PDA

View Full Version : When to take a stand?

fnurt
06-11-2003, 01:16 PM
$50 NL tourney on Stars. Down to about 50 players and I have T1800 which puts me among the smallest stacks. Blinds are at 100/200 and going up to 200/400 soon, probably in the next orbit.

I am dealt A8o in the BB. Folded around to SB who raises to T600. SB has about the same stack size as me (I barely cover him). I don't know much about SB, seems like a normal player.

Obviously there's a fairly large range of hands SB will raise with here. Equally obvious is that I'm going to have to take a stand sometime soon and try to double up. The question is, is now the time?

ohkanada
06-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Seems perfectly reasonable time for me.

I made the same play last night in PL vs a short stacked button raiser when I was in the BB. I was a tad shorter stacked then the button and we were both close to the money. In my case the button folded and my A8 was the winner.

Ken Poklitar

Greg (FossilMan)
06-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Sounds like a reraise all-in to me. You're most likely ahead, and a raise here is enough to make him fold some hands, so do it.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

cferejohn
06-11-2003, 03:38 PM
I agree. In fact, I did the same with A9o in a very similar position. Ideally, you'd want to do it against someone who is a good enough player to lay it down at least sometimes.