PDA

View Full Version : The Dinner-Movie Date

pokerdirty
10-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Is this a good idea for a first date, or is it too much too soon? Should the first date be just dinner? Is just a movie acceptable?

Side question, what type of movies are unacceptable as first date movies?

FYI, i've been out of the dating scene a little too long, so please keep your flames to a minimum.

trying2learn
10-29-2005, 02:19 PM
this reminds me of the line from clerks, "oh great, the ol' dante hicks dinner & a movie date."

MrTrik
10-29-2005, 02:20 PM
If the first date is going to be a movie then make sure you plan a stop at the bar or home for a night cap. That way you can chat about the movie as well as setting up a second meet if you are into it.

Otherwise you are just sitting in the dark for two hours. Very littl interaction. Very little experience.

10-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Movie FIRST, then the dinner. Why? because unless you already have a lot in common or were friends first, dinner is likely to be a combination of nervous banter, awkward silence, and sweat pouring down your brow.
At least do an activity. I think first date dinners are WAY overrated...and part of why guys strike out so much.

g

KaneKungFu123
10-29-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a good idea for a first date, or is it too much too soon? Should the first date be just dinner? Is just a movie acceptable?

FYI, i've been out of the dating scene a little too long, so please keep your flames to a minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Someone is going to get lucky. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

KaneKungFu123
10-29-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Movie FIRST, then the dinner. Why? because unless you already have a lot in common or were friends first, dinner is likely to be a combination of nervous banter, awkward silence, and sweat pouring down your brow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I dont understand guys that get nervous like this?

The couple who sat next to me the last time I went for Sushi were on their first date. It was the most pathetic thing Ive ever witnessed.

Just keep in mind that if you arent in bed after the next date then its over, then you can avoid all this nervous foolishness.

Sooga
10-29-2005, 02:28 PM
i don't go out on many dates, but when I do, I try to keep the first date to something casual, like meeting at starbucks for coffee or something, or at most grabbing lunch somewhere. I haven't done dinner/movie on a first date in quite a while.

KaneKungFu123
10-29-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't go out on many dates, but when I do, I try to keep the first date to something casual, like meeting at starbucks for coffee or something, or at most grabbing lunch somewhere. I haven't done dinner/movie on a first date in quite a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP probably scored on his last date when they saw Casablanca.

jakethebake
10-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Just go for drinks. That's the perfect first date. Easy to escape from if it's miserable. A little tongue lubricant to loosen things up.

eviljeff
10-29-2005, 02:31 PM
honestly I never really saw the point of going to a movie with a date. it's just not a social experience. I guess I could see it if you just wanted to quietly cuddle with someone and not talk it'd be fine (though I think staying in and renting a movie is much better for this), but I think aiming for action on a first date might be a bit much.

I do see the need to have something to focus on other than each other to avoid awkwardness. I think the perfect date would be something where this type of awkwardness is minimized, but you could also allow for the possibility of chatting, connecting, and getting to know each other (which really shouldn't happen in a movie). I think the best type of activity is something like mini-golf, bowling, shooting pool - stuff like that.

KaneKungFu123
10-29-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go for drinks. That's the perfect first date. Easy to escape from if it's miserable. A little tongue lubricant to loosen things up.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH

pokerdirty
10-29-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OP probably scored on his last date when they saw Casablanca.

[/ QUOTE ]

Close. The Ring.

Yeti
10-29-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go for drinks. That's the perfect first date. Easy to escape from if it's miserable. A little tongue lubricant to loosen things up.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

10-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Alchohol is a must--especially if you've "been out of the game" for awhile. I personally recommend something simple like shooting pool (unless you really suck at pool and she can beat you) or even going to a bar where a band is playing so the noise is really loud and you have to talk loudly to be heard. Why? It increases the amount of drinking which makes talking less important overall, it makes you (and her) look more attractive to one another, and if you choose a cool place you look hip.

Basicaly, the rule of thumb here is that unless you are a confident dater, pick something that takes YOU out of the equation as much as possible...
g

pokerdirty
10-29-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just go for drinks. That's the perfect first date. Easy to escape from if it's miserable. A little tongue lubricant to loosen things up.

[/ QUOTE ]

i met this girl at a bar a couple of weeks ago at a friends birthday party. you know, the small talk, a few beers, but i had to leave early because i had work the next day. so i got her number.

called her last weekend to see if she wanted to do something, and she said she couldn't due to previous commitments, but would love to do something this weekend.

CD56
10-29-2005, 03:16 PM
I think dinner and a movie is fine, if you have a decent place and some skills in the kitchen you could make dinner for her, but you need to be sure that you can carry a conversation cause otherwise it could get real quiet real quick, the advantage here is that all the stuff in your apartment is a potential conversation starter

skipperbob
10-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Get "shxtfaced" before you meet....Always works for me /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

CD56
10-29-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you have to play it safe, i wouldnt deviate to far from the mainstream, unless you know she has a fondness for something in particular

if you rent a movie you have a much larger selection and an opportunity for a hot cuddling session on the couch

Cumulonimbus
10-29-2005, 03:37 PM
What I'd do:

If you have an outgoing personality and can keep a convo going for awhile, I'd recommend just calling her spur-of-the-moment on some nice evening and asking her if she's gonna be busy for say, the next 2 hours. If she says why, just say cuz you wanna see her. Anyways, go pick her up and take her for a walk around town. Along the way, you can pick up some coffee or frolic(sp?) in the wild. You know, whatever.

