PDA

View Full Version : Why can smokers throw cigarette butts out the window

skiier04
10-29-2005, 12:49 PM
And I cant throw my McDonalds bag out the window???

Plus the Mcdonalds bag cant start a fire...

Pet peeve alert.

Richard Tanner
10-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Simple answer: size. Real answer: No real reason, you're right.

Cody

WackityWhiz
10-29-2005, 12:50 PM
http://www.stephenturvey.co.uk/photos/milan2004/018.jpg

jakethebake
10-29-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pet peeve alert.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of my peeves too. I actually said something to a guy yesterday for this. He wasn't in a car though. He was on the sidewalk with a kid. And just tossed it on the ground right in front of me. I just looked at him and said, "nice example for your kid," as I walked by.

Jurollo
10-29-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pet peeve alert.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of my peeves too. I actually said something to a guy yesterday for this. He wasn't in a car though. He was on the sidewalk with a kid. And just tossed it on the ground right in front of me. I just looked at him and said, "nice example for your kid," as I walked by.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake... changing the world one life at a time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
~Justin

jakethebake
10-29-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

"The World According to Jake" has been a work in progress for some time. When it hits the bestseller list someday I intend to increase my impact dramatically. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

skiier04
10-29-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

"The World According to Jake" has been a work in progress for some time. When it hits the bestseller list someday I intend to increase my impact dramatically. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell I'd buy it /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MrWookie47
10-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Actually, in WA state, it's a fine of over a grand for tossing a lit cigarette butt out a window, while tossing something else is like a $600 fine.

mostsmooth
10-29-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pet peeve alert.

[/ QUOTE ]
because theyre assholes

daryn
10-29-2005, 01:13 PM
as far as i know throwing a cigarette butt out the window IS littering, i think you can be fined for it

mostsmooth
10-29-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as far as i know throwing a cigarette butt out the window IS littering, i think you can be fined for it

[/ QUOTE ]
it is, you can, but i would imagine it rarely ever happens.

DougOzzzz
10-29-2005, 01:23 PM
because smoking is cool and only nerds avoid littering.

pokerjoker
10-29-2005, 01:37 PM
I know people who have gotten fined for throwing cigs out the window. I thought it was ridiculus though.

skiier04
10-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Ive never heard of it being ticketed here in PA

Jurollo
10-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Can you really be tough enough to tell this cutie to not throw her butts on the ground? I know I couldn't!

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~eckdoug/pictures/new_years_cigarette.jpg

edit: this might be a little dude.

jakethebake
10-29-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can you really be tough enough to tell this cutie to not throw her butts on the ground? I know I couldn't!

[/ QUOTE ]

I could take her and about 50 of her friends.

Jurollo
10-29-2005, 01:56 PM
haha, so 51 was the number that we settled upon in the infamous 5 year old thread?
~Justin

jakethebake
10-29-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha, so 51 was the number that we settled upon in the infamous 5 year old thread?
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea. I was just making a guess for myself based on how tough she looks. That pullover is kinda baggy though so she might have more muscle mass than it appears.

gmrankin
10-29-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got pulled over for it once... no ticket though. I was like WTF? anyway, most new cars don't come with ashtrays and there fore out the window it goes.

daryn
10-29-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got pulled over for it once... no ticket though. I was like WTF? anyway, most new cars don't come with ashtrays and there fore out the window it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

most cars don't come with garbage bags so if i have a mcdonalds bag, out the window it goes

skiier04
10-29-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

most cars don't come with garbage bags so if i have a mcdonalds bag, out the window it goes

[/ QUOTE ]

This is key

jakethebake
10-29-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
most new cars don't come with ashtrays...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? My wife's '05 does. It's full of change. Do most not? When did this start? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oski
10-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Try to figure this out:

In California we have the "BUZZO LAW." If you throw a lit cig out of your car = $250 fine.

If you litter, $1,000 fine.

My buddy just got pulled over for this last Tuesday. The cop told him the whole thing (since he and my buddy are ex-jarheads). Yes, if the cig was NOT lit, it would have been a $1k fine. Instead, my buddy got a $250 ticket.

