PDA

View Full Version : Poor Blacks and entitlement culture

10-29-2005, 08:41 AM
One basic problem in this country is that politicians create a culture where balcks are told they are the victims. They are told that they cant do anything without governemnt help. The democrats use this message to gain 90% of their vote. Bottom line if you keep relying on the government you will stay poor.

cardcounter0
10-29-2005, 09:21 AM
I always ask for extra sour cream on my burritos at Taco Bell.

Richard Tanner
10-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Haha don't be too quick to whip out the "Taco Bell" hijack. The OP has a point, albeit a stupid and unthoughtout point.
But in typing this I realized I have neither the interst nor the creativity to make fun of his post in a way befiting the pointlessness of the post itself, so I like Nachoes bel Grande personally.

Cody

andyfox
10-29-2005, 12:11 PM
"balcks are told they are the victims. They are told that they cant do anything without governemnt help. The democrats use this message to gain 90% of their vote."

A couple of specific examples, please? Thanks.

cardcounter0
10-29-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you keep relying on the government you will stay poor

[/ QUOTE ]

An examination of the Bush Family fortune and their sucking at the public tit for generations makes this statement good for another laugh.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Khern
11-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Not exactly a specific example, but in "Black Rednecks and White Liberals", Sowell draws a picture (using lots of facts) of today's black culture as a mirror of several specific white cultures that were basically transplanted intact from poorly organised regions in Europe.

He argues that blacks in the north assimilated into that culture very well, while those in the south were hindered by a culturally poor white population, a population which itself has largely moved on.

He also says that today's liberals argue for the value of culture independant of what that culture has been shown to produce, and in doing so tie today's blacks to a culture adopted from yesterday's southern white immigrants.

I'm sure I have not really done justice to his position. The book is well worth reading.

John

jt1
11-05-2005, 04:02 PM
You'll have to explain your authors position better. But let me just say that a person born to an ignorant parent or parents who don't value education and who grows up in a crime infested neighborhood and who goes to a bottomed out school has very little chance of breaking out of his/her predictament. Perhaps 10% of those people are extraordinary enough to elevate themselves to a better life. Blaming the other 90% for just being average is fairly ignorant. Do you critisize the 90% of middle class offspring who don't retire as millionaires?

Khern
11-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Thomas Sowell writes that the culture of most blacks in America today was adopted from early southern white immigrants who came from one of three places, The northern borderlands of England, the Scottish Highlands, and from Ulster County, Ireland. All three of these were, "fridge areas... turbulant, if not almost lawless, regions." These white people brought with them a certain redneck or cracker culture including traits such as, "proneness to violence, neglect of education, sexual promiscuity, improvidence, drukenness, lack of entrepreneurship, reckless searches for exitement, lively music and dance, and a style of flamboyant oratory marked by strident rhetoric, unbridled emotions, and flamboyant imagery."

This culture transplanted from a nearly lawless region did not serve whites particularly well, and (in another essay) Sowell notes that at times, in america, there have been, "No Irish Need Apply" signs. But while this culture mostly faded from white populations, it did not fade from black ones, and today, it is often reinforced by white intellectuals (even though, ironically, it is not African) For instance, Sowell writes of speech patterns that have been traced from england that are today recognised as "black English", including words such as "ax" for "ask", "y'awl" for "you", "bile" for "boil", ect...

Sowell goes as far as to say, "White liberals in many roles-as intellectuals, politicians, celebrities, judges, teachers-have aided and abetted the purpetuation of a counterproductive and self-destructive lifestyle amoung black rednecks." He lists a few specifics, but this post is getting long...

Again, there is much more presented, and no doubt present much better, in his book, Black Rednecks and White Liberals. The book has motivated me to reconsider things which I had taken for granted for a long time.
http://www.tsowell.com/

-John

11-05-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One basic problem in this country is that politicians create a culture where balcks are told they are the victims. They are told that they cant do anything without governemnt help. The democrats use this message to gain 90% of their vote. Bottom line if you keep relying on the government you will stay poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Haliburton has been relying on the goverment for handouts during the entire Bush-Chenay regime. Haliburton has receved several no-bid contracts which has sent there stock price to the moon. Now that Bush's approval ratings are in the 20s, those no-bid contracts won't be as forthcoming and Haliburton stock price is beginning to reflect that.

Why do Repulcians focus so much on the few millions given out from the government to poor people and ignore the billions given out buy the goverment in the form of no-bid contracts and discounted leases on oil wells?

vulturesrow
11-05-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Haliburton has been relying on the goverment for handouts during the entire Bush-Chenay regime. Haliburton has receved several no-bid contracts which has sent there stock price to the moon. Now that Bush's approval ratings are in the 20s, those no-bid contracts won't be as forthcoming and Haliburton stock price is beginning to reflect that.

Why do Repulcians focus so much on the few millions given out from the government to poor people and ignore the billions given out buy the goverment in the form of no-bid contracts and discounted leases on oil wells?

