PDA

View Full Version : How often do you change your razor blade?

JaBlue
10-29-2005, 08:33 PM
I have mach 3 turbo and just finally got around to getting new blades for it. they are freakin' expensive. How often do you change yours?

pokerdirty
10-29-2005, 08:36 PM
2-3 shaves, but i let my stubble grow longer than most people, so it dulls faster.

Sam's Club for the 20 pack cheap.

JaBlue
10-29-2005, 08:45 PM
2-3???? Are you serious!?

MrWookie47
10-29-2005, 08:46 PM
It's 3-4 shaves for me. Pretty much whenever it starts nicking my face. Dull blades are more inclined to cut you than sharp ones.

10-29-2005, 08:46 PM
I change mine when it starts to become uncomfortable to shave. I use the Turbo as well. I would say I change mine about once every week to week and a half.

xorbie
10-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Yeah basically when it starts not working.

Blarg
10-29-2005, 08:53 PM
I've got one of the triple blade ones too. My beard doesn't grow very fast at all, and I don't shave that often when it does. I think the number of edges means each one has less to cut and shaves are quicker, so the blades' effect overall doesn't go down as fast. The three-blade ones last a lot longer than those supercheap one blade bic's I got into using for a while. I just change them when it seems to start taking more sweeps over the skin to get a close shave, and that could be weeks.

d10
10-29-2005, 09:24 PM
I usually get like 20-30 uses in before I feel the need to change.

private joker
10-29-2005, 09:30 PM
I shave virtually every day and change my blades (use the Mach 3 Turbo as well) about once a month. They are way too expensive.

Weatherhead03
10-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Once a month..but I am really lazy and dont shave everyday or have to need to shave everyday.

phil_ivey_fan
10-29-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once a month..but I am really lazy and dont shave everyday or have to need to shave everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I'm in this boat, but I let it grow all week and shave for the weekends unless I've got an interview or something. Sometimes it hurts if I don't shower before and let the hot water soften the hair.

Utah
10-29-2005, 09:48 PM
I change my turbo every 2-3 shaves. However, I also shave my head each time with it. I think the packaging says to change when the green strip starts getting dull.

10-29-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually get like 20-30 uses in before I feel the need to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

i prefer dull razors

istewart
10-29-2005, 10:06 PM
I haven't changed since July. Maybe I should do something.

Yeti
10-29-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2-3???? Are you serious!?

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf, i agree with this.

every few months but i feel like i should do it more. a new blade is such a treat.

Leo99
10-29-2005, 10:34 PM
I change mine about every 3 months. My beard is fairly heavy but the blades seem to last me pretty good. I like the mach 3 turbo.

evil_twin
10-29-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I change mine about every 3 months. My beard is fairly heavy but the blades seem to last me pretty good. I like the mach 3 turbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good long time. It used to be 1-2 months maybe for me, I'm amazed at the 2-3 shave people, that must cost you a bunch. I'd leave it until it was pretty obvious the razor was seriously blunt. I shave pretty much daily, and have average to think stubble. The shaving in the shower thing takes the edge off the burn enough that a semi-blunt razor doesn't matter that much. Every now and again you get a blade that doesn't last so well and gets changed quicker.

However, I've lucked into the Gillete customer test program, where they send me a new blade every 2 weeks. I have to fill in a bunch of checkboxes for each days shave rating stuff like comfort/closeness/freedom from nicks etc. It's great, and saves me cash. I would never change a razor bi-weekly unless I was on this program.

Every now and again they send a pretty god-awful razor though, probably attempting to get it made with cheaper materials or something.

Sadly I have no idea how to get on the program other than knowing someone who is already on it. Apparently occasionally they send you a form to fill in of friends/family to join up to the program as people drop out. I've been on it for over a year and never got this though.

321Mike
10-29-2005, 11:02 PM
I have the M3 Power (the one that vibrates). The package says to change the blade when the orange strip turns white which is in about 3 shaves. That's nuts. I change it when I can feel it's not shaving smoothly anymore. That's usually 12-15 shaves.

