PDA

View Full Version : help with straights on paired boards

10-29-2005, 03:34 AM
One of my biggest leaks seems to be overplaying straights on paired boards.

Given that you have no reads on your opponent and its heads up w/ a paired board, if you are donk betted or raised all in do you generally fold your straight?

what if a certion portion of your stack such as 1/3 is already committed?

I keep calling in these spots figuring ill see trips but everytime I get smashed in the face with a boat.

Macquarie
10-29-2005, 04:19 AM
Well,,,, it depends. Did the villain raise preflop? Has a high card or a low card paired? Is he loose or tight? Was it heads up going to the flop or did lots of people see the flop and fold? Is the board draw heavy?

Post some hands.

Lucky
10-29-2005, 04:20 AM
You're not looking at how much of 'your stack is committed" but pot odds.

With a read, I could be (with half my stack in) gettting 3 to 1 and fold straight if i just know. If i flop straight and bet it and he just calls, then springs to life on river when board pairs. If he's not overly tricky, i can easily fold.

10-29-2005, 04:31 AM
well lets assume you have just sat down and have absolutely no read on villain.

a situation that keeps coming up is if the board is QQTJ for example when I hold AK and villain called my raise after limping.

I then usually get check-raised all in (or close enough) on the turn and call hoping they have KQ,AQ, or 9T but keep seeing boats.

10-29-2005, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

a situation that keeps coming up is if the board is QQTJ for example when I hold AK and villain called my raise after limping.

I then usually get check-raised all in (or close enough) on the turn and call hoping they have KQ,AQ, or 9T but keep seeing boats.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a general rule, don't go broke with a flush or straight when the board is paired. It all depends, of course. If the guy is a maniac and the board is something like 6-7-8-2-2 and you have 9-10, this is a safer hand. Though I'm still not sure I want to go broke here.

On the parituclar hand that you mentioned above, I think you have to ask yourself what hands he would push all-in on this board. You raised preflop, so certainly he must be afraid of A-K. But he pushed anyway, so I think it's an easy fold.

Like I said, as a general rule I don't like to go broke in these situations. Most people aren't going to go crazy with trips when there's a possible straight or flush on board, so if they're eager to put a lot of money in the pot you just have to give them credit for it--without a read, at least. Obviously, if you're getting 10:1 on your money or somehting I would call.

But you just have to be willing to laydown a strong hand when someone is representing a bigger hand. I think that makes the difference between a breakeven or slightly winning player and someone who crushes SSNL.

By the way, you should expect to fold the best hand sometimes. But it doesn't reall matter. If you're facing an all-in bet 10 times and you actually have the best hand 3-4 times that's great. But the other 6-7 times, it costs you your whole stack. So you can fold the best hand close to half the time and still be saving yourself a lot of money over the long run.

scrapperdog
10-29-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to look to see if the cards that paired are likley to give someone a boat. QTJ are cards that people play a lot.... If the flop was QT2 and the duce paired I would still be catious with a strait but less so than when the cards are all high cards.

Edit.. BTW I hope you did not call a flop bet in the example you gave. If you are gonna draw to a gutshot at least be sure you hand is good if you make it.. nothing worse than taking a 1/10 shot then hitting and having it not be good.

10-29-2005, 12:28 PM
No, I never draw to gutshots without good odds. It usually occurs when I flop a broadway straight and then the board pairs on a later street, or make a continuation bet on a paired board and hit the straight on the turn or free card it and hit on the river.

In the example I gave I went broke. I have bad reasoning I guess because in 100$ NL I assume they would have AQ or KQ more often than not. It seems that its not QJ,QT,etc. that im seeing but usually big sets such as TT,JJ,QQ that limp in middle position.

I need to just start respecting large raises/check raises a lot more and start laying down straights on paired boards.

Thanks for all the help.