PDA

View Full Version : Noobs, stop posting vague questions

splashpot
10-29-2005, 09:45 PM
And I'm not trying to be mean. I'm trying to help. There have been a lot of posts recently that follow this mold: Noob asks vague question that is damn near impossible to answer. Veteran A-hole can't believe what he's reading and makes some sarcastic remark. Noob gets pissed that he's not being taken seriuosly. Regulars rag on noob for getting worked up. Noob curses out STTF and determines that this forum is the largest gathering of condecending A-holes on the internet. Not a productive line for anyone.

So seriously, the vague questions have got to stop. They're not thought provoking, not interesting to read, most of the time unanswereable, and generally unhelpful.

Why do I have so many 4ths?
My heads up play sucks, give me some tips?
How do I play draws?
I have a 30% ROI, am I good enough to move up?
I get my blinds stolen too much, what do I do?

Are all bad questions. Really, how are we supposed to know why you have too many 4ths? Or why you can't win heads up for your life? How are we supposed to know these things without knowing anything about the way you play? It's impossible.

People seem to think that there is a magic 10 word phrase of advice that will instantly fix their leaks. News: there is no such magic advice.

What we can do is look at the way you play, and then tell you if we would have played the same way. If not, it sparks discussion, and meaningful analysis follows. This is the very best way to use this forum. In order to do this, we need to know how you play. SO POST HANDS. It's the only way for us to tell how you play.

Ok, let's see how many of you think I'm a hypocrite/jackass for writing this.

jojoman
10-29-2005, 09:59 PM
Amen.
If you don't know, don't say anything.
Watch, read and above all listen.

Lori
10-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Just to add that over a period when noobs transform into regulars, the old regulars get a feel for where that noob was and where they are now.

Any advice to a first time poster is going to be generic at best, but when the person has been around for a while, the replies can get more specific.

I have often changed advice to someone, either in the forum, or via PM when I realised that something they are doing is a regular problem rather than an 'interesting' one-off play that seemed okay.

Lori

rbear
10-29-2005, 10:42 PM
How come I am a losing player? What can I do so I don't suck so much /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif jk bro

valenzuela
10-29-2005, 10:51 PM
AMEN, btw I will keep replying with sarcasm after somebody posts about how they have 293% ROI.

pooh74
10-29-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AMEN, btw I will keep replying with sarcasm after somebody posts about how they have 293% ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I deleted that...sorry

golfcchs
10-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Did you not like my draw post?

splashpot
10-29-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you not like my draw post?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you think I didn't like it? I said it's good to post hands. Your hand in particular was good in the sense that it sparked disagreement and further analysis. That's exactly what I'm recommending

MegaBet
10-29-2005, 11:59 PM
mean /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-30-2005, 12:35 AM
So you hate me splashpot? Is that what you're trying to say? I thought we had something special. Well I'm going to go look for some rope.

golfcchs
10-30-2005, 04:03 AM
Just thought this was supposed to be my post.

[ QUOTE ]
How do I play draws?

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I was mistaken though.

10-30-2005, 04:26 AM
Asking why one has too many 4ths is lame indeed.

But what if one has too many 6ths??! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

10-30-2005, 05:03 AM
you suck

Cactus Jack
10-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Congratulations on creating one of the funniest threads I've read in awhile. It won't work, because those who you're addressing won't get it, but those of us who do really appreciate the humor in some of the replies.

nh

Your initial post should be the first in the FAQ, but who reads FAQs before posting? (I just have this one question, so I'll just ask it without reading the 10 bajillion answers to why I shouldn't play A2o in EP in the first hand.)

CJ