PDA

View Full Version : Rounders part 2?

arod4276
06-12-2003, 02:01 AM
I was playing low limit on poker stars tonight and got into a conversation with a guy about the movie "Rounders". He told me they were filming part 2 in Vegas right now. Anybody else heard this, or is this guy full of pooppoop? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

JTG51
06-12-2003, 02:21 AM
I've been hearing rumors about it for at least a year. I also heard that Matt Damon isn't in it, someone else is playing Mike McD. If that's true, it's too bad. The movie had it's problems, but I thought Damon was good.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Damon's performance was OK, but he was surrounded by so much real talent (Norton, Turturro, Landau, Malkovic)that he just got carried along.

JTG51
06-12-2003, 11:46 AM
You could very well be right. Those four are and were all great. Norton, Turturro, and Malkovich are three of my favorites.

I just don't like seeing movies where the main characters are played by different actors in the sequel.

B-Man
06-12-2003, 12:26 PM
There is absolutely nothing listed for Rounders 2 at the international movie database website, and I have got to think they would have something listed if Rounders 2 was in production.

Also, as much as I enjoyed Rounders, I think the idea of a sequel is pretty ridiculous, and even more so without Matt Damon.

I think this falls under the heading "Don't believe everything you hear..."

Big Al
06-12-2003, 12:37 PM
Matt Damon is an outstanding actor. See "The Talented Mr. Ripley" if you think otherwise.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-12-2003, 12:51 PM
I never said he was bad, just not the equal of the 4 I mentioned.

andyfox
06-12-2003, 01:10 PM
And not the equal of Jude Law in The Talented Mr. Ripley.

I agree with your assessment of him. A goood but not great actor who can be good in just the right role. I liked his work in Ocean's 11, probably because he didn't have to carry the movie.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-12-2003, 01:15 PM
I'll cut Damon a little slack here. It's rare for the pretty boy type to get any edgy roles than give him the chance to expand his range.

lefty rosen
06-12-2003, 04:41 PM
They definately left a window open at the end of the film, but where could this movie lead to? Maybe he has a confrontation with worm? Anyway beyond the tournament poker scenes and the envitable scenes of the seamy underbelly of Vegas, this movie would be pretty predictable.

Ulysses
06-12-2003, 06:26 PM
You can find out all sorts of info about movies in production here: Upcoming Movies (http://movies.yahoo.com/upcoming/)

and here: Internet Movie Database (http://www.imdb.com)

You'll find an "Email Greg" link on the first site. Good chance he can give you a definitive answer re: the status of a Rounders sequel.

Bill Murphy
06-12-2003, 08:58 PM
Movie & TV show, although the movie wrapped months ago. Either that or he was BS'ing you or doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

Why would they make a sequel to a fringe/niche movie that bombed?

beernutz
06-12-2003, 09:45 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Why would they make a sequel to a fringe/niche movie that bombed?

[/ QUOTE ]
While Rounders was no blockbuster I think bombed is a bit harsh. According to IMDB it was made for around $12M and made almost twice that in the US alone at the theaters.

nicky g
06-13-2003, 06:40 AM
Damon's ok but I thought he was miscast in Rounders. He looks like such a dull, nice boy; not that poker players can't be nice, but he's so utterly lacking in style. Look at his haircut and clothes for goodness sake. They should have at least lent him Worm's leather jacket. In Ripley again he's ok but he doesn't remotely convince as someone who could pass him self off as Dickie the way Tom is supposed to - again, no style compared to Jude Law.

Rushmore
06-13-2003, 01:03 PM
He gets to Vegas, catches an unbelievable blizzard of cold cards and bad beats, goes to Gambler's Anonymous, meets Lucky, and ends up on cable television, hacking out a mediocre existence, but with a soft, ironically funny edge to him.

Duh.

microlimitaddict
06-13-2003, 11:01 PM
ideas -
i think there is a lot of room for a "sequel" of sorts. but i would prefer they go a different direction if they can't get Damon again...not because Damon was soooo great (because he wasn't) but because i am very much against different actors taking over the character ala Dumb and Dumberer (the most recent example of different actors assuming the roles...and of why certain Hollywood execs should suffer long and painful deaths).

I could see a different type of poker story at the WSOP or in Vegas ring games or something...and perhaps Norton or Damon or Turturro make some sort of brief "cameo" in the movie as a passer-by. Similar in a way to the French trio of films Red, White and Blue...which were very loosely related to each other.

Would love to see the new lead actor get their clock cleaned by Damon in a ring game....or perhaps earn Damon's respect in the game while at the same time informing the viewer that Damon did indeed "make it" or is barely getting by or something.

Recently caught part of Color of Money on cable. There's an example of a pretty good "sequel" that nobody thought would be "sequelized". And the action from the tournament in the final half-hour of that movie is pretty engaging....as are the various 'hustles' on the way to A.C. Rounders already covered the 'hustle' aspect of course....but the tourney circuit could be interesting material i think....with a few twists and danger elements.

Just because it had a modest showing at the box-office I wouldn't underestimate the potential of a sequel. The movie had a pretty decent life on cable and on video.