers make them as such too.

Dealer sits in the box, is getting first hand out, while at the same time eyeballing his rack to see that it correct or at least close to correct, useing his peripheral vision to keep track of action, and some dummy who has mucked says "I want the 2 or 8 seat if the open. And give that guy that aint here a "no player button". Oh and he mucked 3 players out of turn. AND HE"S A REGULAR!...

Yes many times mistakes are caused by stupid distractions by players not even involved. The one I love/hate the most is during the hand a player wants you to square up the table. And the sob wants it square now! I have beguna telling them very plainly and sternly if I need to, "After the hand" Usually because 1, 2, or more of those needing to move are in fact involved with the hand in play. Out of respect THEY dont need the distractions either.

So not just from some dummy watching MNF do mistakes happen, but also as a result of players not giving respect to the table and distracting these dealers during action with stupid or non-imperitive requests or nonsense.

Sometimes players need to just stfu too and let the dealer do his/her job. Ask'em during the shuffle next hand. I'm sure they'll be happy to oblige.

Noo Yawk
10-30-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm not talking about mistakes caused by players distracting the dealers. I'm talking about dealers not paying attention because they get involved in conversation, watch TV, look at their watch, etc.

Do dealers that consistantly make errors due to a poor work ethic deserve to be tipped the same as their better performing counter parts?

bigfishead
10-30-2005, 09:17 PM
I know what you were talking about. I was just bringing up something that I have never heard or seen acknowledged here or live in my years in the business.

I think maybe you took it the wrong way. I did mention "knuckleheads" too afterall.

Noo Yawk
10-30-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know what you were talking about. I was just bringing up something that I have never heard or seen acknowledged here or live in my years in the business.

I think maybe you took it the wrong way. I did mention "knuckleheads" too afterall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't take it wrong. Your no doubt in the top percentile of dealers with professionalism. I just think it's important for dealers to understand that there is a level of service that's expected. Keep up the good work!

Sponger15SB
10-30-2005, 09:31 PM
I think its kinda silly that you're marking some of these players off for one time they got mad at your or something. I mean, even the nicest players are bound to get upset sometimes at even the best dealers.

Randy_Refeld
10-30-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do dealers that consistantly make errors due to a poor work ethic deserve to be tipped the same as their better performing counter parts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not, this is where palyers can make a difference. In general palyers tip based on winning pots not on the service they receive. I have seen very few players tip on service. I have seen palyers use poor service as a reason to not tip, but good service is rarely rewarded.

Noo Yawk
10-30-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not, this is where palyers can make a difference. In general palyers tip based on winning pots not on the service they receive. I have seen very few players tip on service. I have seen palyers use poor service as a reason to not tip, but good service is rarely rewarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tips and there size should be based on service alone. The size of the stakes, or the size of the pot compared to the stakes should have no bearing on the tip size whatsoever.
The mechanics and service involved in pushing a $10 pot or a $10,000,000 pot are the same. The stake size is only relevent to the players that put up their own hard earned money.

While I agree that many players use bad service as a reason not to tip, I've seen many dealers use pot size as a reason to be ungrateful. Throwing a tip back at someone or coming onto a public board and outing a high limit, high profile, player as a cheapskate, is in my opinion, highly inappropriate and unprofessional. I'm NOT talking about Bigfishead, for the record. I think his stories were just amusing responses to a question.

Randy_Refeld
10-30-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While I agree that many players use bad service as a reason not to tip, I've seen many dealers use pot size as a reason to be ungrateful. Throwing a tip back at someone or coming onto a public board and outing a high limit, high profile, player as a cheapskate, is in my opinion, highly inappropriate and unprofessional. I'm NOT talking about Bigfishead, for the record. I think his stories were just amusing responses to a question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have mixed feelings about this (telling which players don't tip). Dealers should generally keep the size of their tokes to themselves; however, I know that around 2000 a newspaper reporter watched the big game at Bellagio and outed the stiffs in the newspaper. After this column ran in the paper the players in that game decided that as a group they shoudl take care of the dealer.

jkinetic
10-31-2005, 01:44 AM
The other day, I was playing in the 20/40 NL game at Commerce.

Some guy bet $500 on the flop, another guy raised him $2500, they were heads up.

The guy who bet first counts his chips, he has like $5000 left, and then starts to stack them.

He then aggressively shoves them into the middle of the table, with enough force that they begin to topple over into the pot.

Amazingly the dealer, with the stub still in his hand, quickly grabs the chips that were beginning to topple into the pot and shoves the guys stack away so as to separate the main pot from his reraise bet without a single chip being displaced into the main pot.

I immediately threw him a few dollars and I wasn't even involved in the pot, he totally deserved it.

riverboatking
10-31-2005, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The other day, I was playing in the 20/40 NL game at Commerce.

Some guy bet $500 on the flop, another guy raised him $2500, they were heads up.

The guy who bet first counts his chips, he has like $5000 left, and then starts to stack them.

He then aggressively shoves them into the middle of the table, with enough force that they begin to topple over into the pot.

Amazingly the dealer, with the stub still in his hand, quickly grabs the chips that were beginning to topple into the pot and shoves the guys stack away so as to separate the main pot from his reraise bet without a single chip being displaced into the main pot.

I immediately threw him a few dollars and I wasn't even involved in the pot, he totally deserved it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i saw that...and even though it was technically my money /images/graemlins/grin.gif
it was a cool thing to do cuz it was pretty impressive.

if i hadn't been stuck a BMW 5 series in the game i woulda done it myself.

augie00
10-31-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At turning stone, some kid knocked a gigantic stack of red into another player's chips as he was pulling in a pot. the dealer froze everything, made the pot right, and gave the kid back his money. i tipped her $5. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

edit: just in case you don't understand the point of this post, it's to point out that i am a dealer's best friend. i love dealers. dealers make the world go round.