PDA

View Full Version : Paul Depodesta

freehat
10-29-2005, 05:39 PM
What are the Dodgers thinking, pretty dumb move by McCourt. Being a Phillies fan I'm hopeful they would hire him, but they suck and probably won't even interview him.

pokerdirty
10-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I heard that they were thinking of firing him...did they actually pull the trigger?

Huskiez
10-29-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard that they were thinking of firing him...did they actually pull the trigger?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2207524).

bugstud
10-29-2005, 06:02 PM
FIRE HENDRY NOW! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheRover
10-29-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

battschr
10-29-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack of Arcades
10-29-2005, 09:09 PM
WTF?

TheRover
10-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Basically, Frank McCourt is a retarded douchebag and is also easily influenced by retarded local media douchebags (edit:) and maybe Tommy LaSorda.

andyfox
10-29-2005, 09:32 PM
What kind of team first fires the manager because he doesn't see eye to eye with the general manager, then, a few weeks later, fires the general manager?

pokerdirty
10-29-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What kind of team first fires the manager because he doesn't see eye to eye with the general manager, then, a few weeks later, fires the general manager?

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of fans don't show up until the 4th inning and leave by the 7th?

andyfox
10-29-2005, 09:36 PM
I show up before the game starts. And I rarely last until the 7th.

andyfox
10-29-2005, 09:37 PM
What Tommy Lasorda knows about baseball could fit comfortably into the eye of a needle, with plenty of room left over for the brain of Phil Garner and the heart of Barry Bonds.

Dynasty
10-29-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What Tommy Lasorda knows about baseball could fit comfortably into the eye of a needle..

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do so many people pretend that people like Tommy Lasorda, Joe Morgan, or whoever know little about baseball?

hoyaboy1
10-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Because it's kind of like what slave owners knew about black people. They've been around them a long time, but everything they know is so colored by bias that the truth is hard to find.

Jack of Arcades
10-29-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What Tommy Lasorda knows about baseball could fit comfortably into the eye of a needle..

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do so many people pretend that people like Tommy Lasorda, Joe Morgan, or whoever know little about baseball?

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe Morgan obviously knows a lot about certain parts of baseball. It's too bad most of the time he's speaking about other parts of baseball.

Oski
10-29-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, Frank McCourt is a retarded douchebag and is also easily influenced by retarded local media douchebags (edit:) and maybe Tommy LaSorda.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lasorda hates Italians.

Roybert
10-29-2005, 11:19 PM
I'd hire DePo in a second tomorrow.

Jorge10
10-29-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Los Angeles Douche Bags thats who.

Also whats up with some of his trades, billy bean he was not. I dont know how long he lasted on the job, but I cant really think of anyone he developed that now plays on the team. How long did he last Andy?

Jorge10
10-29-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd hire DePo in a second tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with this, I mean it sure seemed like he got really unlucky here, I mean gagne was gone, and so were a few others on the team this year. After making the playoffs cant he get a freebie year?

scott8
10-29-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd hire Jim Tracy in a second tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

DougOzzzz
10-30-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Los Angeles Douche Bags thats who.

Also whats up with some of his trades, billy bean he was not. I dont know how long he lasted on the job, but I cant really think of anyone he developed that now plays on the team. How long did he last Andy?

[/ QUOTE ]

from the ESPN article:
[ QUOTE ]
DePodesta had cut loose Alex Cora, Steve Finley and Jose Lima in addition to Lo Duca, Green and Beltre. All were key players in the division title run the previous year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cora, Finley, Lima, and Beltre all SUCKED last year. Sounds like when you nail 4 out of 6 on the head and are maybe slightly off on 2 of them, you are doing pretty good.

Roybert
10-30-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What Tommy Lasorda knows about baseball could fit comfortably into the eye of a needle, with plenty of room left over for the brain of Phil Garner and the heart of Barry Bonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank effing God someone finally said it. Well struck.

Clarkmeister
10-30-2005, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly, I think he deserved to get canned. Tracy, however, did not.

M2d
10-30-2005, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What kind of fans don't show up until the 4th inning and leave by the 7th?