Anyways, if you hit it off, I'd recommend going all out for the next date. Candlelight, rose, pasta cooked by you, garlic bread, etc... Make her feel special, and make it all a surprise. Then take her home after dinner. After that, she should melt when she talks to you.

Anyways, that's just what I'd do. I actually just pulled that same maneuver on this beautiful girl, and the results have been nothing but perfect.

Good luck man! You gotta want it!

pokerdirty
10-29-2005, 03:39 PM
i want to take this advice seriously, but then i look at your avatar, and it totally kills it.

Cumulonimbus
10-29-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i want to take this advice seriously, but then i look at your avatar, and it totally kills it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, I'm a college guy and I stick to the college chicks. (Although I do teeter towards the freshmen.)

BottlesOf
10-29-2005, 03:44 PM
I like drinks as a first date. Dinner as a second, and not busting out a movie until 3rd or later date. Once you guys know each other and you already know you can hit it.

DMBFan23
10-29-2005, 05:09 PM
as I was opening this thread I decided I was going to post blind, "bad first date idea". I don't know if this helps you or not. I will go back and read and contribute the discussion at hand now.

DMBFan23
10-29-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like drinks as a first date. Dinner as a second, and not busting out a movie until 3rd or later date. Once you guys know each other and you already know you can hit it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I agree with this, keep the first date nice and casual and chill

pokerdirty
10-29-2005, 06:44 PM
Ok, i called the girl.

*ring*

*ring*

*ring*

*ring*

*answering machine*

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheNoodleMan
10-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Whatever you do, don't tell her you asked an internet message board where to take her.

pokerdirty
10-29-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever you do, don't tell her you asked an internet message board where to take her.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm surprised you guys haven't figured her out yet and started posting on her myspace account.

Brain
10-29-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure to leave your arm in an appropriate place for BOMA.

pokerdirty
10-29-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure to leave your arm in an appropriate place for BOMA.

[/ QUOTE ]

do i dare ask what BOMA is?

10-30-2005, 06:31 AM
Dont leave a message on the answering machine, those things are insta-death

Popinjay
10-30-2005, 06:45 AM
attract, comfort, seduce

Sabrazack
10-30-2005, 07:23 AM
I would think it means "Breast On My Arm". Is this the name we settled on for describing this phenomena?

KaneKungFu123
10-30-2005, 07:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like drinks as a first date. Dinner as a second, and not busting out a movie until 3rd or later date.

[/ QUOTE ]

no game.

KaneKungFu123
10-30-2005, 07:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Anyways, if you hit it off, I'd recommend going all out for the next date. Candlelight, rose, pasta cooked by you, garlic bread, etc... Make her feel special, and make it all a surprise. Then take her home after dinner. After that, she should melt when she talks to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys watch too much television.

7ontheline
10-30-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys watch too much television.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, any interesting girl worth dating is going to look at you like you're a sappy idiot if you do this. Any girl who falls for this is going to be unbearable after 3 months. How are you going to top this if things do get miore serious?

pokerdirty
10-30-2005, 01:29 PM
my life sucks

I go out last night to a friend's halloween party. one of the friends is on the dance team. dance team comes to party. pokerdirty chats up one of the hotties on the dance team. gets number at end of night. does not save in phone. pokerdirty loses. again.

jakethebake
10-30-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gets number at end of night. does not save in phone. pokerdirty loses. again.

[/ QUOTE ]

what did you do with it? you jsut tried to remember it? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

pokerdirty
10-30-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gets number at end of night. does not save in phone. pokerdirty loses. again.

[/ QUOTE ]

what did you do with it? you jsut tried to remember it? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know. i was pretty plastered. i think i closed my phone instead of hitting save. it didn't save.

pokerdirty
10-31-2005, 11:51 AM
UPDATE: She just added me as a facebook friend. God this might be the best invention ever.

10-31-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dance team

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf is "dance team"?

To reply to your post. Movie is ok but, your basically sitting in the dark for 2 hours w/out talking. If you're going to do the movie thing definitely do it first and then go out for drinks, that way you can talk about the movie and see how you hit it off.

IndieMatty
10-31-2005, 12:02 PM
First date should ALWAYS be thursday night drinks. Get drunk/chat.

Shajen
10-31-2005, 12:04 PM
lol,

so glad I'm out of this scene.

dinner/movie dates are ok, but if you have no game, or are shy/nervous, a drinks then dinner date is the correct move.

Don't get drunk, unless she does, just get lubed up a little so you're nice and loose.

Dinner and movie is good second/third date material.

pokerdirty
10-31-2005, 12:21 PM
apparently its like cheerleading, only in not in those unis, and they dance instead of happy fingers