PDA

View Full Version : 100nl, AK called by practically the entire table

10-29-2005, 07:57 PM
I have about $160, haven't been getting out of line and shown down good hands.

preflop

UTG limps, UTG+2 limps, MP2 limps, LP limps, CO limps, Hero is dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in SB and raises to 9, BB folds, EVERYONE ELSE CALLS????

flop
A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
pot is 54

Hero???

No comments on the size of the raise, the table hadn't shown this kind of looseness before so I just went with the standard.

Hattifnatt
10-29-2005, 08:01 PM
I'll bet 45-50.

Godfather80
10-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Pot.

10-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Stupidly, I bet out 35.

UTG calls and has about 150 behind.

Turn 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
now what?

BobboFitos
10-29-2005, 08:12 PM
bet 27

xorbie
10-29-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stupidly, I bet out 35.

now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet. Probably fold to a raise.

Hattifnatt
10-29-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bet 27

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is that a good an amount?

Godfather80
10-29-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stupidly, I bet out 35.

now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, that was an awkward flop bet considering your stack size. This sucks because your only real move is to lead push, check/push, or check/fold. I'm probably check/pushing here because I'm not really afraid of the runner runner spades if he checks behind and because I think a lot of hands that you are ahead of will bet behind you. Lead pushing here will fold out many hands that you beat that probably would have bet if checked to.

*Had you potted the flop, I'd probably do the same thing here.

Godfather80
10-29-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stupidly, I bet out 35.

now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet. Probably fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Xorbie, the pot has $124 in it and hero has only $115 left. What sized bet can he make here where he can comfortably fold to a raise? If hero leads for half the pot and villain raises, hero will be getting better than 4:1 on an 8 out draw (2 Kings, 2 Aces, 4 Queens). Basically, anything over a mini-bet prices in his call of a raise. Why not check/push?

BobboFitos
10-29-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bet 27

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is that a good an amount?

[/ QUOTE ]

why is the pot a better bet?

Im not looking to fold any hands drawing dead, and frankly protecting vs a 4 out gutshot (like what fell) isn't a high priority. A half pot does just as well at that, too.

You have the flop, turn, and river to get money in! No rush.

If someone flopped QT, you're not getting away from this anyway, so play it slowly enough to garner value from worse hands.

As played, I dont know why people want to bet fold, thats gross, he could have the Q, I'd check, and take it from there.

10-29-2005, 08:29 PM
I checked the turn, looking to push on top of a modest bet. Instead Villain beats me to it and open pushes and I fold.

yes, i am extremely ashamed of this hand

Godfather80
10-29-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I checked the turn, looking to push on top of a modest bet. Instead Villain beats me to it and open pushes and I fold.

yes, i am extremely ashamed of this hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be, you lost the minimum. Villain cost himself money. Your flop bet was fine. I only pot it on the flop because that's the way I'd play a lot of hands in that position. When villain pushes, there really aren't many hands you are beating. In a very real way, he helped you a great deal and saved a majority of your stack.

10-29-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stupidly, I bet out 35.

now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check, and probably fold to a bet.

NYCNative
10-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Let's look to the preflop action here: Everyone limp-calls a rather big raise from someone out of position. What are people limp-calling with? First of all, what is beating you here:

AA
KK
JJ

Those hands don't usually limp-call so you can safely eliminate those holdings (sometimes donks will slowplay AA all the way to the river but we can't assume that and sometimes people play Jacks for set value but again, that's tough to put someone on in this case).

What else beats you after the flop:

QT

Does someone limp-call with QT, even of the suited variety? Unlikely (and if they do, mark them down and play with them frequently).

So you have 4th nuts here. I'm SHOCKED if you're behind here. Make a pot-sized bet immediately and hopefully take it down.

If you are called, when the T/images/graemlins/spade.gif drops; this is a bad card because now AQ is the most likely hand that is now beating you. The question there is did villain limp-call with AQ and then cold call a pot-sized bet from you - not because of the gutshot but because they just couldn't fold that Ace and didn't care that they were behind a ton of legitimate holdings that you could have including the big sets, the AK you have or even AJ?

You have to ask yourself: Did someone play AQ like this? I must say that it is possible. I don't see anything else given the action thus far to be very plausible; do you?

Another thing: a turn check after all of your preflop and flop aggression reeks of "I just defecated myself" and villain can see that and bet a lot of things here that don't beat you to get you to fold a stronger hand.

So on the turn I make a bet that seems like a teaser bet, like 1/3 of the pot. Yes, it might price in the backdoor spade draw but it does prevent you from being run over and it might allow you to take it down right there. Even if villain has it, they might get cute with the nuts and smooth call you so you can get to see a river redraw to the boat or a queen that chops it. Or maybe you don't even need the help and villain checks it down and you win against his weaker holdings.

Of course you can fold to a turn raise of substantial proportions if you really don't feel it, but I think you have the second best hand that is legitimately possible here and a LOT of bad players will play like villain did with less and you have outs if you are behind.