PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't start

TruFloridaGator
10-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Had just finished cleaning up some viruses on a friend's computer. Finished that up and went and installed Norton Internet Security 2005. It finished installing and then it asked for a restart. Now the computer won't get past the BIOS screen. I can get in to the BIOS setup, but all I hear if I go any further is what I assume to the the hardrive making a clicking sound every 2 seconds or so. Is the hard drive dead? This is a laptop as well, so I don't know much about the hardware aspect of it.

Thanks

jedinite
10-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Norton loads before the OS at the driver level, so its certainly possible that its the AV that's hosing the system.

Try booting off a boot disk, which will tell you if the hard drive is bad. you can make a boot disk from any working copy of windows, or you can boot off the windows install media assuming you've got that.

you can try booting directly in to safe mode by holding either shift or F8 after the bios screen, that will usually bypass the antivirus startup and let you get in and uninstall.

I'd recommend AVG as a better, free solution over Norton: http://free.grisoft.com

Not affilaited with AVG, just a very satisfied user.

stabn
10-28-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Norton loads before the OS at the driver level, so its certainly possible that its the AV that's hosing the system.

[/ QUOTE ]
How you said this is not exactly correct. In any case if it isn't getting past the BIOS screen it isn't norton, it's the HD. You can try putting in another computer and seeing if you can access it if you want to be sure but the clicking + not going past the bios screen sounds toast to me. Also try going into the BIOS (if you can) and see if it still shows up there.

TruFloridaGator
10-28-2005, 08:39 PM
It actually let me get past the BIOS and let me load Windows in safe mode, however it then locked up and it started the clicking noise again. From there I turned it off and on, entered the BIOS setup and it says "None" under hard drive. I'm guessing it's dead.

If so, what's the next step? It's an older laptop, no warranty left, etc.

MyMindIsGoing
10-29-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If so, what's the next step? It's an older laptop, no warranty left, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a new hard drive.

10-29-2005, 02:16 AM
I agree completely with Stabn. Norton is not the problem, the hdd is. Your drive is on its last legs.

Do not boot up more than necessary. Spinning up the drive will jeporadize your data. The clicking may be due to the heads failing to properly connect with the tracks on the plates.

I could be wrong, but it sounds as if your best bet is to pop the drive and transfer your data to another computer. You can buy a drive enclosure that will allow you to connect your laptop hdd to another computer.

Good luck.

MyMindIsGoing
10-29-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I could be wrong, but it sounds as if your best bet is to pop the drive and transfer your data to another computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but do not expect to be able to save most data with a drive that is in that bad shape.

10-29-2005, 02:44 AM
Agreed. I was talking best case scenario.