PDA

View Full Version : The Shining

Justin A
10-30-2005, 04:24 AM
Being that it's near Halloween and all, I watched Kubrick's The Shining again tonight. What do you guys make of the very last scene where they show the picture of the 1921 4th of July Ball where Jack is front and center?

Evan
10-30-2005, 04:28 AM
I think that whole movie is just trying a little too hard to be weird.

rudedog78
10-30-2005, 04:29 AM
SPOILERS

That Kubrick smoked too much drugs when he was young? Seriously tho, I really like The Shining, and Jack Nicholson is really good in the part. Up until the end I had no problems with the plot. But with the the framed picture at the end... I dunno what to think of it.

pryor15
10-30-2005, 04:48 AM
maybe he's just screwing with us?

NLSoldier
10-30-2005, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that whole movie is just trying a little too hard to be weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no idea what evan soaid but hes a d000d asss heds preoobag right

daryn
10-30-2005, 05:11 AM
listen,

i like this flic...

obviously he is a ghost

10-30-2005, 05:51 AM
It is to show the audience that Jack has always been the caretaker. Easily one of the best suspense/horror movies. Kubrick pretty much went against the grain and made a horror movie that didnt follow any of the standard rules. He even added [censored] to movie that wasn't in the book. But it made the movie better, unlike most directors that just screw up books. The picture wasn't in the book.

Brom
10-30-2005, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The picture wasn't in the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

No pictures? Why would you read it then?

10-30-2005, 06:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is to show the audience that Jack has always been the caretaker. Easily one of the best suspense/horror movies. Kubrick pretty much went against the grain and made a horror movie that didnt follow any of the standard rules. He even added [censored] to movie that wasn't in the book. But it made the movie better, unlike most directors that just screw up books. The picture wasn't in the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was always the caretaker? That doesn't make any sense. Who was driving the car toward the hotel at the start of the movie?

10-30-2005, 06:58 AM
The ending I am pretty sure was meant to be left open. You could see the picture as him being the caretaker along. Which can be supported by many clues in the movie. The butler tells him you have always been the caretaker.

You can hear his son's tricyle over the music when he drives up to the hotel.

bobbyi
10-30-2005, 07:05 AM
Kubrick is my favorite director and this is a very good movie taken of itself, but I still find it disappointing to watch because I think it misses a large part of the things that made that made the book so great.

(That's unrelated to your question which I can't answer because I haven't seen the movie for a long time. Good idea though, I will watch it sometime soon).

diebitter
10-30-2005, 07:13 AM
I take it to mean that he's been taken into the essence of the house, and integrated with it fully.

10-30-2005, 07:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I take it to mean that he's been taken into the essence of the house, and integrated with it fully.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is another popular explanation.

diebitter
10-30-2005, 07:21 AM
I don't actually think of the Shining as a horror film, more like an attempt to display artfulness through horror. I like it, but it does come across as a really great director trying to show he can pwn any genre he chooses, and getting the timings/tension/payoff right, without really understanding the true heart of a horror film.

I can't articulate it any better than this (and I know what I've said is lacking), but that's my gut feel on it.

Good movie though, despite reservations!

10-30-2005, 07:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that theory.

tdp
10-30-2005, 08:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He even added [censored] to movie that wasn't in the book. But it made the movie better, unlike most directors that just screw up books. The picture wasn't in the book.

[/ QUOTE ]
I read the book first and honestly the movie sucked.He completely missed the entire point of the story by turning it into a visual shlockfest.
BTW,i was 14 when the movie came out and I was a total horror junkie at the time.This movie bored me.