PDA

View Full Version : I just watched Full Metal Jacket

KaneKungFu123
10-29-2005, 11:25 AM
but the credits came up after only half of the movie was over...

i think kubrick really cheated himself here. this film could have been so much more.

Lazymeatball
10-29-2005, 11:32 AM
eh, the film is best remembered for the first half in boot camp, after that it sort of loses it's appeal, to me anyway.

ps. I still think the second half is good, but the first half is fugking awesome.

Richard Tanner
10-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Yeah I still remember actually saying "What? There's more." this first time a saw this. As you said, it isn't the lack of quality in Vietanm, but rather the high quality of Boot camp that makes it seem so tilted.

Cody

deacsoft
10-29-2005, 11:43 AM
I agree with everyone's take on this so far. I'd only like to add that this film was not Mr. Kubrik at his finest.

A_C_Slater
10-29-2005, 12:17 PM
I also thought this was just a movie about boot camp when I first saw it. Then they went to Vietnam and it seemed like a completely different movie which now that I think about it, may have been Kubrick's intent.

War should be completely different from boot camp.

There is a new movie coming out called Jarhead that is supposed to be the Full Metal Jacket of the 21st century with the marine boot camp to war plot development.

jakethebake
10-29-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I still remember actually saying "What? There's more." this first time a saw this. As you said, it isn't the lack of quality in Vietanm, but rather the high quality of Boot camp that makes it seem so tilted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think is very astute. People keep saying it was a great half a movie. True. But the other half was still very good, just not great relative to the first half.

KaneKungFu123
10-29-2005, 12:34 PM
i found the second half very enjoyable, nowhere near as good as the beginning, but still very well down.

i hated the way kubrick ended it, though. i felt joker's transformation was was way too rushed. i thought the close up on his face was completely melodramatic and cheesy.

then the movie just ends.

there is so much more he could have done with it.