10-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Yes.

Fall back.

istewart
10-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Awesome. Thanks.

Hamish McBagpipe
10-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Daylight savings doesn't mean much to me as I settle in for a 6 or 7 hour p*ker session. It just means I pass out at 4am instead of 5.

jason_t
10-29-2005, 07:53 PM
Daylight savings time infuriates me. Darkness at 5 pm sucks.

In 2007 the dates for observing DST will change.

daryn
10-29-2005, 08:01 PM
daylight saving

Matt Williams
10-29-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but you don't actually lose an hour of daylight, it just gets moved up an hour earlier. I don't think it's a big deal. Next year I believe it's being moved to the first week of November. Ohhh... that's going to make a big diffence. Like Bush has nothing better else to do than change DST.

jason_t
10-29-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but you don't actually lose an hour of daylight, it just gets moved up an hour earlier. I don't think it's a big deal. Next year I believe it's being moved to the first week of November. Ohhh... that's going to make a big diffence. Like Bush has nothing better else to do than change DST.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that we don't actually lose an hour of daylight, I just prefer it to not get dark early.

Matt Williams
10-29-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that we don't actually lose an hour of daylight, I just prefer it to not get dark early.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh OK. I just mentioned it because I know some people who believe we actually lose an hour of daylight. No matter how often I try to explain it, they fail to comprehend it.

jason_t
10-29-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh OK. I just mentioned it because I know some people who believe we actually lose an hour of daylight. No matter how often I try to explain it, they fail to comprehend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sad that there are people this dumb. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

daryn
10-29-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly we do lose some amount of daylight. not that it happens overnight though.

UCF THAYER
10-29-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should seriously think about meeting other people.

10-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Why is Arizona the only place that doesnt change their clocks? It messes me up being from the midwest all my life!

Matt Williams
10-29-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is Arizona the only place that doesnt change their clocks? It messes me up being from the midwest all my life!

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually know the answer to this. A friend of mine is a meterologist in Tempe. He told me the reason is because it gets so hot there that if they changed it, temps. would still be over 100 at 10 PM. Basically, it's nighttime during the coolest hours there. He also told me they won't change it next year.

10-29-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually know the answer to this. A friend of mine is a meterologist in Tempe. He told me the reason is because it gets so hot there that if they changed it, temps. would still be over 100 at 10 PM. Basically, it's nighttime during the coolest hours there. He also told me they won't change it next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's another couple of months with the temperature over 100 degrees after 10pm? /images/graemlins/grin.gif Makes sense though. Thanks!

TheHip41
10-29-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because it's 120 degrees all the time. what's the point of 'saving' that daylight.

jokerthief
10-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Not for me. I refuse to participate in this.

CORed
10-29-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Acutally, we will have darkness at 5pm because daylingt saving(s) time is ending. Actually, IMO only 8 hours of daylight sucks regardless of whether you get up in the dark or go home in the dark, but that's the way it works so the only way around it is to move to the tropics, where it's close to 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness year-round, or chase summer back and forth between the hemispheres.

Brom
10-29-2005, 09:38 PM
I heard it was only the States changing the daylight saving time? Canada is considering following suit too, but it's still up in the air. Won't this mess with timezone shifting too?

"Lets see, New york is 8 hours behind paris; But since it's November 3, we must be 7 hours behind for the next 5 days until we revert to 'normal' time and get back into the 8 hour zone"*

*All numbers were made up in haste, because I didn't bother to work out any logistics of this, but you can see my point.

CORed
10-29-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sad that there are people this dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I actually had a girlfriend once who had no idea how the phases of the moon work. At some point, for some reaon or other, we were talking about the moon and she asked, "Can't you have a full moon one night and no moon the next night?". I dumped her shortly after this. There were other reasons, but the moon thing was definitely a factor.

TheNoodleMan
10-29-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Indana doesn't change either, not yet anyway. They have voted to start next year but there is still a chance it won't happen because the elected fools can't decide if we want to go central or eastern. Right now it is being left up to each county to choose, which is setting up to be a disaster. Can you imagine having to change your watch on a county by county basis?
Oh well, what else do you expect when a Bush flunky with no prior elected experience becomes Governor.

joshman1204
10-29-2005, 09:45 PM
I thought the states were the only ones on daylight savings anyway /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

10-29-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right now it is being left up to each county to choose, which is setting up to be a disaster. Can you imagine having to change your watch on a county by county basis?

[/ QUOTE ]
haha! someone else told me this and I didn't believe them. Thought they were kidding me. That is so weird.

jdl22
10-29-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't in Hawai'i either, though it's pretty clear that it's not needed.

BottlesOf
10-29-2005, 09:48 PM
No, that is wrong.

Brom
10-29-2005, 09:52 PM
I thought the majority of countries with the same general latitude as the sates and north (or similar regions in the southern hemisphere) experienced DST. Even regions as close to the tropics as Mexico do it.

I could easily be mistaken though, because the more I think about it, the more I realize I can't quote a source for that information.

TheNoodleMan
10-29-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Right now it is being left up to each county to choose, which is setting up to be a disaster. Can you imagine having to change your watch on a county by county basis?

