PDA

View Full Version : Limit SNGs

Swax
10-30-2005, 12:29 AM
Anyone know if there's been a basic strategy guide for LIMIT SNG's posted on here before? Searched and didn't see anything. I think I play too tight in them b/c I'm playing similarly to ring games...I'm guessing the strategy would be to GAMBOOL with anything reasonable early.

splashpot
10-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Early, I would play exactly the same as in a ring game. Late, it becomes more and more like a NL sng.

sledghammer
10-30-2005, 12:37 AM
You might take his advice with a grain of salt.
Russ Georgievs here (http://www.pokermafia.com/index.php?action=read_free_art&l1=&category_id=9&i d=29)

EDIT: dont pay attention to his 'action flop theory of online poker,' otherwise you might think he's a crackpot

Swax
10-30-2005, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You might take his advice with a grain of salt.
Russ Georgievs here (http://www.pokermafia.com/index.php?action=read_free_art&l1=&category_id=9&i d=29)

EDIT: dont pay attention to his 'action flop theory of online poker,' otherwise you might think he's a crackpot

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a bunch for the link man. It appears that I was a little off here - I was certainly limping small pockets in EP for set possibilities. But I can see where he's coming from.

Little Lew
10-30-2005, 09:44 AM
I read the Russ Georgiev link and was uncertain how much faith to put in his advice because of his modesty and uncertainty.

DrPhysic
10-30-2005, 10:07 AM
I briefly read Russ Georgievs article.

Would somebody care to educate me as to the reason(s) there should be a difference between the strategy in LHE SNG vs NLHE SNG?

It seems to me that the fundamental strategy of ubertight early, loosening as blinds increase and # of players decrease, and stealing from CO or Button being always of value but more so in higher levels, would apply just as well to both.

My point being that while you have to know how to play LHE, NLHE, 7card, etc, there is a difference in strategy between ring and tournament. If you know how to play tournament, I would think the basic logic should apply pretty much the same to any of the games.

Doc /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Swax
11-01-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I briefly read Russ Georgievs article.

Would somebody care to educate me as to the reason(s) there should be a difference between the strategy in LHE SNG vs NLHE SNG?

It seems to me that the fundamental strategy of ubertight early, loosening as blinds increase and # of players decrease, and stealing from CO or Button being always of value but more so in higher levels, would apply just as well to both.

My point being that while you have to know how to play LHE, NLHE, 7card, etc, there is a difference in strategy between ring and tournament. If you know how to play tournament, I would think the basic logic should apply pretty much the same to any of the games.

Doc /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True - I guess my line of thinking came from the fact that since in the early rounds a hand with a preflop raiser can cost such a small percentage of your stack that it might be worthwhile to see a flop with anything even remotely speculative from the button, CO or blinds with the intent of playing a flopped set or strong draw aggressively or just chucking it postflop, whereas in an NL SNG I'll pretty much toss anything but the best if someone raises in EP.

DrPhysic
11-01-2005, 06:42 PM
I agree with your statement, but I think it applies exactly the same to a ring game with deep stacks as it would early in a tournament with deep stacks. LHE ring or early in a tournament with deep stacks is a game that likes small pairs, small suited connectors, etc, and for the same reasons you indicate, NLHE is not, even in the deep stack situation. This is a difference between LHE and NLHE strategy, not a tournament strategy difference.

Later in the tournament as the stacks are shorter and # of players is smaller both have to be played looser and more aggressively. A difference of tournament strategy, not a difference of strategy between games.

Doc