PDA

View Full Version : Limping into pots at later levels.

10-29-2005, 03:17 AM
I was thinking about my play a little bit, and I realised that I very, very rarely limp into pots.

The only times I can think of are after several other limpers with hands like low PPs and suited connectors in the first 3-4 levels. Certainly once the blinds reach ~100/200 I never do it.

Are there situations after the first hour when limping can be more profitable than raising or folding?

10-29-2005, 04:02 AM
I'd say that limping in later levels is much less useful but can still be used under the right conditions. If you've got an absolute monster and you want action it can be a good idea. Remember that this greatly increases your variance, but also gives potential for a gigantic payoff. This is a debatable strategy, but sometimes it's useful, especially if your in EP and expect a later player to raise. Another situation when it can be good is similar to the early tourney situations that you described. If there are several limpers in front of you hand you have an SC or small PP, and both you and at least one of the limpers have at least 20x bb (the more the better, as you are getting better implied odds). Remember, you have to have chips to win them. It doesn't matter if the other guy has 1000x bb if you've only got 5. You can only take 5 from him. Limping can also be done in the SB with PP or SC (and sometimes non suited connectors or suited non connectors) given the huge pot odds.

Will

mshalen
10-29-2005, 07:27 AM
In a very old post (no idea how to find it) Fossilman discussed a limping play for the later stages of a MTT that I have started using (sometimes).

If you are on the button and want to steal the blinds then limp in instead of raise. This does a few things: may pull chips in from the SB who can get in cheap, if the BB has any kind of a hand he may wonder why you are limping instead of raising (this creates confusion in his mind)and if you raise in an obviuos steal attempt the BB may re-raise you with air just to defend and then what do you do?

Then you bet out on the flop and represent a big hand. Hopefully they fold.

I will only try this once or twice at a table but it generally works.