PDA

View Full Version : Did I wuss out with AKs?

Fitz
06-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Pokerstars 20+2 NL tourney. Still fairly early about 175 of 220 still left. I've got a just above average stack of about 2300. Blinds 25 and 50. I've been doing well at this table. I've stolen some blinds, and I believe I've only shown down 1 hand so far and it was good. The other may take me for a bit of a loose cannon, but I'm not.

I catch AKs in UTG+1 I raise 150 to 200. UTG+2 Reraises 250 to 450. UTG+3 pushes all in making it 3300 to go. That makes 3375 in the pot, and I've got 2065 left and UTG+2 has me covered.

I thought for a little while and then mucked my AK. I thought with all that aggression shown from early position, it was very likely the raiser might have AA or KK. I figrured worse case scenario, I was up against at least one medium to large pair and I didn't want to coin flip so early in the tourney especially not with the possiblity UTG+2 might come along and make it 3 way.

This and one other situation I ran into today make me ask about being in EP in a tourney situation. Do you just have to be that much more selective about what you play? When you make a 3 to 4x BB raise and get played back at for your whole stack, it makes me feel like I'm groping in the dark for the right move.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

MtSmalls
06-11-2003, 01:48 PM
I don't think that you 'wussed out', I think you looked at your options, decided you had an advantage that was greater than the coin flip possibilities and saved your stack to put in when you had better odds. Its early, your starting to accumulate chips, and the chance to triple up is tempting, but your analysis here shows you were probably a dog going in. Good Job.

ohkanada
06-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Seems reasonable to muck AKs after being raised and re-raised. Against some opponents it is a mistake to muck but on average the 3rd raise means QQ+/AK. Last night playing PL, I opened with AJ and was raised and reraised. I easily mucked and the 3rd raiser only had AQ. So some raisers are weaker than you expect.

You certainly have to be more selective in what you play or raise with in EP. Hands like AJ/AT or low/medium pairs really don't like to called or re-raised. So when you raise with them don't be afraid to muck to the re-raise. The key is to know what you plan to do if re-raised before you even raise. If you have enough chips that mucking won't hurt then you can raise.

Ken Poklitar