PDA

View Full Version : Certified mail from IRS.

ISF
10-29-2005, 10:49 AM
I just relized I got certified mail from the IRS. How screwed am I? I may have been a bit agressive prior to this year, but nothing ridiculous. This year I have transfered quite a bit to my bank account via neteller. I wonder if this sets off any flags. This happened to anyone else?

Clarkmeister
10-29-2005, 10:51 AM
As long as you were honest, you have nothing to worry about.

10-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Could be for many reasons. Probably, actually highly unlikely, that this has anything to do with poker.

10-29-2005, 10:54 AM
No human being is completely honest Clark. Have you ever gone 56 in a 55 zone?

10-29-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever gone 56 in a 55 zone?

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize this has nothing to do with being honest right?

BadBoyBenny
10-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Not only is this not dishonest. In every state I have lived in there is no statute that makes it illegal to be one mile over the speed limit.

KaneKungFu123
10-29-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever gone 56 in a 55 zone?

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize this has nothing to do with being honest right?

[/ QUOTE ]

10-29-2005, 11:37 AM
do you know this for a fact about state law?
i always assumed they could pull you over for being one per hr over the speed they just dont.

Brainwalter
10-29-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i always assumed they could pull you over for being one per hr over the speed they just dont.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can here.

trying2learn
10-29-2005, 12:12 PM
The IRS has been sending a lot of refunds this year due to people overpaying...there's a good chance you are missing out on a check.

miajag81
10-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Wow. Sorry to say, but you're screwed here. I'd flee the country immediately if I were you.

10-29-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone who is given a traffic ticket has the oppurtunity to fight this ticket in court. If a radar gun is perfectly calibrated, it has a margin of error of at least 2 or 3 mph, and it is not always perfectly calibrated. Thus, you don't get pulled over for being one over, because either
1: The gun has you obeying the limit.
2: The gun has you within the margin of error of the SL, and you would be able to beat the ticket in court, so the police do not go through the trouble of writing it.
3: Lazy cops just don't care about people barely speeding.

stabn
10-29-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As long as you were honest, you have nothing to worry about.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not quite true. As long as you were honest and have very good documentation would be better. IRS audits seem to work from the guilty until proven innocent method.

fnord_too
10-29-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm surprised no one has asked yet:

What does the damn thing say?

10-29-2005, 02:52 PM
It's certified, he's been dodging the delivery guy.

slickpoppa
10-29-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just relized I got certified mail from the IRS. How screwed am I? I may have been a bit agressive prior to this year, but nothing ridiculous. This year I have transfered quite a bit to my bank account via neteller. I wonder if this sets off any flags. This happened to anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about telling us what is in the letter

blendedsuit
10-29-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about telling us what is in the letter

[/ QUOTE ]
no [censored],details?????

Dantes
10-29-2005, 07:39 PM
I got one of these a few months ago and it was 1040ES forms.

TheNoodleMan
10-29-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's certified, he's been dodging the delivery guy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet that doesn't raise any red flags.

ISF
10-29-2005, 08:08 PM
I dont know whats in the letter. I am not home much and dont really get much important in the mail, so havent really been paying attention.
I just noticed the note in my stack of mail, and it had been returned to the sender. When i spoke to one of my attorney friends who works for the city and was on aol when I noticed it he basically told me if its certified that means its notice they are serving me. I guess I will call them on monday to find out whats up.
My guess was that it was for something called structuring I think it is. Where people deposite under 10k multiple times to avoid the automatic reporting to the irs. As neteller has a 5k max etf several times I have had a string of 5k etfs from neteller to my account on the same day. I was curious if anyone had gotten in trouble for this. I havent done anything really ridiculous on my past tax returns, but I have taken a very agressive(maybe unjustifiable) depreciation on a real estate investment, and taken an education tax deduction for business school that was supposed to only be taken if the education was required to keep your current job even though I went full time. This was something many people did though so I kinda doubt this would set off a red flag.

Aytumious
10-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Did you properly report the funds from Neteller?

ISF
10-29-2005, 08:13 PM
I didnt really start playing till the end of last year, and only withdrew this year. So while I probably should have claimed my mediocre winnings last year I didnt, but there is no way they could have known about them as I never withdrew from the site last year. But yea I was going to report what I withdrew from the sites this year.