[/ QUOTE ]
haha! someone else told me this and I didn't believe them. Thought they were kidding me. That is so weird.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is part of a our new state motto:
Indiana, where you can mary your sister if you can figure out what time the wedding is.

10-29-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is part of a our new state motto:
Indiana, where you can mary your sister if you can figure out what time the wedding is.

[/ QUOTE ]
You made me laugh!

rusellmj
10-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Kinda strange that we're still observing something that was started in WWI to conserve lamp fuel. I've read though that in one state only half the state is on DS, farmers in that state don't want it in their region. I grew up in AZ so I think it's kinda dumb.

jstnrgrs
10-29-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What really sucks is the sun rising at 4:30 am in the summer. We should be on triple daylight savings time by then.

jstnrgrs
10-29-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's another couple of months with the temperature over 100 degrees after 10pm? /images/graemlins/grin.gif Makes sense though. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it should be pointed out that Arizona is not the only place (in the USA) with out DST. There's also Indiana and Hawaii.

jstnrgrs
10-29-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard it was only the States changing the daylight saving time? Canada is considering following suit too, but it's still up in the air. Won't this mess with timezone shifting too?

"Lets see, New york is 8 hours behind paris; But since it's November 3, we must be 7 hours behind for the next 5 days until we revert to 'normal' time and get back into the 8 hour zone"*

*All numbers were made up in haste, because I didn't bother to work out any logistics of this, but you can see my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this does happen, but I believe that Europe has always changed its clocks at a different time than the USA, so I think people can mannage.

BTW, I think we should stay on Daylight saving time all year, and perhapse even go to doulble daylight saving time in the summer.

10-29-2005, 10:44 PM
Would you believe there is no daylight savings in Indiana? Very strange state.

jstnrgrs
10-29-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Indana doesn't change either, not yet anyway. They have voted to start next year but there is still a chance it won't happen because the elected fools can't decide if we want to go central or eastern. Right now it is being left up to each county to choose, which is setting up to be a disaster. Can you imagine having to change your watch on a county by county basis?
Oh well, what else do you expect when a Bush flunky with no prior elected experience becomes Governor.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were form Indiana, I would want to keep it the way it is. It is way west in the time zone (eastern), so daylight saving time isn't really nessessay. If they had to change, I would go to central time since that is the time zone of most major nearby cities.

jstnrgrs
10-29-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kinda strange that we're still observing something that was started in WWI to conserve lamp fuel. I've read though that in one state only half the state is on DS, farmers in that state don't want it in their region. I grew up in AZ so I think it's kinda dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we didn;t have it, we would have sunrise at 3:30 am in the summer here in MA. I agree that AZ doesn't need it, but that is not the case for the whole country.

10-29-2005, 10:47 PM
The governor is about to put us on ET. Dumb ass should realize central is more appropriate. We are right next to Chicago. A day's drive from NY????

jstnrgrs
10-29-2005, 10:50 PM
BTW, everyone needs to remember to check the batteries in their smoke detectors.

Klepton
10-29-2005, 10:58 PM
this is the one day every year that people commit murders and then wait an hour and go somewhere with a video camera for an alibi.

TheNoodleMan
10-29-2005, 11:04 PM
I'd rather not change my clock. I'm of the opinion that time is a scientific measurement and shouldn't be messed with.

Klepton
10-29-2005, 11:05 PM
after reading through this thread i realised that the forum went a serious way and not a funny way on this topic.

and jason is from alaska, that's why he hates darkness.

jstnrgrs
10-29-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather not change my clock. I'm of the opinion that time is a scientific measurement and shouldn't be messed with.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, I assume that you set you watch according to a local sundial.

haakee
10-29-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've read though that in one state only half the state is on DS, farmers in that state don't want it in their region.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indiana.

TTChamp
10-30-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hawaii doesn't shift either.

EDIT: Guess I should have read the whole thread first.

2+2 wannabe
10-30-2005, 01:32 AM
Saskatchewan, Canada doesn't follow DS either

they're a hardcore farming province FWIW

Lazymeatball
10-30-2005, 02:07 AM
all this whining about daylight savings time kind of helps me understand why there was widespread chaos in England when they switched to the Gregorian Calendar.

jason_t
10-30-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
after reading through this thread i realised that the forum went a serious way and not a funny way on this topic.

and jason is from alaska, that's why he hates darkness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it's true. Darkness /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

BruceZ
10-30-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What you mean is that you would like daylight savings time all year. Me too. We had daylight savings time in the summer. We are now going off of daylight savings time.

TheBlueMonster
10-30-2005, 10:14 AM
uch, there's nothing worse than waking up hungover only to realize that you've woken up an hour earlier than you would have cause of daylight savings time.

I know it's the same amount of sleep, but it's really frickin disorienting.

Lazymeatball
10-30-2005, 11:43 AM
I just realized that my watch that I don't know how to prgram now tells the correct time again, so I can start wearing it again. Woohoo.

10-30-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know this. Very interesting! Why in the hell would they even think of going to ET? Central I can understand.