PDA

View Full Version : To those of you who played Football

WackityWhiz
10-29-2005, 01:23 PM
I want to see if my high school coaches had similar workout/conditioning schedules that ya'll had.

8th grade: Pretty demanding, we ran a lot at the end of practice. My school had a lightweight and heavyweight class in which the cutoff was 125 lbs. I was on the heavyweight team and I remember the lightweight team sitting on the hill watching us run. I remember in a few instances where we ran 6-8 100 yd sprints. This seemed really brutal at the time. We also had this run called the "warrior run" in which we would start on the goalline and run the width of the field, when we got to the sidline, we ran to the 10 yd line and ran the width of the field, then out to the 20, etc. There was this really fat kid on the team and he would always be the last one to finish. Our coach would always chant "Hamburgers, just think about Hamburgers." Needless to say, he was fired a few years later for chewing tobacco during class and hitting on all the 8th grade girls.

Freshman: There was a decent sized hill (I'd say 25 ft tall) and we would get tortured on it. Usually had to do 15 or so, but I remember a few times that we ran 20 or 25. We had a sick workout called the gauntlet where we would have to bear crawl the width of the field, side step for 25 yards, then come back doing somersaults. Then the next time, we'd bear crawl, sidestep, then sprint. It was tough.

Sophomore: Nothing complicated like the others, just a lot of running. We would do 3 laps sprinting around the outside of the field. Then other days we would end practice with cross-fields where we would start on the sideline, run across and touch the other sideline, then run back. We would usually do 4-5 of these. Then of course there were the dreaded up-downs.

Varsity: This was the easiest conditioning wise as we didn't run all that much. Our coach just expected us to be in the weight room and get things done. We are pretty much the leading powerhouse in the state of Iowa, so the coaches are doing something right.

We were expected to workout in the weightroom Mon-Thur. Mondays and Wednesdays were arms/shoulders, Tues/Thurs was legs and abs. In the summer we had the same schedule.

WackityWhiz
10-29-2005, 03:35 PM
you skinny little twigs

WLVRYN
10-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Sounds pretty consistent with us, but I think maybe ours was a little tougher, especially on varsity. We ran alot, especially during the summer and hell week. We also used to do a ton of situps/leglifts too.

We used to have Weds night practices, and we always started those with 20 40's (and then we practiced our 2 minute offense/defense - I guess to get us used to being winded). We finished that pratice with 10 100's that we all had to finish in a certain amount of time or we'd have to go again (different times for linemen vs the backs/receivers).

Cumulonimbus
10-29-2005, 03:39 PM
I played every year. But I didn't really wanna read your long post. I'll just say this... three-a-days and 5-hour practices were the norm throughout highschool. Highschool football consumes your life

bravos1
10-29-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I played every year. But I didn't really wanna read your long post. I'll just say this... three-a-days and 5-hour practices were the norm throughout highschool. Highschool football consumes your life

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.. and three-a-days in the South Florida heat and humidity sucked big time!

BCPVP
10-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Pretty consistent with what we did. I remember one conditioning drill done at the end of practice. They were called Gassers. You run the width of the field 4 times (there back, there back), 1 minute break, repeat 3 more times. If you had any penalties from the previous game, you ran an extra one up to 3 for each 5 yards. On top of all this there was a time limit for each position. If you didn't make it under time, you kept running instead of getting a break. Ah those were the days...

tom441lbk
10-29-2005, 06:01 PM
i think sup bro was all county in 1995, you should ask him, what his workout schedule was

10-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Left side! strong side!