[/ QUOTE ]
Giants fans

Soul Daddy
10-30-2005, 04:55 AM
He was never forgiven for letting go of the team's "heart and soul" last season, and sadly was on a short leash ever since. It's insane to me that an owner would hire a GM that so clearly adheres to a certain philosophy without being on board with said philosophy himself.

bugstud
10-30-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that letting beltre go thing was just soooo awful.

Clarkmeister
10-30-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say it had anything to do with Beltre? I've discussed my thoughts on him in some other tread in quite a bit of detail. Just because one is a graduate of Billy Beane U, doesn't mean one is as good as the professor.

scott8
10-30-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't think this had anything to do with Beltre.

First, most in Dodger town think McScrooge wouldn't open the purse strings for Beltre.

Second, he certainly didnt have a contract year in Seattle.

Depodesta's firing was more an example of Frank the Tank having no clue how to run an organization.

If Depodesta was to go, Tracy should still be the manager. He still had the Dodgers competing in September after losing more than a season worth of games to the DL.

10-30-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not going to happen, but maybe the new Dodgers GM is dumb enough to hire Dusty? There have been lots of rumors of him wanting to go to LA. I don't think I will be able to take another year of him without wanting to kill myself.

bugstud
10-30-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say it had anything to do with Beltre? I've discussed my thoughts on him in some other tread in quite a bit of detail. Just because one is a graduate of Billy Beane U, doesn't mean one is as good as the professor.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, but he's being fired for getting rid of players that were not good and building a nl west championship caliber team that had everyone and anyone get hurt.

Clarkmeister
10-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Is he a family member of yours? You seem to be taking his firing personally. FWIW, PDP's firing of Tracy is way worse than the organization's firing of him. And, when one throws an asinine contract at JD Drew, it should come as no surprise that he's injured and it certainly isn't an excuse, it's an example of poor decision making that is capable of getting one canned.

bugstud
10-30-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is he a family member of yours? You seem to be taking his firing personally. FWIW, PDP's firing of Tracy is way worse than the organization's firing of him. And, when one throws an asinine contract at JD Drew, it should come as no surprise that he's injured and it certainly isn't an excuse, it's an example of poor decision making that is capable of getting one canned.

[/ QUOTE ]

drew's contract puzzled me, I will agree to that. Same for Lowe, actually. He's cited for making "strange" player decisions and trades, when he gets rid of guys like lo duca and beltre that are extremely unproductive for the amount of money they will make, but get villified when half of his team is gone during the year. I think the man is at worst in the top ten of gm talent, has a clue, etc etc.

Clarkmeister
10-30-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the man is at worst in the top ten of gm talent, has a clue, etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what successes? Between their terrible in-season moves last year to their less than stellar offseason, dude hasn't done much right.

mrbaseball
10-30-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude hasn't done much right

[/ QUOTE ]

But he's a Billy Beane disciple!

bugstud
10-30-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the man is at worst in the top ten of gm talent, has a clue, etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what successes? Between their terrible in-season moves last year to their less than stellar offseason, dude hasn't done much right.

[/ QUOTE ]

care to elaborate on what in-season moves were so bad?

pokerdirty
10-30-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not going to happen, but maybe the new Dodgers GM is dumb enough to hire Dusty? There have been lots of rumors of him wanting to go to LA. I don't think I will be able to take another year of him without wanting to kill myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man i hope this happens. for mere comedic purposes alone /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
10-30-2005, 03:25 PM
The ones that took a serious contender for the NL and turned them into a first round doormat for the Cardinals in a brutally aborted attempt to land the Unit?

I really want to link to my previous comments, but the search function is sucking now, so it's not worth it. But they are out there, somewhere.

Jack of Arcades
10-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeah, like those guys he got mid season, Adrian Beltre and Steve Finley, who combined for 3 RBI in the series.

These were the players in the NLDS last year that played well

Milton Bradley
Eric Gagne
Jayson Werth
Jose Lima
Duaner Sanchez
Yhency Brazoban

Huh! Well will you look at that. He acquired five of those guys.

