PDA

View Full Version : Question about cell phones.

Sightless
10-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Sorry don't know where else to post this?

I’m one of those rare people, who doesn’t have a cell phone and never had one. I was thinking of getting me one, but getting one of those Pay as you Go plans.

How does that work? You pay per minute right? First you buy some minutes, and then you spend them? But what about your cell phone # do u keep it, once u run out of minutes?

And are pay as you go plans any good for people who wouldn’t call much and are they cost effective and better then normal plans?

And which company provides the best pay as you go plan?

JackWilson
10-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Well, I can assure you that you do in fact keep your number.

Without more detail about the specific pricing structure of pay as you go vs. contract in the U.S (or wherever you are) I can't say for sure which is more cost effective. The way it works here is that for someone who phones very little pay as you go makes sense, but a contract becomes a better choice very quickly if you're making 5-6 calls a day, assuming you get contract benefits like a free phone and such.

Rhone
10-29-2005, 03:05 PM
I had one of those types of phones for about a year. Saw an ad on some home shopping tv show for a $50 AT&T phone with a $50 rebate. The phone came with a number, which you kept even if you ran out of minutes. Whenever you wanted to recharge minutes, you'd just call an 800 number and use your credit card.

I think using that phone was roughy $.20 or $.25/ min., which at the time was a good deal for me because I never would have used the phone enough to justify a $35/mo bill. Can't help you with which service is best...

Leo99
10-29-2005, 11:15 PM
If you don't keep minutes on your phone for a certain length of time, you will lose your phone number. Vigin Mobile seems popular. My daughter has that. She didn't buy any minutes for months and lost her phone number and had to get a new number.

Sightless
11-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Question about this plan,

Pick Your Plan $39.99

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cell-ph...atid=2251300004 (http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/wireless-phone-plans/cell-phone-plans.jsp;dsessionid=ESHLGUAGHMSEHB4R0GZSFFA?pflow =a&catid=2206800016&subcatid=2251300004)

Do i have to pay 39.99 monthly?