PDA

View Full Version : People always looking for a deal

10-29-2005, 09:47 AM
You get what you pay for. If you get a 20K car for 5K there is a catch. Dont look at prices just buy what you want or can afford.
Nothing more dumb than people thinking they got a great deal.

Sabrazack
10-29-2005, 09:48 AM
This is the stupidest thing i heard today. Congratulations.

10-29-2005, 09:52 AM
its rational pricing theory some day you will understand.

tomdemaine
10-29-2005, 09:54 AM
I'll sell you my mobile phone for $5000. Must be worth it right?

10-29-2005, 09:55 AM
if i go to the verizon store for a cell phone i assume they are giving me a fair price.

sublime
10-29-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if i go to the verizon store for a cell phone i assume they are giving me a fair price.

[/ QUOTE ]

or you could research the company and its compeitors and use them against each other to get a better deal.

then again, that would be SMART, and you are DUMB /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-29-2005, 10:35 AM
yeah you could probably save 50 - 100 bucks but you have to put in some work. my time is really really valuable though - thats why i post on here.

w_alloy
10-29-2005, 10:38 AM
This is obviously in response to the thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3806649&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) I started. Did you consider that I wanted a $5,000 car? I created the thread wondering if I would actually get what I paid for, and what the catch was. You apparently think I will get my value ("you get what you pay for"). Others dont.

Also...
[ QUOTE ]
Dont look at prices just buy what you want or can afford.

[/ QUOTE ]

...is pretty dumb and contradictory advice. Things are not always priced on value. Things like Consumer Reports exist for a reason. I do not feel I need to argue this point further, as it is fairly obvious, but I will (gladly) if you want me to.

10-29-2005, 11:28 AM
my response would be if you paid 5000 and got an audi or paid 5000 for a cavalier you got the same quality of car. as long as it was a reputable dealer. granted the cavalier would likely run better and the audi would look better.

Clarkmeister
10-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Easy, easy choice #74

jakethebake
10-29-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You get what you pay for. If you get a 20K car for 5K there is a catch. Dont look at prices just buy what you want or can afford.
Nothing more dumb than people thinking they got a great deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Markets are not always efficient.

Richard Tanner
10-29-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my response would be if you paid 5000 and got an audi or paid 5000 for a cavalier you got the same quality of car. as long as it was a reputable dealer. granted the cavalier would likely run better and the audi would look better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? What if say, the dealer didn't know how to accuratly price Audis/Caviliers. Or, what if the Cav/Audi had damage that lowered it's value but was easily, and cheaply, repairable, he just didn't feel like doing the work.
Is price really the end all indicator of quality.

Cody

gorie
10-29-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my time is really really valuable though - thats why i post on here.

[/ QUOTE ]
sexy.

RacersEdge
10-29-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? What if say, the dealer didn't know how to accuratly price Audis/Caviliers. Or, what if the Cav/Audi had damage that lowered it's value but was easily, and cheaply, repairable, he just didn't feel like doing the work.
Is price really the end all indicator of quality.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

But you are assuming the dealer is incompetent in the first case, and not interested in making money in the second case.

I never bought a chain saw before, but if I found one $100 at Lowes and one for $200 at Home Depot, I would be pretty confident the $200 one was much better.

gamblore99
10-29-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or you could research the company and its compeitors and use them against each other to get a better deal.

then again, that would be SMART, and you are DUMB /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For big purchases like cars, this is a good idea. But in general this is a waist of time. At least for me anyways.

Actually not so much a waist of time, but I am very lazy.

man
10-29-2005, 01:54 PM
you're assuming that the seller never makes mistakes with pricing. assuming that buyers and sellers are composed of the same group, this is not so. buyers will get a good deal as many times as sellers mess up.

also, different people obviously have different preference rankings, so one price will correlate to better or worse deals for everyone.

10-29-2005, 02:57 PM
Wow Dumb's logic just seems way off here (surprising given his moniker).
I actually dont try to get good deals and all that but have friends that do. In general, these people save a lot of money (A LOT) and are more efficient with what they do get.
Not everyone's time is more precious than saving a few bucks. Thats a flawed assumption and depends on the purchase. Also, by consistently working for better deals you discover avenues (such as Consumer Reports, experts) that will shorten the "deal-getting" process.
For Donald Trump (or yourself) time might be more valuable than the money saved. For everyone else, I think you are dead wrong.

g

Jules22
10-29-2005, 03:02 PM
what an odd thread

10-29-2005, 07:06 PM
yeah im sure the coolest people in the world post on twoplustwo.

eastbay
10-29-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be sending a Kirby vacuum cleaner representative to your house shortly. You won't be disappointed, as their $1200 vacuum cleaner will be worth every penny. Don't bother haggling, either, since obviously they wouldn't ask for $1200 unless it was worth it.

eastbay

[censored]
10-29-2005, 07:13 PM
just a heads up, I'm not sure OOT and you is going to work out.

make sure you check out the sticky at the top of the forum.

ddss6_99
10-29-2005, 07:14 PM
I have a '99 A4 Audi I bought for 20k with only 3800 miles on it. Best choice I ever made.

daryn
10-29-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be sending a Kirby vacuum cleaner representative to your house shortly. You won't be disappointed, as their $1200 vacuum cleaner will be worth every penny. Don't bother haggling, either, since obviously they wouldn't ask for $1200 unless it was worth it.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, that is a pretty serious vacuum

siccjay
10-29-2005, 07:16 PM
This is the dumbest thread I've ever seen.

ddss6_99
10-29-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the dumbest thread I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

do do chhhhh

siccjay
10-29-2005, 07:17 PM
No, I'm not joking.

10-29-2005, 07:46 PM
yeah well you have to make a few assumptions.
the seller cant know your thinking.
you should go the seller as opposed to him coming to you.
but if i go to best buy and get a tv im assuming their deal is as fair as circuit city.