PDA

View Full Version : To you with the excessive bankroll -

Bosox
10-29-2005, 12:14 PM
If you're sitting on a bankroll that greatly overcovers any variance hits you might take, why is it still in poker?

This summer I got interested in investing and started cashing out all my excess and putting it in the market. There are fixed income vehicles which make more guaranteed interest (4% or more) than your poker account (0% on that unused excess). I have a buddy who tilted away 100k over a year just because it was there from a tourney win. I guess I'm half wondering why some people with obscene bankrolls don't invest and half suggesting that maybe some people should look into it.

I'm talking to you with 50k in party who only plays 1000nl.

Edit: Before you get all indignant, yes, this is a post about the Stock Market. No, it doesn't belong in that forum because I'm talking to people who DONT invest and may never look there.

sublime
10-29-2005, 12:39 PM
I invest mine in sportsbetting, because the ROI is > than the stock market for me (someone who wagers in a +EV manner)

I have started to sock some away in index finds though as one can never be too diverse.

Sykes
10-29-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm talking to you with 50k in party who only plays 1000nl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I get to this level, I would want AT LEAST 50K to play 1000NL.

But that's just me.

Niediam
10-29-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of reasons such as...

50k really isn't a huge amount for 1kNL...

The professional player who is smart and has 6-12 months of expenses set aside and feels he is more likely to tap into it for non-important if its actually set aside from his bankroll...

Someone who want to withdraw the money at a later time so he can pay taxes on it in a different year (I know this is illegal but it's unlikely the IRS will find out or make a big deal out of it)...

Someone who for whatever reason would have a hard time redepositing if he ever went bust online...

Someone who doesnt want his wife/children/boss/friends to know he has been doing well in online gambling... etc...