Apparently, a few years' back, some guy TRIED to throw a lit cigarette butt out his window, but it went into the back seat of his car. In the back was his kid, nicknamed "Buzzo." The kid got burned up pretty bad.

jstnrgrs
10-29-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pet peeve alert.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has actually been sugested that there be a 5cent deposit on cigarette butts (similar to what is done with soda cans). I think it is a good idea (though I think the deposit should be about $1 per butt). This would stop this littering very quickly.

jstnrgrs
10-29-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
most new cars don't come with ashtrays...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? My wife's '05 does. It's full of change. Do most not? When did this start? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually you can get the "smokers package" for a very small fee.

slickpoppa
10-29-2005, 03:57 PM
I think in Singapore they shoot you for this.

Sponger15SB
10-29-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know people who have gotten fined for throwing cigs out the window. I thought it was ridiculus though.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, we should totally be allowed to just throw our trash anywhere we want.

[censored] government pieces of [censored]

flatline
10-29-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to put words to my thoughts on the matter, but you already nailed it. Its just a cigarette butt, who cares?

InchoateHand
10-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Well, my cigarette "butts" are a thin bit of paper and some dried leaves. Doesn't really feel like littering. And McDonalds is filth. That [censored] will kill you.

siccjay
10-29-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to put words to my thoughts on the matter, but you already nailed it. Its just a cigarette butt, who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a a moran AND douchebag. Congrats, that takes a lot of retartedness.

gmrankin
10-29-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you should join your elementary schools debate team, what a great responce. a mcdonalds bag won't catch my car on fire will it? well my smoke will.

mostsmooth
10-29-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you should join your elementary schools debate team, what a great responce. a mcdonalds bag won't catch my car on fire will it? well my smoke will.

[/ QUOTE ]
why does this last reply make my head hurt?

daryn
10-29-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you arguing FOR me or AGAINST???

wow you are dumb

but hey, you smoke.. so i can't say i'm totally shocked

smurfitup
10-29-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my brother got a pretty expensive ticket for doing this last week... but it might be because the cops in that neighborhood like to profile minorities

mostsmooth
10-29-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my brother got a pretty expensive ticket for doing this last week... but it might be because the cops in that neighborhood like to profile minorities

[/ QUOTE ]
doesnt make it unrare

tonypaladino
10-29-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pet peeve alert.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you suggest he do with the butt? Cities provide trash cans on the streets for litter. If they provided ashtrays ashtrays, I'd gladly use them.

InchoateHand
10-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Field the butt. Roll out the lit cherry, step on it. Hold onto the filter, deposit it in a trash can when you next encounter one.

I did this for years. Now I just don't smoke cigarettes with filters, and I refuse to believe that the dried leaves I drop out my car window are litter.

gmrankin
10-29-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you arguing FOR me or AGAINST???

wow you are dumb

but hey, you smoke.. so i can't say i'm totally shocked

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/4854/alberteinstein7cc.jpg http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/1360/franklinroosevelt2vi.jpg http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/176/thomasalvaedison7hi.jpg http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6066/avrillavigne2jr.jpg

should i go on... Yea, smoking is dumb, but A LOT of people do it including myself. This thread was about a pet peave. An annoyance, but why do you care so much about what i do on public highways. if you go outside your house and there is a ton of cigarette butts there then i would be pissed, and i would say something to someone. If there is an ashtray around i use it, if there is a trash can i use it, but in the car... sorry boys and girls... out the window they go.

tonypaladino
10-29-2005, 06:14 PM
I hate smokophobia (http://www.jefflindsay.com/smokophobia/) .

Voltron87
10-29-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pet peeve alert.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you suggest he do with the butt? Cities provide trash cans on the streets for litter. If they provided ashtrays ashtrays, I'd gladly use them.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is this a reason for you to leave your crap wherever you want?

maybe the guardian angels should patrol the streets with ashtrays.

Homer
10-29-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why do you care so much about what i do on public highways.

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/18/BAGM9BDF021.DTL)

gmrankin
10-29-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why do you care so much about what i do on public highways.

