PDA

View Full Version : Scarface is hugely overrated

10-30-2005, 06:43 AM
I finally saw Scarface for the first time just a few months ago after several friends urged me that it was one of the best movies ever made. So I sat down and watched it. I have to say that it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The movie is just mindless violence and drug use. The only appeal that I saw to the movie was Pachino's performance, but other than that the movie was a waste of my time. For those of you who haven't seen the movie, please don't waste your time. Watch Godfather 1 and 2 instead.

gulebjorn
10-30-2005, 06:45 AM
No.

10-30-2005, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respect your disagreement but you gotta say something more than just no.

gulebjorn
10-30-2005, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

diebitter
10-30-2005, 06:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahahahaha!

10-30-2005, 07:00 AM
It was a remake. Not at all like the first one. Still a kick ass guy's movie but not really much else. If someone else played Tony Montana it could of stunk. Carlitto's Way is much better and sadly underrated.

Colonel Kataffy
10-30-2005, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For those of you who haven't seen the movie, please don't waste your time. Watch Godfather 1 and 2 instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I finally had an apple the other day. It sucked. Please don't waste your time. Go eat an orange instead.

10-30-2005, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahahahaha!

[/ QUOTE ]

More and more I believe that respect in OOT is gained from number posts and not from thoughtful comments.

gulebjorn
10-30-2005, 07:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahahahaha!

[/ QUOTE ]

More and more I believe that respect in OOT is gained from thoughtful posts , and not from number of comments .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

10-30-2005, 07:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahahahaha!

[/ QUOTE ]

More and more I believe that respect in OOT is gained from thoughtful posts , and not from number of comments .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche

Maybe I'm just an idiot who doesn't like Scarface. I can accept that. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

diebitter
10-30-2005, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahahahaha!

[/ QUOTE ]

More and more I believe that respect in OOT is gained from number posts and not from thoughtful comments.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't really deserve much thought if you think watching Scarface is a waste of the time it takes, but I did weaken, and thought long and hard about how to express clearly what I consider is the best response to your original post, and I did deliberately pick 6 "ha's" rather than 5 or 7. I felt it demonstrated the correct balance of scorn, derision and amusement I felt when I read your original post.

Hope that clears up this matter.

10-30-2005, 07:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahahahaha!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't really deserve much thought if you think watching Scarface is a waste of the time it takes, but I did weaken, and thought long and hard about how to express clearly what I consider is the best response to your original post, and I did deliberately pick 6 "ha's" rather than 5 or 7. I felt it demonstrated the correct balance of scorn, derision, amusement I felt when I read your original post.

Hope that clears up this matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I applaud your attempt at humor.

diebitter
10-30-2005, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you win there in the funny stakes. Your original post was a gutbuster. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

10-30-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you win there in the funny stakes. Your original post was a gutbuster. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright alright. Lets not fight.

diebitter
10-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Sure. Hell, let's go bowling /images/graemlins/wink.gif

10-30-2005, 07:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure. Hell, let's go bowling /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hells ya.

Speaking of....

Big Lebowski. Now that's a great movie.

10-30-2005, 09:41 AM
Watch City of God.

MonkeeMan
10-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Lots of video game violence and an awesome chainsaw scene. Ratings are based on sex, drugs, violence, so how could this be overrated?

10-30-2005, 01:37 PM
big mistake. scarface has great acting, directing, and a compelling story...maybe just personal taste makes it bad for u but i definitely disagree.

istewart
10-30-2005, 01:40 PM
It's not a terrible movie but yes it is hugely overrated. All of the acting sucks and you sit there for 190 minutes or whatever just so you can see the 5 or 6 well-known scenes.

DMBFan23
10-30-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I finally saw Scarface for the first time just a few months ago after several friends urged me that it was one of the best movies ever made. So I sat down and watched it. I have to say that it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The movie is just mindless violence and drug use.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugg...disagree

[ QUOTE ]
The only appeal that I saw to the movie was Pachino's performance, but other than that the movie was a waste of my time.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're on the right track with the whole Pacino thing, cause he's the man.

[ QUOTE ]
For those of you who haven't seen the movie, please don't waste your time. Watch Godfather 1 and 2 instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

well you liked these, so that is a start.

Los Feliz Slim
10-30-2005, 02:24 PM
I've always thought you need to take Scarface with an enormous grain of salt. Part of what makes it so awesome is how completely over-the-top Pacino's antics (and everything else in the movie) are. You're not supposed to take it seriously, are you?

Sponger15SB
10-30-2005, 02:33 PM
I just think its funny how all these rappers think scarface is awesome and they just worship him completely missing the fact that scarface is a piece of shit who ruins his life and the lives of everyone around him.

