PDA

View Full Version : Q high flush: too aggressive?

1C5
10-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Reads: both players play 55% of hands.

Was I too aggressive here?
How do you play this?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

River: (19.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 31.25 BB

McGahee
10-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Don't bet the flop - you don't want UTG facing the field w/ 2 cold. C/R or check/call.
I'd probably C/R the turn, but a turn 3-bet is definitely not too aggressive.
The river 3-bet is a bit crazy. MP2 is clearly sitting on a monster, or he filled up on the river.

Disconnected
10-29-2005, 02:24 PM
On the flop, I might check it. If it gets checked through, you lose some value, but a free card doesn't hurt you too much. The turn is fine, and I would bet the river, too, although I wouldn't 3-bet. With MP2 coming alive on a seeming river blank, I get the feeling he might have been slowplaying something good with you and UTG raising it up on the prior streets.

Scuba Chuck
10-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Hey D, one thing I've learned is that I have a lot of misplaced aggression, and here is a mistake that I was making too. One thing I'd try to keep in mind is when you get to the flop, prepare your mind set for how to behave when the flop has been raised rather than when it's just been limped.

2 cents.

10-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Don't 3 bet the river. MP2 should know you have a big hand. Just call and let UTG overcall, all 3-betting accomplishes is getting UTG to fold his AA and lets MP2 get another raise in.

detruncate
10-29-2005, 06:56 PM
The flop bet isn't bad if UTG will raise overcards as well as big hands. You'd love for tens to fold when you're up against overcards, and even one coldcaller makes it close to a value raise. I just call the raise 3-way, but you do have a bd straight draw in addition to your flush draw which gives you a little extra equity, so the 3-bet isn't bad if it stays 3 way -- MP2 is probably not going anywhere after coldcalling once, but he might just give up his T or whatever faced with the likelihood of an overpair from UTG + whatever you seem to like so much if UTG decides to cap.

That said, a c/r is the best way to utilize your relative position to trap the field on the flop. If you were thinking "pump my draw," you should have c/r'ed instead. I probably default to a c/r and bet out sometimes vs a known aggressive opponent.

I c/r the turn. Once UTG caps he's going to lead almost all the time. We don't want MP2 to have to call 2 cold again, though he does seem good at it. I cap a 3-bet from UTG.

I don't like MP2 waking up on the river. He might just have trips, but there's been a whole lot of action to this point + the potential flush for him to worry about. I'm concerned enough that I just call his raise and content myself with a likely overcall from UTG. If it's trips or worse, make a note to value bet MP2 more aggressively in the future.

10-29-2005, 06:59 PM
given the action pf, I wouldn't lead out on the flop. C/r for value smells better if enough people are still playing.

10-29-2005, 07:56 PM
*grunch*
check the flop
3betting the river is where you got excessive.

I expect UTG to have A5/images/graemlins/club.gif
MP2 scares me. I call and hope like hell he's a muppet betting 98.

DCWildcat
10-29-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure what betting accomplishes, with a likely raise to our immediate left.

I like C/Ring the turn, and calling the river.