[/ QUOTE ]

President Clinton's administration gave Halliburton-KBR a no bid contract as well. Learn your history.

jesusarenque
11-05-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

President Clinton's administration gave Halliburton-KBR a no bid contract as well. Learn your history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, Clinton got a blowjob from Monica, which obviously makes his point about HB moot.

vulturesrow
11-05-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, Clinton got a blowjob from Monica, which obviously makes his point about HB moot.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, didnt realize his post had a point.

jt1
11-05-2005, 06:19 PM
1) The Hallliburton comment is intellectually lazy. You might just as well have said 'your momma.'

2)About Sowell: Which does he argue is more detrimental to black culture 1)underfunded school districts (compared to their suburban counterparts)with burned out teachers who are intimidated by many of the kids they're trying to teach 2) underfunded, slightly corrupt police departments (compared to their suburban counterparts) 3)white intellectuals who continue to blame Slavery and Jim Crow for inner city failings?

InchoateHand
11-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Sowell is such a joke. That this "changed your beliefs" can only lead me to think you are an absolute moron with no insights into more probing questions of "culture" or "history."

hahahah

No point arguing with idiots, so I'll just laugh. Besides, the basic education in this [censored] country has failed you so badly that I doubt I'll be able to explain how woefully simplistic and intellectually bankrupt a gimp like Sowell is.

Khern
11-06-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) The Hallliburton comment is intellectually lazy. You might just as well have said 'your momma.'

2)About Sowell: Which does he argue is more detrimental to black culture 1)underfunded school districts (compared to their suburban counterparts)with burned out teachers who are intimidated by many of the kids they're trying to teach 2) underfunded, slightly corrupt police departments (compared to their suburban counterparts) 3)white intellectuals who continue to blame Slavery and Jim Crow for inner city failings?

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly cannot say for sure how Sowell would rate those three items in terms of importance as he only addressed the third directly in the material I have read. I can only guess that the he would consider #3 the primary problem from which the others, directly and indirectly, stem.

John

Khern
11-06-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sowell is such a joke. That this "changed your beliefs" can only lead me to think you are an absolute moron with no insights into more probing questions of "culture" or "history."

hahahah

No point arguing with idiots, so I'll just laugh. Besides, the basic education in this [censored] country has failed you so badly that I doubt I'll be able to explain how woefully simplistic and intellectually bankrupt a gimp like Sowell is.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, what?!?

Is there a moderator in this forum? Are blatent personal attacks really allowed? I can't help but think a lot of discussion must be lost this way.

John

CORed
11-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Congratulations on you excellen choice of screen name.

11-06-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a moderator in this forum? Are blatent personal attacks really allowed? I can't help but think a lot of discussion must be lost this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are in the "in" crowd, personal attacks are not only condoned, but encouraged.

I suspect you are not in that group. Expect your post to be deleted, mischaracterized as a personal attack, and for your account to be banned. I've seen it happen before.

elwoodblues
11-06-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Short-term no bid contracts are often a necessity in times of crisis. However, due to the fact that no-bids should be a short-term solution, no-bid contracts that have a long-term duration should be viewed with an eye of skepticism. I would argue that a 5 year no bid contract doesn't make much sense.

If the Clinton administration signed such deals, they too should be criticized.

vulturesrow
11-07-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Short-term no bid contracts are often a necessity in times of crisis. However, due to the fact that no-bids should be a short-term solution, no-bid contracts that have a long-term duration should be viewed with an eye of skepticism. I would argue that a 5 year no bid contract doesn't make much sense.

If the Clinton administration signed such deals, they too should be criticized.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont care about who gets critcized. The implication of the post I was responding to was that no bid contracts for Halliburton originated with the current administration, which is factually wrong. To my knowledge the GAO has yet to find any sort of issues with the awarding of no-bid contracts.

elwoodblues
11-07-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont care about who gets critcized...

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most ridiculous things that you've ever posted.

vulturesrow
11-07-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont care about who gets critcized...

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most ridiculous things that you've ever posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it ridiculous? I thought I was pretty clear about my reasons for posting about Haliburton and the no-bid contracts??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

caretaker1
11-11-2005, 07:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although it is not "a few millions", your point is spot on. I wish I knew the answer to this one.

caretaker1
11-11-2005, 07:37 AM
What took this comment so long?

nicky g
11-11-2005, 08:10 AM
"The northern borderlands of England, the Scottish Highlands, and from Ulster County, Ireland."

There is no such place as Ulster County, Ireland. Ulster is one of the four historic provinces of Ireland. There are thirty-two counties, none of which is called Ulster.

nicky g
11-11-2005, 08:13 AM
"hese white people brought with them a certain redneck or cracker culture including traits such as, "proneness to violence, neglect of education, sexual promiscuity, improvidence, drukenness, lack of entrepreneurship, reckless searches for exitement, lively music and dance, and a style of flamboyant oratory marked by strident rhetoric, unbridled emotions, and flamboyant is imagery.""

Lively music and dance! Uh-oh.

Way to replace anti-black racism with some anti-Celtic racism instead. I agree with whoever said this guy is an idiot.

"there have been, "No Irish Need Apply" signs"

Oh I see - so these kinds of phenomena are not only actually justified, but proof of the inferiority of the people targeted by them? And here was me thinking they were exampes of racism. How foolish of me.

<font color="white"> Get bent.</font>