Brain
10-30-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just think its funny how all these rappers think scarface is awesome and they just worship him completely missing the fact that scarface is a piece of shit who ruins his life and the lives of everyone around him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like listening to rap for the high quality lyrics. I just watch the movie and listen to the music and get out of it what I enjoy. No stressful thinking needed for either.

MCS
10-30-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is like listening to rap for the high quality lyrics. I just watch the movie and listen to the music and get out of it what I enjoy. No stressful thinking needed for either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I value lyrics.

Also when I first saw this thread I thought it was gonna be about the rapper and I got all annoyed.

kyro
10-30-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahahahaha!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only "thoughtful" comment you made was that the movie was solely about violence and drug use. You didn't even come CLOSE to giving a half-way decent review on the movie, so you should probably stop making inane statements like "newbies don't get respect here!"

And I've never even seen Scarface.

TheNoodleMan
10-30-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought you need to take Scarface with an enormous grain of salt. Part of what makes it so awesome is how completely over-the-top Pacino's antics (and everything else in the movie) are. You're not supposed to take it seriously, are you?

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that every rapper on cribs takes it absolutely seriously, which creates an entire subcultere of 13 year old boys who assume it must be great before the even see it.
If you really sit down and view it objectively it is bad movie. If you enjoy bad movies that are completely over the top, I recommend "The Towering Inferno." The scene where OJ Simpson rescues a cat and stikes a heisman pose while stiff arming the fire is quite possibly the greatest bad movie moment ever, IMO.

jcmack13
10-30-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just think its funny how all these rappers think scarface is awesome and they just worship him completely missing the fact that scarface is a piece of [censored] who ruins his life and the lives of everyone around him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has always surprised me, too. Hip-hop culture COMPLETELY misses the point of the movie, I think. To me, it seemed pretty obvious the movie is about Tony's desperate need for family (his maniacal devotion to Gina, his refusal to hurt the children in the car, his desire to be with Elvira to start his own family, etc.) and the hollowness of his ruthless business success. Hip-hop culture just looks at it and says, dude came from nothing to the top, and he's a badass. Also drugs.

Tony Montana has more in common with Greek tragedy than Tupac, IMO.

lighterjobs
10-30-2005, 04:10 PM
I hated scarface the first time I saw it, I'm guessing because it was so hyped up as being the greatest movie ever.

after I watched it for the first time I hated it and didn't watch it for a long time. when I watched it a few more times after that I loved it.

mmcd
10-30-2005, 04:31 PM
What,joo fuking kidding mang?

diebitter
10-30-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What,joo fuking kidding mang?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this made me laugh like drains. NH!

Blarg
10-30-2005, 05:04 PM
It's probably the most over-rated movie of the last 20 or 30 years. It was the beginning of Al Pacino's decline as an actor, when he first really started to get away from a quiet, concentrated, more realistic style and into a more overblown theatrical style. It was jarring first seeing Pacino trying on this big, cartoony style after his previous subtlety, but it's his schtick now, and he's into it.

The movie itself got plenty of bad reviews when it came out, some for the violence of the chainsaw scene, which was way past the sensibility of the times -- the world wasn't that inundated with the "killing for fun" way of movie making that slasher horror films have made passe by now. Back then, it was much more shocking.

Unfortunately, the movie was underdeveloped in the beginning and from then on absurdly overwritten -- the pretty unmotivated coke abuse, ridiculous and bathetic restaurant scene, fairly pointless killing of his best friend and weird incest problems with his sister, and finally the completely cartoonish ending where the movie finally gave up even the remotest pretense of plausibility. The movie had a story arc to cover, and plot points to hit, and it pushed its way through them with all the smoothness of a steak dinner through an impacted colon. Almost every scene feels false or as if it could have been much better written or realized.

Was it a good time? Well, not a bad one, if you have low expectations. Was it a good movie? No, but that doesn't mean you can't hae some fun with it. It is a rags to riches story, and has a tragic arc, so it at least has the structure of something big that people can relate to. Scarface is a smart idiot, or a flawed man, however you want to look at it, and people seem to like that a lot. It strikes a nerve with lots of people, probably people who are longing for a good urban rise and fall tragedy and had to settle for this one.

Blarg
10-30-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that every rapper on cribs takes it absolutely seriously, which creates an entire subcultere of 13 year old boys who assume it must be great before the even see it.
If you really sit down and view it objectively it is bad movie. If you enjoy bad movies that are completely over the top, I recommend "The Towering Inferno." The scene where OJ Simpson rescues a cat and stikes a heisman pose while stiff arming the fire is quite possibly the greatest bad movie moment ever, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I want to see The Towering Inferno again!

Agreed that this movie's popularity comes largely from its popularity, and especially its popularity with certain groups that are held in absurdly high esteem. Much like you can guarantee that some of your friends will like whatever is the most popular thing that comes out, just because it's the most popular thing that's out. It's a must for wigger street cred, and for all the others who actually believe that concepts like street cred aren't funny.