PDA

View Full Version : KK under the gun

Choven
06-12-2003, 03:09 AM
Here's a hand from a 2/4 online game.

From what I can tell, the table appears to be loose with a few tight players and one loose-aggressive. I also noticed quite a few Ax hands winning on the flop.

I'm UTG and raise with K /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . UTG+1 cold calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 & MP2 call, folds to the BB who calls.

Flop comes 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . BB bets, I raise, UTG+1 cold calls, BB calls, rest folded.

Turn brings 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . BB checks, I bet, UTG+1 calls, BB folds.

River card is T /forums/images/icons/club.gif . I know I should have bet out, but with how the game was going, my raises were not receiving respect. Here's what I was thinking. If I bet it and was raised, I'd have to called 2 big bets to keep him honest. Since UTG+1 did not raise PF, on the flop, or on the turn when three hearts were out, I figured he had an A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif with a ten or queen. He could have slowplayed since I watched this guy call UTG with JTo all the way after flopping the nut straight on the flop. So, fearing the reraise, I checked and called.

He showed down A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif beating my Kings up. I never put him on a pair of aces.

Thoughts and comments on this play?

travisand
06-12-2003, 03:51 AM
First off, no matter what you did wrong in this hand you didn't play as bad as UTG+1.

I think you have to bet the river. Most people will raise the turn with their strong hands, in this case either trip 4's or the flush, so I wouldn't be too concerned about those. It would be my reasoning that UTG+1 has TPTK or something of that nature.

Since UTG+1 did not raise PF, on the flop, or on the turn when three hearts were out, I figured he had an A with a ten or queen

I agree completely and think that you therefore should have bet the river.

lil'
06-12-2003, 08:47 AM
I would have bet the river here, as nobody gave you any reason to think your hand wasn't best.

You really have to thank UTG+1 for not taking more money from you. Seriously, you could have (and against a good player you WOULD have) lost much more here.

Dynasty
06-12-2003, 10:05 AM
you didn't play as bad as UTG+1.

I like UTG+1's play on all streets. What do you think he did wrong?

The pre-flop cold-call with AA is perfect. 3-betting there is a mistake if it's going to get people behind you to fold (which I'm assuming it will).

The flop cold-call rather than 3-betting is interesting. It allows a turn raise if a dangerous card (heart, Queen) doesn't come. On a paired flop like this, most hands are drawing real slim against AA. There's no middle pair or bottom pair drawing to a 5-outer. Even top pair of Queens is drawing to just a 2-outer.

On the turn, I'd be wary of the Big Blind check-raising with either a flush or a 4. With the Ah in your hand, calling is best since there are no draws on the board to worry about.

The river bet is clear.

He showed down AA beating my Kings up. I never put him on a pair of aces.

Damn strong evidence that UTG+1 stumbled into good play.

bernie
06-12-2003, 10:21 AM
AA saved you alot of chips this hand. you gotta love that. he had a great spot to raise on the flop where no one would really put him on trips or AA. more likely a Q.

gotta love this guy in your game

b

JTG51
06-12-2003, 12:14 PM
If I bet it and was raised, I'd have to called 2 big bets to keep him honest.

Just a note about the river play. If you bet and had been raised, folding would be a very big mistake. You aren't just calling to keep them honest, you'd be calling because you will often have the best hand. Your opponent could easily be raising you with QT for top to pair on the river, which you beat.