Jorge10
10-30-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He was never forgiven for letting go of the team's "heart and soul" last season, and sadly was on a short leash ever since. It's insane to me that an owner would hire a GM that so clearly adheres to a certain philosophy without being on board with said philosophy himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much.

Trading Lo Duca really hurt him. I think his inexperience showed with this trade. Now im not saying Lo Doca is Bonds or something, but he was the leader of the team and he was a HUGE fan favorite here. Dodger fans would tell me that was by far their favorite player. That would be like Cashman trading Jeter when they got Arod. I mean sure Arod was better, but still Jeter was the heart of the team and a HUGE fan favorite same type of deal. One difference he never got anything better to replace him. At least if Cashman made that move he would have been somewhat hated, but some would have said well its Arod or something. The problem is he got NOTHING to replace Lo Duca. That move sealed his faith.

Jack of Arcades
10-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Nothing except Brad Penny, who provided 200 innings of above average pitching and Hee-Seop Choi, an average 1B offensively and above-average 1B defensively making the minimum.

Meanwhile, Guillermo Mota self-destructed in Florida and Lo Duca's "heart and soul" did't help the Marlins one bit.

bugstud
10-30-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing except Brad Penny, who provided 200 innings of above average pitching and Hee-Seop Choi, an average 1B offensively and above-average 1B defensively making the minimum.

Meanwhile, Guillermo Mota self-destructed in Florida and Lo Duca's "heart and soul" did't help the Marlins one bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

but they'd clearly be allstars in LA /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jorge10
10-30-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me if the Yankees traded Jeter and got some average pitcher and an average first basemen, would Yankee fans be extremely happy?

Im not saying his trade was that bad, but PR wise it was horrible. No one in this town liked the guy after that. If I had a 1 dollar for every person that said he was insane itd be rich. Its not all numbers. I mean Jeter is not even close to Arod, but the Yankees made Arod move to third base. Sometimes you have to make some good PR moves, specially if you are new.

Also personally im not a believer of the heart and soul thing, so I didnt have any problems with any of his moves. I think he should have kept the job, but he made a lot of enemies here, it was hard to believe he would remain employed unless he made the playoffs several years in a row.

scott8
10-30-2005, 04:11 PM
I take issue with Hee-Sop being called an above average defensive first baseman. I know this what he was called when he arrived, but I watched enough Dodger games to see routine ground balls turn into doubles went hit at Hee-Sop.

Oski
10-30-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I take issue with Hee-Sop being called an above average defensive first baseman. I know this what he was called when he arrived, but I watched enough Dodger games to see routine ground balls turn into doubles went hit at Hee-Sop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the "Hee-Sop Chop" had more to do with his fielding than his hitting.

TheRover
10-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Jeter>>>>>>>>LoDuca

Dudd
10-30-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

JD Drew had a .932 OPS before getting hit by a pitch and breaking his wrist. Please tell me you're smart enough not to blame him for one of his players getting hit by a pitch.

10-30-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jeter>>>>>>>>LoDuca

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you can't really compare Lo Duca to Jeter. Lo Duca has basically been an average catcher offensively the last 4 yrs. He had a great year in 2001 and since then hasn't had an OBP above .340.

As for Hee Seop, he has struggled so far in his career but I still think he will be a very good player if given an opportunity. The only time he got to play on a consistent basis was last year in Florida, and he put up very good numbers there. I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded this offseason for next to nothing, and has a very good year whereever he goes. If Oakland didn't have Dan Johnson they would probably be all over him.

One last thing, didn't LA's farm system greatly improve while Depodesta was running the team?

Clarkmeister
10-30-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

JD Drew had a .932 OPS before getting hit by a pitch and breaking his wrist. Please tell me you're smart enough not to blame him for one of his players getting hit by a pitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it hadn't been that, it woulda been something else.

andyfox
10-30-2005, 08:44 PM
I said nothing about people like Tommy Lasorda or Joe Morgan. I said Tommy Lasorda knows very little about baseball. I misspoke. Tommy knows a lot about baseball. Almost all of it wrong. I watched him manage for many years.