On the original Mach 3 I ran out of cartridges and kept forgetting to buy more. I went over a month shaving every day with the same blade with no problem.

krimson
10-29-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I shave virtually every day and change my blades (use the Mach 3 Turbo as well) about once a month. They are way too expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same. It usually starts to hurt a bit by the end of the month though.

yellowjack
10-29-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't changed since July. Maybe I should do something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same. Before that, I hadn't changed for 6+ months. I shaved daily, but I was playing $0.50/$1.00, so..

1C5
10-29-2005, 11:20 PM
Are those expensive razors (Mach, etc) better than the 20 cent Bics? Much better?

I use the 20 cent ones and throw them out after every shave.

razor
10-29-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are those expensive razors (Mach, etc) better than the 20 cent Bics? Much better?

[/ QUOTE ]

try them and decide for yourself.

IMO, M3 Power and good quality shaving cream is the way to go. Others seem happy enough with their shave using crappy blades and crappy shaving cream.

flatline
10-29-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Much much better. And the blades last a long time; I can't even recall the last time I changed my Mach 3.

RacersEdge
10-29-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are much better. I used to knick myself all the time with those cheapos - now a might knick myself once every 2 months. Mach 3 and Edge gel is my formula.

yellowjack
10-30-2005, 12:07 AM
While we're on this topic, what does shaving w/o shaving gel (i.e. just hot water) do to your skin? I've heard it's not good, but forget the reasons.

Yako
10-30-2005, 12:28 AM
I only shave once a week or so nowadays, and I've never used shaving cream/gel in my life. I always shave in the shower and then I tidy things out using the mirror when I get out of the shower. I change blades maybe every 20 uses about. I have no idea how to describe my facial hair though /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyways, I've been shaving since I was 18, I'm 21 now, and I haven't noticed anything wrong with my face. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I don't think shaving cream makes much of a difference.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I use a Mach 3 Turbo.

razor
10-30-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think shaving cream makes much of a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe not for you. But I find a significant difference between cheap shaving cream and high-end cream. I can't imagine the mess shaving would do to my face if I used no cream.

The4Aces
10-30-2005, 01:43 AM
getting these http://www.greatrazors.com/ supposadly saves you money. they freeze the blades to -300 F before they sell them to oyu. I dont know what it does to the blade, but i guess it makes them last longer. i gave never used them because i am to lazy to buy them.

edge
10-30-2005, 02:09 AM
I go for like 3 months and then remember to change it. Asian genes I guess.

jakethebake
10-30-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2-3 shaves, but i let my stubble grow longer than most people, so it dulls faster.

Sam's Club for the 20 pack cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Has anyone else noticed that the better the new Gillette razor is, the fewer shaves it seems to be good for.?

RacersEdge
10-30-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I only shave once a week or so nowadays, and I've never used shaving cream/gel in my life. I always shave in the shower and then I tidy things out using the mirror when I get out of the shower. I change blades maybe every 20 uses about. I have no idea how to describe my facial hair though /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyways, I've been shaving since I was 18, I'm 21 now, and I haven't noticed anything wrong with my face. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I don't think shaving cream makes much of a difference.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I use a Mach 3 Turbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you need to control for facial hair thickness and growth rate. You might be a babyface where people wouldn't notice if you skipped shaving for a couple days. But if I tried shaving just once without shaving gel, it would be pretty painful.

jakethebake
10-30-2005, 12:23 PM
I bought a Mach 3 Turbo yesterday. It was great this morning. However, I hadn't shaved in about three days. I don't usually shave on the weekends, and usually, the razor burn starts on around wed-thurs after shaving for a couple of days. We'll see later this week whether I think it's worth it.

Sponger15SB
10-30-2005, 12:30 PM
I shave like once every three days (should do it every other) and I probably change mine every 5-6 shaves.

A new razor makes it feel sooooo much better. I'm just such a rich fucking baller though that spending money on razors is nothing. I repeat, nothing.

Jack of Arcades
10-30-2005, 12:50 PM
http://greatrazors.com

jakethebake
10-30-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://greatrazors.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd heard of this before. Have you actually done this?

edit: seems kind of silly with the Mach 3. The blade will last but the little patch of lube or whatever it is will be all worn off.