PDA

View Full Version : Steak in an oven

xorbie
10-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Ok, so I have some round eye steak that I picked up because it was cheap. I've never made steak before, and all I have is an oven and a frying pan so I'm sticking with the former. I have Worcestershire sauce. I also have some other things I'm thinking of adding (tabasco or some other type of hot sauce). What's the game plan here?

RunDownHouse
10-29-2005, 11:09 PM
If your frying pan isn't el cheapo, get your pan very hot and sear the steak. Finish it off by broiling in the oven.

edfurlong
10-29-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your frying pan isn't el cheapo, get your pan very hot and sear the steak. Finish it off by broiling in the oven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. All you need is salt and pepper before cooking. Add whatever you like after.

xorbie
10-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Little bit of olive oil in the pan good?

rudedog78
10-29-2005, 11:38 PM
A bit of butter over Olive Oil imo.

gl

IggyWH
10-29-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some small amount of greaser is probably best since you don't want sticking. I'd probably rather use a margerine or butter though.

edfurlong
10-30-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some small amount of greaser is probably best since you don't want sticking. I'd probably rather use a margerine or butter though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck. This has no place in any kitchen ever.

Blarg
10-30-2005, 12:40 AM
If you're just searing it, you want the carmelization on the outside of the steak. So if you use any oil at all, just put some on a paper towel and rub the pan with it. The steak won't be in the pan long enough to burn if you get the heat high enough.

Quicksilvre
10-30-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're just searing it, you want the carmelization on the outside of the steak. So if you use any oil at all, just put some on a paper towel and rub the pan with it. The steak won't be in the pan long enough to burn if you get the heat high enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, just a little bit hits the spot.

Does your oven have a broiler? That would be much better....

xorbie
10-30-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, just a little bit hits the spot.

Does your oven have a broiler? That would be much better....

[/ QUOTE ]

I can turn the knob to broil, yes.

KyleC
10-30-2005, 01:08 AM
If you want to use the oven use a rack not sure if you have one...get a half pan and add some water then cover the half pan with foil...water is to keep your steak moist and foil is so you dont burn your steak decent way to cook if you dont have a grill
top line is foil
dotted line is rack
bottom line is bottom of half pan with water little diagram to help /images/graemlins/laugh.gif