PDA

View Full Version : (NC) Phil Van Sexton - Immortalized ????

Scuba Chuck
10-30-2005, 01:20 AM
I'm certain the PVS was coined here, and coined in this forum.

Found this (http://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18272) which lists a few "SNG Moves." The first on the list is the PVS???

pooh74
10-30-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Found this (http://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18272) which lists a few "SNG Moves." The first on the list is the PVS???

[/ QUOTE ]

thats funny...i think i posted in the original thread where it was born...

Newt_Buggs
10-30-2005, 01:33 AM
that's really funny

10-30-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats funny...i think i posted in the original thread where it was born...

[/ QUOTE ]I've posted in this thread.

Big Limpin'
10-30-2005, 01:57 PM
Many moons ago, an intrepid young poker prospect was thinking outside the box. Looking for a deeper understanding of SnG situations. He eventually came to 2+2 in search of answers.

My very first 2+2 post~ (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=1378600)

Noting the date of the post (Dec 2004), and the lack of once mentioning "PVS", its fair to say that this term is recently coined. ChrisV has some poor alternate names /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

AA suited
10-30-2005, 04:12 PM
what happened to pvs? i havent seen his posts in a while?

10-31-2005, 01:33 AM
I've never really understood why the term "PVS" was needed--- I was lurking then, and remember when it was coined... but--- it isn't like the move is original or unique...

Before I even started playing SNGs exclusively, I read it in Sklanksy's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players... Part Two: Three Illustrative Plays.. raising a bunch of limpers from the BB with J5o in a NL tourney.

I mean--- I understand that on this forum, Phil Van Sexton talked about the play a lot... but calling it a PVS has never quite seemed right.

Scuba Chuck
10-31-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that's really funny

[/ QUOTE ]

This is even more funny, coming from you. /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Scuba Chuck
10-31-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what happened to pvs? i havent seen his posts in a while?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he has a little SNG ADD. I'm sure he'll be back within another 3-6 months.

pergesu
10-31-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never really understood why the term "PVS" was needed--- I was lurking then, and remember when it was coined... but--- it isn't like the move is original or unique...

Before I even started playing SNGs exclusively, I read it in Sklanksy's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players... Part Two: Three Illustrative Plays.. raising a bunch of limpers from the BB with J5o in a NL tourney.

I mean--- I understand that on this forum, Phil Van Sexton talked about the play a lot... but calling it a PVS has never quite seemed right.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's easier than saying "That play where you raise a bunch of limpers with rags to add lots of chips to your stack."

Shitty analogy coming up, but somebody probably won a big pot with T2o before it ever became known as the Brunson /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

pooh74
10-31-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
somebody probably won a big pot with T2o before it ever became known as the Brunson /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

oh snap!

10-31-2005, 02:24 AM
I believe that the fact that Doyle won two WSOP championships with T2o, two years in a row, is a decent enough reason to associate the hand with him.

It's just that here, in this 2+2 forum where many of us have read Sklansky's tournament book, I think that it's strange to refer to the move by the name of a poster (one who most likely was introduced to it by Sklansky also).

I mean, the "PVS" name has stuck--- obviously, considering that it's even migrated to different poker forums... It's just very odd.

pergesu
10-31-2005, 02:29 AM
I said it was a shitty analogy /images/graemlins/confused.gif

My point is that it's just easier to give some stuff liks this a name. Then you cany say something like "I just PVSed and doubled up" and the other person knows what you're talking about.

It's arbitrary though. I don't think it's a great thing that it got that name, but I don't think it's bad either. I mean whatever, it really doesn't matter..maybe if it makes people feel better they can interpret the initials differently. Perceived Value Steal?

I dunno whatever. I'm just bummed I guess cause I can't post. Every single thread has Simplistic coming in and saying "It seems like the STT way of thinking is..." Doesn't matter how wrong he is, the thread will go on for three pages.

bleh