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/18/BAGM9BDF021.DTL)

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of bounding along the pavement, however, the still-lit cigarette blew back in and set the interior of Fish's $30,000 SUV ablaze, he told police.

So he burnt up his own car... didn't know you care so much about others. horrible example, thought it was going to be about a forest fire... this responce took no time!! smoke em' if you got them!

InchoateHand
10-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Please note that proper smoker's etiquette for butt management was already described, yet another friendly service offered at no additional charge.

gmrankin
10-29-2005, 06:36 PM
pocket ashtray (http://www.elighters.com/zipoas.html)
never seen one of these before, maybe in the spirit of OOT i will order one.

InchoateHand
10-29-2005, 06:41 PM
I have used many an improvised device, but that is an incredibly handy little tool. I may well follow suit.

jakethebake
10-30-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pet peeve alert.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Spending tax dollars to support his filthy habit is not the answer. If he wants to smoke, he should figure out a way to do dispose of the butt without acting like trash. However, I'm guessing that crushing butt underfoot to ensure it's out and then putting it in a trash can would be acceptable.

Lazymeatball
10-30-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there is an ashtray around i use it, if there is a trash can i use it, but in the car... sorry boys and girls... out the window they go.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were a port-a john around I'd use it, but in the car, sorry boys and girls.... I just crap out the window.

ps. if you want to smoke it is your responsibility to come up with a reasonable way to dispose of your own butts. What the hell makes you think it's the worlds fault for not providing ashtrays for your whiny ass.

gmrankin
10-30-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If there is an ashtray around i use it, if there is a trash can i use it, but in the car... sorry boys and girls... out the window they go.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were a port-a john around I'd use it, but in the car, sorry boys and girls.... I just crap out the window.

ps. if you want to smoke it is your responsibility to come up with a reasonable way to dispose of your own butts. What the hell makes you think it's the worlds fault for not providing ashtrays for your whiny ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF you want to piss your pants or shit out the window no complaints from me! Loser... what a horrible example. and for your whiny ass comment, i am not the one who started this "pet peive" post. IMO OP is a... how did you put it... Oh yea, whiny ass.

Lazymeatball
10-30-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IF you want to piss your pants or shit out the window no complaints from me! Loser... what a horrible example. and for your whiny ass comment, i am not the one who started this "pet peive" post. IMO OP is a... how did you put it... Oh yea, whiny ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just stated that you think people crapping out of car windows is good policy. I'm done with this.

skiier04
10-30-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO OP is a... how did you put it... Oh yea, whiny ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty

stupidsucker
10-30-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pet peeve alert.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has actually been sugested that there be a 5cent deposit on cigarette butts (similar to what is done with soda cans). I think it is a good idea (though I think the deposit should be about $1 per butt). This would stop this littering very quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just awesome....

Tron
10-30-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
peave

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
peive

[/ QUOTE ]

How many different ways can you misspell peeve?

gmrankin
10-30-2005, 01:20 PM
piieve
peeive
peieve
peeeeev
peve
pe_ieve
pe=eve
Peaaeve
Peaive

i guess i could go on. I am a product of spell check, i have the spelling skills of a third grader, first one to admit that. anyway, i appologize, will this be effecting my grade in this class? didn't know you took off for spelling and grammar, i thought for a minute i was posting on a FREAKING INTERNET POK** FORUM. that is all. bye bye for now. Man i need a smoke

ChipWrecked
10-31-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6066/avrillavigne2jr.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, kids: If she smokes, she pokes.

dibbs
10-31-2005, 01:08 AM
If theres a cop behind me I never flick em out the window just because I dont want them to have a reason to pull me over, not sure if it's actually illegal or not though. I have a feeling if they want to nail you for littering for it they could.

reo
10-31-2005, 01:08 AM
It's littering . . . (cigarette butt)

. . . I paid the ticket.

10-31-2005, 04:23 AM
8/10.

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~eckdoug/pictures/new_years_cigarette.jpg

10-31-2005, 04:45 AM
Clearly photoshopped. In person she would be a 6.5/10 at best.