PDA

View Full Version : No other word for this but tyranny

natedogg
10-29-2005, 03:24 AM
http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/balko200510240837.asp

Some infuriating excerpts include:

[ QUOTE ]
Ironically, the state of Florida now pays for a morphine pump connected to Paey's spine which delivers the same class of medication at the same doses the state of Florida told him wasn't necessary, and put him in prison for trying to obtain.

[/ QUOTE ]

and this gem:

[ QUOTE ]
Publicly, Paey's prosecutors have conceded that the 25-year sentence was excessive, yet they insist that Paey himself is to blame, citing his refusal to accept a plea agreement. The chilling implication: Paey is serving prison time for drug distribution not because he's guilty of actually distributing drugs — the state admits as much — but because he insisted on exercising his constitutionally-protected right to a jury trial.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not furious about the drug war yet, you are just ignorant.

natedogg

MelchyBeau
10-29-2005, 02:52 PM
the prosecutors have given the defense team a strong weapon.

This is now falls under cruel and unusual punishment.

Melch

jokerthief
10-29-2005, 04:46 PM
The tyranny that our government levies on the country via the war on drugs is worse than terrorism IMAO. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

10-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Anyone know who appointed the judge? I'll put my money on Reagan or Bush or Bush.

jokerthief
10-29-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know who appointed the judge? I'll put my money on Reagan or Bush or Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just say Bush², it's easier.

HopeydaFish
10-29-2005, 11:35 PM
There is now strong evidence that the state of Florida and prison officials retaliated against Paey for speaking with Tierney. Two weeks after the interview, Paey was moved to a prison facility more than two hours from his wife and family. He was then moved even farther away, some 170 miles, to the Tomoka Correctional Institution near Daytona Beach. Sympathetic prison officials, other inmates, and medical staff have since told Paey he was moved away from his family because the guard who sat in on his interview with Tierney had complained to prison authorities about what Paey had revealed to the journalist.

At about the same time, prison medical staff told Paey that the state of Florida had refused to give permission for them to refill his morphine pump. For Paey, this information was the equivalent of a death sentence. The state of Florida left him to agonize for weeks before finally authorizing the refill, the day before his pump was scheduled to run dry. Here again, Paey has since been given strong reason to believe that the threat to withhold his medication was in retaliation for relaying his story to the New York Times.

tomdemaine
10-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Seriously just gather up all your constitutionally mandated guns (sic), have your anti-government revolution already and stop bugging me about it. The army's stretched pretty thin nowadays.

hetron
10-30-2005, 09:29 PM
This is outrageous but I don't think this falls under the "war on drugs" is screwed up category. It is more typical of what happens when people who have no idea about medicine try to make medical laws. A very screwed up situation indeed.

Cyrus
10-31-2005, 01:33 AM
When they finally come for you, who will be there to help you?

The neo-conservatives (a political entity whose very existence is doubted by some in tbis forum!) have a specific and very malignant agenda. Almost all of that agenda needs Orwellian-scale misnomers to succeed, eg. "political freedoms", "fiscal conservatives", "liberal press", etc.

So far, the neo-cons are batting 1.000 with it. And their enemies are effectively silenced, one by one.

natedogg
11-02-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When they finally come for you, who will be there to help you?

The neo-conservatives (a political entity whose very existence is doubted by some in tbis forum!) have a specific and very malignant agenda. Almost all of that agenda needs Orwellian-scale misnomers to succeed, eg. "political freedoms", "fiscal conservatives", "liberal press", etc.

So far, the neo-cons are batting 1.000 with it. And their enemies are effectively silenced, one by one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've finally come unhinged. The abuses of the drug war are certainly not the sole province of the "neocons" .

natedogg

BadBoyBenny
11-02-2005, 10:41 PM
What the hell are you talking about? Where's the basis? The drug war is the neocon's fault? Get real...

BadBoyBenny
11-02-2005, 10:54 PM
It was Jeb (http://www.state.fl.us/eog/press_releases/2000/jan/diskey.html)

whiskeytown
11-02-2005, 11:03 PM
I was reading a story about a non-violent drug dealer in Salt Lake City being arrested - He had a gun on him when he was arrested and the Judge had to give him the mandated 55 years - he gave a child killer/molester 25 years but had to give a mininum mandated sentence to this 50 something guy for selling dope.

I use weed, and I have a gun, but I'm not committing a felony by having one - but in this case, they said it fell under a statute and although the judge knew it was BS, he said until it was changed he had to institute a mininum mandatory sentence of 55 years.

I wil never again vote for anyone who thinks I'm a criminal for smoking weed or that I deserve to go to jail for doing so - it's a bullshit law from Jim Crow days and it's time for it to go.

[censored] alcoholics telling me I can't smoke weed - bullshit.

RB

tylerdurden
11-02-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wil never again vote for anyone who thinks I'm a criminal for smoking weed or that I deserve to go to jail for doing so - it's a bullshit law from Jim Crow days and it's time for it to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, you want government, you take the good with the bad.

Now you see what it's like for everyone that disagrees with you when government does what YOU want.

natedogg
11-03-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was reading a story about a non-violent drug dealer in Salt Lake City being arrested - He had a gun on him when he was arrested and the Judge had to give him the mandated 55 years - he gave a child killer/molester 25 years but had to give a mininum mandated sentence to this 50 something guy for selling dope.

I use weed, and I have a gun, but I'm not committing a felony by having one - but in this case, they said it fell under a statute and although the judge knew it was BS, he said until it was changed he had to institute a mininum mandatory sentence of 55 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sickening.

[ QUOTE ]
I wil never again vote for anyone who thinks I'm a criminal for smoking weed or that I deserve to go to jail for doing so

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome! So who will you vote for now that all Democrats and Republicans are off your list?

natedogg

11-03-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you see what it's like for everyone that disagrees with you when government does what YOU want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he will never see it that way.

Peter666
11-03-2005, 01:28 AM
This is the best answer I heard in a long time. Everybody is just talk, no action. The USA is a country founded by a revolution, but they don't want to change anything with a revolution. Blame it on Bush...wah wah wah...I need my drugs...boo hoo

Maybe they can all move to a deserted Island where PVN can initiate his rule of not initiating any rules as per the ancient Celts (although the history books say they had many fiefdoms and traded slaves) and start importing drugs.

whiskeytown
11-03-2005, 03:30 AM
there have been some Democrats who have supported decriminalization/legalization - Jimmy Carter, Paul Wellstone.

MN used to have a grassroots party who's sole purpose was the decriminalization of marijuana - the candidate now works for NORML but the fuckers never check or read their emails or else they're too blitzed to check -

RB

whiskeytown
11-03-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

things change.

RB

Cyrus
11-03-2005, 05:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The abuses of the drug war are certainly not the sole province of the "neocons" .

[/ QUOTE ]

I generalised. (What's wrong with you people? Every other time someone makes a tangential point of generalizes, you scream "bloody hijack!" What is this, the TwoPlusTwo Airline?)

As to the neo-cons and The War On Drugs ...yeah, right! As if the agenda of the two camps, the liberals' and the conservatives', treat drug use the same way.

Where in the solar system are you guys living ?